1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 703Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 1026 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaguy35 View Post
Are you still waiting on cam locks? I have a set you can borrow as long as they come home when you are done with them

Thank you very much for the offer. However, I've obtained a set and will be moving that project back to the front burner when the Maratona is on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. Deposit down on another vehicle...stop the madness!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 1026 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Purchased a set of the original Maratona wheels. Yes, I know they are that weird TRX sizing and the tires are stupid expensive. My plan is to just put them away until I want to return it to originality. That day will may never come, so my kids will have to deal with them. LOL

Also accumulating parts to put this back into decent shape. The seats are going to need a ton of work, the Leatherique is not really getting the job done. I'm sure it'll cost a couple of thousand $$ to get them properly back in order. Which is far more than my cost for the car.

Unfortunately my DVOM ended up in a pasture...sometimes I wish people wouldn't "help" me. Nevertheless, I pulled the Power Probe (no, no, don't go there...it really is a bit of test equipment) out of its dusty case and will start unraveling the wiring this weekend.

I'm really hyped over getting this one on the road.

Bob

Oh, received the Alfetta door and hatch locks from overseas. We'll see if they can replace the existing locks.
alfaloco and GioGTVTS like this.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. Deposit down on another vehicle...stop the madness!!!
post #48 of 1026 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

A full weekend, and why I dislike wiring

Before you can re-wire, you must un-wire...and clean and clean and clean...

Lots of PO kludges, some of them potentially dangerous. I did talk to my buddy, and he'd had some issues prior to parking it. He'd only used it for a very short time, and knowing his skills, I think that they preceded his ownership. I've shown some of the problems previously. Things only got worse.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 1026 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Lots of frayed wires and poorly maintained grounds.

The wires on the coil fell apart when examined. I'm not sure how this thing fired. The main grounding nut and bolt on the right side had broken off the fender. Someone had loosely bolt and nutted the assembly through the fender...not a good ground. And the whopper of them all was the positive cable connection at the battery.

Several of the relays went to nowhere. Wires were through the firewall and left bare on the inside. I assume they had something to do with the non-functioning HVAC. I removed them until I R&R that system. I'm still chasing the non-working relay that only has yellow wire on it in the pictures. I've got to drop down the fuse box and find out where they go. There are also three wires, with single wire connectors, that come out right at the left rear corner of the engine compartment. I need to figure out whether they have a necessary purpose, or are just hanging around.

I ordered some additional wiring supplies from the internet. A little more cleaning and we'll get to putting it back together. And, I need to get another DVOM, I feel like I'm missing a hand.
Attached Images

Savali 3.1 likes this.

post #50 of 1026 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:28 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Jeez Louise. Bad, bad, bad, but really glad you are persisting on this.
horsewidower likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #51 of 1026 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:17 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
the engine bay cleaned up rather nicely! what kind of foam did you use? and was there much scrubbing going on?
Nice job, I'm glad you are continuing with this!

"No chance, no destiny, no fate can circumvent, change or control the firm resolve of a determined soul"

73 Spider
80 BMW e21(Sold, gone to Houston)
79 Spider (sold)
78 Spider (sold, gone to U K)
Greg
post #52 of 1026 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I use the cheapest can of engine degreaser from Walmart, rinse it off, then using the HF version of Mr. Clean eraser with a rinseless wash. You have to be careful with the eraser because it's a fine abrasive.

Alfaboutvegas and CathalICCI like this.

post #53 of 1026 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 08:56 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Thanks for the info

It's not that I need it (I'm detailing engine bay w/eng. out) but it's good to know on the next one!

Yeah I know, "the next one" admits my addiction.

"No chance, no destiny, no fate can circumvent, change or control the firm resolve of a determined soul"

73 Spider
79 Spider (sold)
Greg
post #54 of 1026 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaboutvegas View Post
It's not that I need it (I'm detailing engine bay w/eng. out) but it's good to know on the next one!

Yeah I know, "the next one" admits my addiction.

Ohhhh how I know! I'm still jonesing for a Guilia Super and a 2600 Sprint and a Guilietta Sprint and a.....

post #55 of 1026 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:32 AM

Garage
I see you still have the 7.5 and 15 amp fuses there on the fender, but there's another industrial type fuse holder for who knows what. The light gauge yellow wires are probably for the underhood lamp.

Sometimes, I don't think we give our old Alfas enough credit for kinda running and starting under these kind of conditions!
horsewidower likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #56 of 1026 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 10:36 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Talking The Addiction

I almost had my wife talked into an 8C until she saw the auction prices, those darn little details.

73 Spider
79 Spider (sold)
Greg
post #57 of 1026 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:12 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

I keep thinking that I would like to buy a cherry restored very simple 67 Giulia Super, and forget completely about the new complicated hi-tech Giulia.

Of course, my wife keeps saying, so which car are you going to sell? I answer that I don't understand the question.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #58 of 1026 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Of course, my wife keeps saying, so which car are you going to sell? I answer that I don't understand the question.
When I bought my GTV6, my wife asked the same question. And I gave the same answer.
post #59 of 1026 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I guess I'm lucky, the Lovely Donna asked if I needed to purchase a parts car...well of course!

But, she has seven horses...

Have you heard the one "What's the quickest way to turn cash into poo..."

post #60 of 1026 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 06:32 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Oh, just buy a boat or airplane.
horsewidower likes this.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode