1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 60 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 813Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #886 of 1174 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:49 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
"I'm going to take a week off work and do a lap of New Zealand"

Have done that a couple of times. Would like to do it again. The South Island is our fav, for just about everything, although last time there we met AlexG in Hamilton, south of Auckland. Neat guy, let me drive his blue Alfa V6 Spyder across town in a "Mr Toad's Wild Ride" drive following him as he drove our rental car to his house. Needless to say, neat drive. Hope he is doing fine.
It was driving from Dunedin to Bluff in a rental car recently that gave me the idea

Pete
horsewidower likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #887 of 1174 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

It is, finally, landscaping and equipment breakage season, also known as spring.

However, some things were accomplished. The goal was to change the door handles and troubleshoot the window mechanism. The door handle steps were as described, but I've added some pictures. What did surprise me was that the handle is attached to a cage on the inside of the door that presses against the door skin, and of course mine had a bunch of surface rust. It's currently sitting in the ultra sonic cleaner with Evaporust. I'll get it cleaned up and repainted before installing. Here were the normal steps
Attached Images

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #888 of 1174 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

And then it went bad.
Attached Images

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #889 of 1174 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Above, the first picture is what you need when the dreaded PO rounds out the phillips head screw that holds on the arm rest. The second is when the cam position sensor goes out in the diesel dually. Not related, but certainly both are time consuming.

When I got both of those two annoyances taken care of, I had some time to continue working on the door.

I'm in the midst of trying to decide what to do about the hack job on the door that removed a bunch of support for the window winding mechanism. The things people do when they need those "sweet sounds". Yeah, go ahead and wack the support to make room for that big speaker. My OCD is tingling as I really want to form a new support and weld it in. MUST NOT SUCCUMB!!!! We can come back to it. I need to make this usable on a daily basis
Attached Images

alfaloco likes this.

post #890 of 1174 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

While waiting for the Evaporust to do it's business, I started playing around with potential style on the back of the car. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

post #891 of 1174 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:24 PM

Garage
Ah yes.. I remember that door stuff! Hang in there Bob-- no bad thing lasts forever.

I've been thinking (usually a dangerous thing), and I have convinced myself and son Mike, to go in and get one of those aftermarket electric window kits that are marketed for the Spider. The ones that use a track and worm gear drive system. I am going to install it on the GTV 6, and cure the window ills once and for all. Once I do the passenger side, we'll go on and convert the driver side also. I've studied both the Spider and GTV 6 window lift systems, and they are very similar. I think the Spider kit will work in the GTV 6 door, and I intend to document the conversion and post it here this summer.

Nothing breaks at a convenient time, Bob.
horsewidower likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #892 of 1174 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I will wait, eagerly, for the write up.

"Nothing breaks at a convenient time..." Truth!

The big problem with the Dually is that I bought the truck from a racer friend of mine. Before we owned Moby, named for an obvious reason, we had Big Red (my wife called him Joe), an '88 Ford 350 diesel crew cab dually. You could have changed the cam position sensor in that truck (which didn't have one) by rolling under the truck and spending 10 minutes. Moby had his spindles dropped by said racer and I can't get my expanding girth underneath. And, I don't have a jack that can pick Moby up. So I have to disassemble my 20 ton press to use that jack to lift him in the air. So...a simple job that I could take care of easier if I just lost the 40 lbs that the doc harps about. And the wife...and the kids...I need a new dog...LOL
alfaloco likes this.

post #893 of 1174 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:52 AM

Garage
Good morning Bob,

Asking for opinions on aesthetics is opening Pandora's box. But since you've already done it...

My personal preference - never cared for the filler panel between the lights. My GVT6 came with that, and it was the first thing to go. I've always liked the rear spoiler on the deck lid, and since yours appears to be already drilled for the little aluminum brackets that lead forward from it (coolest part) I'd say go for it.

The back end of mine has been:
1) stock with the center filler panel
2) removed center panel
3) Alfetta lenses
4) Painted black w/ Alfetta lenses
5) back to white with GTV6 lenses
6) Added some "Italian" pin striping to accent the shape

So obviously, I can't make up my mind.
alfaloco and horsewidower like this.

84 Spider - Long gone, but started the addiction; 85 GTV6 - Current project, Supercharged, Mega Squirt; 88 Verde - "Milo" It has a name, must be a keeper
post #894 of 1174 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:06 AM

Garage
Well, I kinda like the spoiler, but it appears to be fairly high in relation to the designed-in lip already on the hatchback. But this is a Maratona, after all. I do like the filler piece... accentuates the 80's look, but son Mike never wanted that piece on his '86. It looks like the rear bumper shocks have been collapsed a bit, maybe, which is a good thing also.

Hey-- in spite of all the distractions from your worthy Alfa pursuits, I see progress, Bob.
horsewidower likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #895 of 1174 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:15 PM
Gold Subscriber

I like the spoiler. Very 80's. Plus they make cars go faster, right? I'm planning on adding a spoiler to mine, but will use the Callaway version.

I bought a "used, needs some repair" filler panel off ebay, but haven't decided if I'm going to use it or not. I like the car both ways, but think it should be body color.
horsewidower likes this.

-Chuck
post #896 of 1174 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:22 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

IIRC, I removed the center panel from my black 86 GTV6, and liked it better.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #897 of 1174 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
IIRC, I removed the center panel from my black 86 GTV6, and liked it better.
Perhaps it's just the human condition "If I got it I don't want it/If I don't got it I want it"

I'm not sure yet. I do think I'll paint/dip the "kamm" tail end black and see if I like it.

Bob

post #898 of 1174 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:31 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

I think I was just used to the earlier GTV6s and Alfettas.
horsewidower likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #899 of 1174 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Some more door pictures. Yeah, I know, BORING!!!

But, it helps me keep track of what I'm doing.

The brackets were left in the evaporust for quite a while, and it removed a bunch of the paint. Which is fine. I covered them with 3 coats of semi-flat enamel. They'll have about 5 days to dry before I reinstall. I'm on my way to Arizona for my Mom and Dad's birthdays. I'll install when I get back.

I've found a jute sound deadening material (?) in the area of each of the windows that roll down. All of it was detached, and could have been fouling the window mechanisms. I'm not completely certain that it was a stock installation, but if your windows are having issues going up and down, you might want to check if the material is there.

The rest of the hardware is in the rust remover. However, I might just replace the nylock nuts.

All the mechanisms, cables, channels and wheels will get a liberal dose of a graphite spray.
Attached Images

post #900 of 1174 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Fiddling with the cages. For some reason I'm pointing at the plastic cover that is only on one edge of each of the cages.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode