1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 66 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 703Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #976 of 1026 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaloco View Post
That sounds like a standard AN size O ring, Bob, and it's a 2-011. Not metric, I bet. And the EPDM compound would be correct also, for brake fluid.
Thanks for that clarification. I'm not really in my element when it comes to this. I'm a blind guy looking for the needle in the hay stack.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. Deposit down on another vehicle...stop the madness!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #977 of 1026 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:46 PM

Garage
That's fine, Bob-- say if there's a good industrial rubber and seal supplier nearby, maybe they can measure the gland in that adjuster and the bore ID, and find a ring size that will work, in EPDM. I've seen a Parker Seal store do that for walk-in customers with hydraulics problems.

Unless you can determine the size needed for the other ring.
horsewidower likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #978 of 1026 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I highly recommend a book that was mentioned in Chairmankaga's AC thread. "Just Needs a Recharge, the Hack Mechanic Guide to Vintage Air Conditioning" by Rob Siegel. I have two other books on air conditioning, and even though I'm only a couple of chapters in, this book is by far the best.
alfaloco likes this.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. Deposit down on another vehicle...stop the madness!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #979 of 1026 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:32 PM

Garage
I have Rob Seigel's "Ran When Parked" on my next read list. Hoping it will be as good as Peter Egan.

Other recommendation - "Go like hell". About the Ford / Ferrari wars. Or a repeat favorite - Anatoly Arutunoff, well.. about Toly.

That should fill the blank times in your summer!
horsewidower likes this.

84 Spider - Long gone, but started the addiction; 85 GTV6 - Current project, Supercharged, Mega Squirt; 88 Verde - "Milo" It has a name, must be a keeper
post #980 of 1026 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_toro View Post
I have Rob Seigel's "Ran When Parked" on my next read list. Hoping it will be as good as Peter Egan.

Other recommendation - "Go like hell". About the Ford / Ferrari wars. Or a repeat favorite - Anatoly Arutunoff, well.. about Toly.

That should fill the blank times in your summer!
I'm already rereading Harold Bettes "Engine Airflow". Still my favorite airflow book. And I **** near have them all.

I'm just starting to enter data into my engine simulation software for the Alfa V6 so I thought I'd take a run through that book again.

post #981 of 1026 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Mildly frustrated, waiting for a few o-rings from the UK. Usually the UK vendors ship things faster than the domestic vendors. I'm just impatient given my desire to drive the car. It's actually amazing how fast international parts get to us. I should be thankful for the ability to obtain obscure parts.

Jonesing for a crazy foothill drive with real brakes under the car!!!

post #982 of 1026 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:19 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
For all your o-ring needs.

https://www.mcmaster.com/o-rings
horsewidower likes this.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #983 of 1026 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:16 PM

I’ve had better luck here. Especially for metric o rings.
https://www.theoringstore.com/
horsewidower likes this.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #984 of 1026 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

My initial, just opened the packaging, take on the o-rings purchased from across the pond is...oh, these aren't right.

We'll find out soon.

Purchased an R&T anthology from justcallmefred. It covers some of the Alfetta and GTV6 years, including a 24,000 mile test. Confirms several things:

1. The GTV6 is not nose heavy. I see that over and over again in comments. My scaling of the car refuted that notion. But it was interesting to see several R&T tests with the weight bias listed as 50/50. Alfetta?51/49. So the Alfetta is more nose heavy than the GTV6. Probably has more to do with bumpers, than the engine. The GTV6 engine weighs in at less than 400 lbs. I should grab my scales and weigh the 4 vs the 6.

2. The complaints then are the same as now. Shifter, transaxle, air conditioning, quality of the interior.

3. When compared to a 924 turbo and a 280 turbo, all the testers chose the Alfa...price dependent, only one changed his mind to the Datsun.

4. High praise for the engine and the handling. As can be expected.

Taking a few days off, hope to get some things done. Although our allmaintenaceequimpmentbreaks season (spring) has been extended with recent rains. I'm sure I'll be fixing several things...and The Lovely Donna has scheduled a horse show for students on Saturday...sigh.
alfaloco likes this.

post #985 of 1026 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Here are the two videos I've been watching to help guide me through the rear brake caliper work:

alfaloco likes this.

post #986 of 1026 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

A couple of in progress pictures:
Attached Images

alfaloco and NMMilano like this.

post #987 of 1026 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I took off the rear exhaust in order to wrap the area near the rear caliper. Pretty disappointed with the failure of the high temp paint. The black that is flaking is probably due to operator error, I don't recall doing a proper clean there. The tips are going to need to be stripped back. Bummer.

Also, more caliper pictures. These may end up being practice calipers. The finish is pretty much done, while the calipers still on the car have their gold passivated zinc still intact...or I could just paint these with the appropriate paint. Not really looking for any aesthetic enhancement, just looking for protection.
Attached Images

alfaloco and NMMilano like this.

Last edited by horsewidower; 05-24-2019 at 10:59 AM.
post #988 of 1026 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:24 AM

Garage
Painting the rear muffler is pretty much and annual event for me. The rear muffler does get hot, and even high temp grill paint doesn't seem to stay. Plus gravel blasting!

84 Spider - Long gone, but started the addiction; 85 GTV6 - Current project, Supercharged, Mega Squirt; 88 Verde - "Milo" It has a name, must be a keeper
post #989 of 1026 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:04 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Years and years ago when I had a CJ-5, I went through a few pairs of Hooker headers, and the paint always did that with in months.
Are those calipers off of the car, or spares? Lots of gook in that one piston, but at least you got it out. I've attempted this refurb project 2x, and both times ended up buying reman'd calipers. Had to use compressed air to blow the piston out of the housing, and it sort of shot out 'someplace' in the garage...

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6
post #990 of 1026 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by John533i View Post
Are those calipers off of the car, or spares?
The ones in the picture are spares. However, the ones on the car have seized. I'm still settling on which ones I want to rebuild. So far, this has been practice and curiosity.

On the o-rings from across the pond, the large one appears correct (a little looser than I'd like), the small one...Ah, nope. Unless Ace, a McParts store or a big box auto parts store (also known as HD or Lowes) have them, I'm buggered for this weekend.

Here's a nice chart on brake fluid compatibility and o-ring material:

https://www.efunda.com/designstandar...ke%20Fluid#mat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode