1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 703Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 1026 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Sitting at the kitchen table, going over wiring diagrams and making notes. I find the process of making notes aids comprehension. Especially when V = green, B = white, N = black...and on and on. LOL I think I have the parts and pieces I need, except that I forgot to purchase the black non-adhesive tape to re-wrap the wires. I'll check at the usual local spots.

Also surfing through a lot of the posts dealing with wiring issues, hints, etc.

A big thank you to all those who have plied me with hints, diagrams etc, for the rewiring of this mess. Hoping to make a dent before the weekend is out.
alfaloco and cda951 like this.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. Deposit down on another vehicle...stop the madness!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 1026 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 08:59 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
Sitting at the kitchen table, going over wiring diagrams and making notes. I find the process of making notes aids comprehension. Especially when V = green, B = white, N = black...and on and on. LOL I think I have the parts and pieces I need, except that I forgot to purchase the black non-adhesive tape to re-wrap the wires. I'll check at the usual local spots.

Also surfing through a lot of the posts dealing with wiring issues, hints, etc.

A big thank you to all those who have plied me with hints, diagrams etc, for the rewiring of this mess. Hoping to make a dent before the weekend is out.
Agreed, I have long had German color abbreviations down pat, then I had to learn the Italian versions when I bought my GTV6 last year! However, I do know a fair amount of (broken) Spanish, and the color words tend to be similarly Latin-based . . . .
horsewidower likes this.

Chris A: '81 GTV6 rescued from junkyard, "GT" car/'86 Porsche 944 Turbo track/street car/'73 BMW 2002tii fun street car/'74 Jensen Healey Lemons Rally car!
post #78 of 1026 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 09:06 PM
Gold Subscriber

Oh, and here's the friction tape that you'll need:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Temflex-17...m+temflex+1755
horsewidower likes this.

Chris A: '81 GTV6 rescued from junkyard, "GT" car/'86 Porsche 944 Turbo track/street car/'73 BMW 2002tii fun street car/'74 Jensen Healey Lemons Rally car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 1026 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Cleaning, painting, wiring...wash, rinse, repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Savali 3.1 likes this.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. Deposit down on another vehicle...stop the madness!!!
post #80 of 1026 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Starting to put things back together.

Savali 3.1 likes this.

post #81 of 1026 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Need to add the red band and letters and the Ansa will be ready to install.

Getting ready to weld on the wideband bung.

Savali 3.1 likes this.

post #82 of 1026 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 03:53 AM

Out of curiosity how did you manage to remove the gas cap intact without having the key? Was it possible to have a key cut to the lock with out having an existing key to make a copy from? I've recently purchased a pair of GTV6s with my father. One in reasonably good nick and the other which will probably be a parts car. The better of the two cars has been sitting in a garage for the last 20 odd years so i suspect i will be going through a similar process as to what you are now very shortly. Great to see what I've gotten myself into lol.

Last edited by SamGTV; 09-17-2017 at 04:07 AM.
post #83 of 1026 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Luckily, the cap was not locked.

I took it to locksmith, he couldn't rekey it. He did refer me to someone who could. You just need to check around, it helps if they have experience with old Italian cars.

post #84 of 1026 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thinking about upgrades...

alfaloco likes this.

post #85 of 1026 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Various progress pictures, in no particular order:

post #86 of 1026 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Some more wiring work. You'll note that I moved the ignition module to a cooler location, I still have mental scarring from Ford TFI issues.

Also note the location of the new relay box.

post #87 of 1026 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Stayed up wayyyy too late last night fiddling with wiring. Today I've been doing mechanical.

I added an O2 bung for a wideband; shot it with cold galvy spray to retard rusting.

Also added shots of the adapter used in the USA for the ball joint flange.

post #88 of 1026 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 05:44 PM
GT4

Garage
Love the rear spoiler!
horsewidower likes this.
post #89 of 1026 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT4 View Post
Love the rear spoiler!

It needs some remedial work, but it will definitely go back on the car.

post #90 of 1026 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Speaking of remedial work. I don't think this will fit without some "massage".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode