1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 69 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 720Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1021 of 1043 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I had a plan for finishing the brakes this evening. It ran into the wall of 108* with 18% humidity in the workshop.

Um, maybe tomorrow. Or, I'll wait until late tonight. Probably not.
cda951 likes this.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. Deposit down on another vehicle...stop the madness!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1043 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:12 AM

Garage
18% humidity - only in my dreams. the 90 / 90 days (90 degrees 90% humidity) are fast approaching in Nebraska. Thank God the wind always blows!
horsewidower likes this.

84 Spider - Long gone, but started the addiction; 85 GTV6 - Current project, Supercharged, Mega Squirt; 88 Verde - "Milo" It has a name, must be a keeper
post #1023 of 1043 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:36 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Lol, I cannot live in that kind of weather, having tried it for two years in DC. As you said, 90+F, 1000% humidity. Plus, the allergies I suffer from on the East Coast whenever we visit. One day, and boom, itchy eyes, packed up sinus, sore throat, the works. Something grows there we don't have here, as I have no allergy problems at home. Bought a brand new 78 GTV when we were there because it did not have a/c, which meant that there was no way they were going to sell it to anyone living there. got a nice deal to take it off their hands.
horsewidower likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 06-13-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1024 of 1043 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Taking a train up to Seattle this weekend, to my sister and B-I-L's 60th birthday party. I've always wanted to try the Amtrak Coast Starlight route. Bummer is that I get on at midnight!

The trip back should be fun and (provided that the transaction goes off as planned), bringing back another Alfa...but it should NOT be a fixer. Planning on hugging the Sierra Nevada foothills for about 850 miles, another route I've not tried before. I truly detest Hwy 5, so this should be a welcome change. Adds about two hours to the trip, but I'm planning on taking two days.

Bob
alfaloco likes this.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. Deposit down on another vehicle...stop the madness!!!
post #1025 of 1043 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:39 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Keep me posted. Will be around.
horsewidower likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #1026 of 1043 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubrele View Post
When the wheel does come off, is it attached to the ribbed hub-like piece behind it? If so, that will be the next challenge if I ever get the wheel removed. My replacement wheel does not have that piece.
Circling back on the steering wheel with an update that I finally got it removed! I ended up having to tap new threads in my hub. I drilled it to a new larger size and tapped for M7 (and odd size, I know, but I had fresh all threads, nuts, etc.) I used extra strength loc-tite to secure the all threads, double nuts to reduce chance of slippage and then tightened up my puller sprayed some pb blaster and waited a day. The next day I tried to tighten it further, and it slipped. I cursed quite a bit as I attempted to tighten further and felt things just get looser. It took me a good 30 seconds to realize that the wheel had released and mission was accomplished!

Next challenge is to deal with the metal hub. I started another thread for that rather than continue to hijack this thread. Thanks all for the ideas and suggestions; there were several thrown out that really helped me get on track.
horsewidower likes this.

86 GTV6
post #1027 of 1043 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Finished rebuilding the rear brakes this evening. Finally starting to put things back together. Should be back running around this weekend.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing the improvement in braking ability.

post #1028 of 1043 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:56 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I hope it brakes to your liking!

"No chance, no destiny, no fate can circumvent, change or control the firm resolve of a determined soul"

73 Spider
80 BMW e21(Sold, gone to Houston)
79 Spider (sold)
78 Spider (sold, gone to U K)
Greg
post #1029 of 1043 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaboutvegas View Post
I hope it brakes to your liking!
You and me both.
Renaldo and Alfaboutvegas like this.

post #1030 of 1043 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

And we're off and running again...

Well, getting back to this after a few days off. Had to deal with some medical things, and finally gave in and decided to take the F350 diesel dually to someone who knows what they are doing. My tools and patience just aren't up to the task.

So, to kick us off again, here are some pictures of rebuilding the calipers, c-clamps are an important tool for the work, as I couldn't get the pistons to retract without some pressure as well as needing them to push the spring down in order to properly install the c-clip. Make certain that you have put the little push rod in correctly or you can't get the assembly back in, you have to measure to make sure it's properly seated. I had to use grease to hold the pushrod in the adjustment screw, dropping it in and hoping you have it properly seated in the adjustment screw failed time after time:
Attached Images

alfaloco likes this.

Last edited by horsewidower; 07-15-2019 at 01:32 PM.
post #1031 of 1043 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

And more:
Attached Images

post #1032 of 1043 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 03:18 AM

Looking good horsewidower...very satisfying I’m sure.
post #1033 of 1043 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 06:10 AM

Looking very good. Like remanufactured quality.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #1034 of 1043 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks, guys. This is like most things, the first attempt is fraught with ignorance, its easy after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Renaldo likes this.

post #1035 of 1043 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:03 AM

Garage
While you have these out, I'd recommend making a notch on the parking brake arms about 1/8" further from the pivot than the current. You can relocate the spring to the new notch. This helps provide a bit addition release torque to minimize sticking of the parking brake. I have not seen any adverse effects from this modification.
horsewidower likes this.

84 Spider - Long gone, but started the addiction; 85 GTV6 - Current project, Supercharged, Mega Squirt; 88 Verde - "Milo" It has a name, must be a keeper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode