1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 67 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 813Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #991 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

5 stores, no bueno. Back to the internet.

I did pick up a couple that seemed to fit well, they can serve as size surrogates when I grease them and see if the size works properly. I'll post the size if they pass the test.

Oh well, on to other work.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:47 PM

Garage
1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
Taking the tool that I borrowed, I removed the all-thread from the tool and screwed them into the threaded holes provided at the base of the steering wheel. Then it was just a case of installing the all-thread threw the slots in the tool, tightening the all-thread nuts and snugging the tool against the steering shaft. I did lubricate the all the threads. No reason to fight friction.

A couple of wacks with a small ball peen and the steering wheel was loose.

Digging up a post from earlier in this thread - steering wheel removal. I am trying to remove mine and itís giving me a heck of a time. One of the all threads keeps slipping the threads when it gets too tight,but Iím pretty sure Iíve got the right size. Iíve had it under pressure and daily soaking of pb blaster plus hitting it with a small sledge hammer. Not budging an inch! Any additional tips out there?

When the wheel does come off, is it attached to the ribbed hub-like piece behind it? If so, that will be the next challenge if I ever get the wheel removed. My replacement wheel does not have that piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alfaloco likes this.

86 GTV6
post #993 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:40 AM

Garage
Steering Wheel

Mine took about 5 days of this process before it finally popped loose.
jubrele likes this.

Tom Henneka
75 Alfetta GT (Original owner), 92 164S, 86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubrele View Post
Digging up a post from earlier in this thread - steering wheel removal. I am trying to remove mine and it’s giving me a heck of a time. One of the all threads keeps slipping the threads when it gets too tight,but I’m pretty sure I’ve got the right size. I’ve had it under pressure and daily soaking of pb blaster plus hitting it with a small sledge hammer. Not budging an inch! Any additional tips out there?

When the wheel does come off, is it attached to the ribbed hub-like piece behind it? If so, that will be the next challenge if I ever get the wheel removed. My replacement wheel does not have that piece.
I had the good fortune of having had someone take it off in the past. I can say, with some confidence, that it had been in place for a minimum of 8 years. I did take a rubber mallet to the back of the steering wheel hub, carefully, a couple of times. But, it was very much like what you're doing, although with an Alfa tool, as opposed to the common store bought remover. I can say that it worked much like your picture. What I can't quite tell is how much space there is between the flange on your tool and the top of the wheel. If the flange is resting on the top of the wheel, you won't get anywhere. You're pushing down and pulling up at the same time. (At least in my feeble brain, I wanted to get some elasticity in the system) You should have nuts on the bottom of the flange, screwed up the all thread, to create some space. I can't quite tell if you have them there, given the picture. If you do have space, then it's a case of lubrication, persuasive tightening and wacking the center pin with a hammer.

Once you have it off, if I remember, there are 4 screws left to remove. Pretty easy from there.

Bob
jubrele likes this.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

Last edited by horsewidower; 05-28-2019 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Disclaimer given my admitted lack of engineering understanding.
post #995 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Hmmm, I am assuming that you've loosened up the nut. I loosened mine a few turns, but left it on in order to capture the wheel when it came apart.

post #996 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Leaving this here for fiddling around with:

https://oringcalculator.eriksgroup.com/

https://www.mcmaster.com/o-rings

https://www.marcorubber.com/o-ring-g...iderations.htm

http://blog.parker.com/selecting-the...-squeeze-ratio

http://blog.parker.com/o-ring-squeez...-always-better

https://www.sealingdevices.com/o-rings-size-chart

http://www.sealseastern.com/OringPlugSeal.asp

Okay, okay, I'm going overboard. But it galls me to think that I have to spend what has to be spent to buy a reman'd brake caliper for the want of less than $1.00 worth of o-rings. Sorta pisses me off.

Especially when I looked at what I thought were reman'd gold passivated zinc calipers and realizing some reman vendor painted them gold. These are not hard to work on, they are tedious. And, with the caliper rebuild kit, which seems to be just the rubber boot, hold-on wire, and the piston seal, and a couple of itty bitty o-rings, these things can be easily done. IF they were in stock, Centerline sells the repair kit for $16.50, and I assume that does not include the o-rings, add another $1.00. So for less than $20.00, assume postage, you could rebuild both calipers, instead of spending $500 at Centerline for new calipers. I don't know what you earn per hour, but I think it's worth killing a few brain cells.

Bob
alfaloco likes this.

Last edited by horsewidower; 05-28-2019 at 03:50 PM. Reason: On a rant.
post #997 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 03:26 PM

Jubrele...
And...when you say the all-threads are slipping, do you mean moving around in the slots in the puller base, or pulling OUT of the steering wheel hub?
If it's the former, that shouldn't matter too much.
If it's the latter...I don't think you do have the right threads (6mm metric, IIRC). Best check that, or you could make life even harder. If the all-threads are deforming, use bolts instead.
Lastly, with that smallish socket handle you're using you would struggle to put much tension on the puller....you need to give it a fair tweak so you're applying a decent pulling force.
So, do take note of other posters' advice to leave the nut well unwound, but still on the shaft, coz it will likely go POP when it gives.
horsewidower and jubrele like this.
post #998 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 03:45 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Another trick is to get a good bit of tension on the puller bolt then give the end a good whack with a hammer. The shock helps a lot in popping them loose.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #999 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 04:56 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Still working on those rear calipers I see ... sorry mate, had to say it

Pete
horsewidower likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #1000 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:59 AM

I dont know where you're getting $500 for a pair of rear calipers at centerline. They're $159 each...and they're the real deal, properly zinc plated like ATE did them. I've scrutinized those centerline rear calipers before, including a full teardown on a supplied caliper and they're the best available from any vendor I've seen. And I've seen many.
Centerline also sells the split caliper o rings. Part number BK480. Pricey but they're the right ones. I've bought some before that are the wrong size but were close...they leaked.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
post #1001 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

1,000th POST!!!!!!

On the occasion of the 1,000 post to this thread. Just a reminder of where we started:
Attached Images

alfaloco, Renaldo and jbundy like this.

Last edited by horsewidower; 05-29-2019 at 11:19 AM.
post #1002 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingswim2006 View Post
I dont know where you're getting $500 for a pair of rear calipers at centerline. They're $159 each...and they're the real deal, properly zinc plated like ATE did them. I've scrutinized those centerline rear calipers before, including a full teardown on a supplied caliper and they're the best available from any vendor I've seen. And I've seen many.
Centerline also sells the split caliper o rings. Part number BK480. Pricey but they're the right ones. I've bought some before that are the wrong size but were close...they leaked.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Ooops, my bad. Included the core charges.

post #1003 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
What I can't quite tell is how much space there is between the flange on your tool and the top of the wheel. Bob

Thank you for this important point. When I read this I sheepishly thought ďdamn you, Physics, foiled again!Ē I thought for sure this was the answer. Went home, reset the flange with proper space and gave it a go. But still, no luck.

Quote:
If you do have space, then it's a case of lubrication, persuasive tightening and wacking the center pin with a hammer.
Bob

Have been at it for a several days. Deploying more lubricant and patience. I will say that I have really whacked at the back of the wheel quite hard with a hammer as well (backside of spokes, with protective cover and as close as possible to center), but zero sign of progress. Maybe need to look for that Alfa specific puller next but for now I will keep at it.

Justin

horsewidower likes this.

86 GTV6
post #1004 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubrele View Post
Have been at it for a several days. Deploying more lubricant and patience. I will say that I have really whacked at the back of the wheel quite hard with a hammer as well (backside of spokes, with protective cover and as close as possible to center), but zero sign of progress. Maybe need to look for that Alfa specific puller next but for now I will keep at it.

Justin
You can't heat it with a torch, the damage to all the plastics would be devastating. I wonder if you could try one of the "Freeze-off" products? You'd just have to be careful with all the plastic while it's brittle.

Send me a PM with your address. The Alfa specific tool is a loaner from my patron saint in Richmond. I have a number of loaner items I need to get back to him, and maybe we can arrange a date wherein I can swing by and give it a go.

Bob

post #1005 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:57 PM

Garage
1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
Jubrele...If it's the latter...I don't think you do have the right threads (6mm metric, IIRC). Best check that, or you could make life even harder. If the all-threads are deforming, use bolts instead.

With this suggestion I went and picked up a 6mm metric threaded rod but it slides right in-too small. Or maybe it was correct and I have destroyed my threads with the 1/4Ē fine thread I was using and that seemed like a good fit. Canít find a long enough bolt due to that integrated hub. Iíve got the center nut loose but still on the threads, and Iíve got a larger wrench for some leverage but the threads slip before it gets super strong. Will get after it again tonight.

86 GTV6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode