1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 34 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 760Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #496 of 1099 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Enjoyed the picture. Where was it taken?

The seals look just like the small sea lions (way smaller than our West Coast sea lions, maybe 1/4 the weight) we walked around on the beaches in the Galapagos Islands when we were there. You could walk right up to them, and they just sort of stared at you for a couple of seconds, and then went back to sleep. Clearly they are not afraid of the great predator, lol.
Ha! Sorry, just pulled from the internet. Harbor seals are around LI Sound, but I never saw anything like that locally.

Always impressed with the knowledge of part numbers around here. Or the ability to pull them from references.

John
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L, 1993 Ford 5.0L Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #497 of 1099 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 08:31 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Well! At least you could use some of your own magnificent pictures from your travels, lol. Hit the road, you guys, while you can. Know too many who waited, and then couldn't, alas.

My nephew married to the Sicilian gal is visiting her folks in Sicily with their two young twins. Seem to do it well, with not making THAT much money. Just got a post card from Ragusa and Ibla (where some of the Montalbano series is filmed), where we've stayed when we were there for their wedding.

I'll load a couple of pictures.

First, a crummy picture of us in front of Panama city, Panama. We liked the city, finding a great Italian restaurant there.

Second, the aft end of our fav little expeditionary cruise ship (~240 passengers max, 450 foot long, 15 foot draft, ice rated, a bunch of zodiacs, a few kayaks, wildlife experts on board). Not Las Vegas style, think luxo Ikea, gourmet french food, and all the liquor/wine you could drink. Very nice rooms with king beds, full bathrooms, etc. It is now just getting set to transit the Northwest Passage, thanks to global climate change, where we will pick it up after it arrives in Nome, Alaska for a two week wildlife cruise through the Pribilof and Aleutian Islands, eventually ending up in SE Alaska and Vancouver. Will be our third trip on this particular ship. Super friendly and personal.

We rode this ship from Colon through the canal and down the coast to Guayaquil, where we got off and eventually flew out to the Galapagos Islands.

The little cruise boat we picked up in the islands for a week, 15 passengers, with gourmet food and all the liquor you could drink. Very nice rooms with king beds, private bathrooms w/showers. floor to ceiling windows, two zodiacs, several kayaks, and snorkel gear for all.

Galapagos sea lions, very small compared to our ~2000 lb Stellar sea lions. As I mentioned, they look at you, maybe sigh, and then go back to sleep. Nice not to be regarded as the predator. Even the birds ignored us.

Speaking of birds, here is the famous blue footed booby. We also saw the less famous red footed variety.

This trip was for our 40th anniversary. Alas, we saw NO Alfas on the trip.

Yes, we older retired types seem to have a lot of time letting our fingers do the walking, looking for stuff such as part numbers. It can be very interesting.
Attached Images

horsewidower and Spitfire like this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 08-10-2018 at 11:18 PM.
post #498 of 1099 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

While I wait for a 2:00 delivery of yet another attempt at finding the proper seals, I decided to clean the grill. Tried a cleaner from back in my black car paint days, but the result was uninspiring. Had me thinking about painting the grill, again.

Then I tried "Back to Black". Initially I used it sparingly, even though the direction's said to use liberally. Again, meh.

So, with nothing to lose, applied liberally it was.

NICE!!!

Just reminds me that reading and following directions is a wise course of action.

Before:

During:

After:

Now, off to the McParts store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alfaloco likes this.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #499 of 1099 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 03:32 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Just wondering. Can you not take the old seal and/or measurements to some engineering supplier store and locate one that matches? We can do things like this in little New Zealand and usually with success.

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #500 of 1099 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 03:43 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

You can get away with picking up seals and taking them somewhere? The ones around here would put up a real fuss, to be sure. Might get your hand bitten off, lol.
horsewidower likes this.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #501 of 1099 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 03:49 PM
PSk

Quote:
You can get away with picking up seals and taking them somewhere? The ones around here would put up a real fuss, to be sure. Might get your hand bitten off, lol.

Reminds me a joke involving a penguin returning to his car at a repair shop after just finishing an ice cream, and being told it looks like he has blown a seal ...
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #502 of 1099 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I have achieved success.

Pictures soon.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

post #503 of 1099 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
I'd end up needing a rabies shot and probably throw my back out. No good.

alfaloco likes this.

post #504 of 1099 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Set an appointment with CA DMV for September 11. For final licensing of the car.

Now, need the smog cert and the brake and light inspection. (Or course the car doesn't run at the moment and there are no front headlight or indicator lights) Already insured.

Bob

post #505 of 1099 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I'm trying to search and find any threads on GTV6 anti-dive for the front suspension. Anyone know of any?

Bob

post #506 of 1099 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

If anyone is in the market, Tire Rack has a closeout on some 16" 5x98 wheels that are supposed to fit the GTV6.

Bob
alfaloco likes this.

post #507 of 1099 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 03:36 PM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
I'm trying to search and find any threads on GTV6 anti-dive for the front suspension. Anyone know of any?

Bob
This is designed in to the front suspension. Usually by angling the inner wishbone suspension pick up points so that when you brake you are (not?) compressing the front spring. This reference might help: http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/blog...dive-geometry/

Pete
horsewidower likes this.

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 08-16-2018 at 03:39 PM.
post #508 of 1099 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
This is designed in to the front suspension. Usually by angling the inner wishbone suspension pick up points so that when you brake you are (not?) compressing the front spring.

Pete
I understand how it works, I've actually designed road race front suspension. I'm really just being lazy, here. I don't want to go through the hassle of doing all the measuring work to come up with my own solution if one has already been scienced out by someone else. I see a lot of information about dropped spindles, some discussion of fiddling with the standoffs on the LCAs for fiddling with camber, but haven't seen much on changing attachment points on the upper control arm.

Just wondering...my friends tell me I spend too much time thinking and not enough time doing.

post #509 of 1099 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 08:28 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

I thought the stock suspension was good enough for pretty sporty driving. One can spend time and money screwing around with something some may think is better, but in reality, stock is pretty good. Lol, you don't want to be the next dreaded PO. Just a thought. You are doing a great job on that restoration. Be proud.
horsewidower likes this.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

Last edited by Del; 08-16-2018 at 09:28 PM.
post #510 of 1099 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Your point is well taken.

Sometimes I wander a bit.

alfaloco likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode