1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 32 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 813Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #466 of 1174 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Needed a smoke wrench to remove the rotor screws.

I had planned to change all the bearings, but found out that I had the wrong seals. Bummer! I ordered some, and will pick them up tomorrow.

Both sides of the front suspension, including the torsion bars have been removed so I can install this:

It should make it easy to level the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alfaloco likes this.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #467 of 1174 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Mocked up:

I think I'll shorten the adjustment bolt a bit less than an inch. And cleanup the bearing surface. Right now it bears on a thin circle on the end of the bolt.

alfaloco likes this.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

post #468 of 1174 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 10:35 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

We used to call that, actually a welding torch, a flame wrench. Useful now and then for stubborn parts such as removing frozen on wheel bearing races, etc. It's how I met one of my best buddies decades ago, when he had a wheel bearing race from his 64 Giulia Spider on his work desk. I asked, saying that looks like an overheated wheel bearing race, said it was from his DD Alfa, and we have been friends ever since, since I was driving my DD Giulia Sprint GT at the time.

Isn't it fun installing nice new clean parts?
horsewidower likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 07-27-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #469 of 1174 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Well, bummer. The ordered seals came in the wrong size.

It's a bit odd. Both suppliers had seals that were seriously too large. This time I went to an old school auto parts store. And, I took the front hubs/rotors. They pulled out their calipers and books and found something that should fit. The book lists the seals as GTV6 rear seals!?

Unfortunately, I have to wait until Monday to collect them.

post #470 of 1174 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..."

Fiddling with torsion bars:

Last edited by horsewidower; 07-28-2018 at 08:48 PM.
post #471 of 1174 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I have to confess, even though I'm mildly ashamed to do so...Given that I want an Alfa, this year, that actually legally drives on the street, I stuck some parts and replacement parts in a bag and took them to a local shop to have them refurbished. Using an alias on the quote.

I know, I know, I can do it myself and save the $$, but time is a wasting.

Still, I feel a bit dirty
alfaloco and bulletpruf like this.

post #472 of 1174 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 12:46 PM

Garage
You mind me asking where you came up with that adjuster for the torsion bars? I've seen a couple of them for sale, but it's a rare bird.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #473 of 1174 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaloco View Post
You mind me asking where you came up with that adjuster for the torsion bars? I've seen a couple of them for sale, but it's a rare bird.

Yes they are, came from the U.K. Having a brain fart at the moment, I'll get you the info. Came from a Facebook group.

alfaloco likes this.

post #474 of 1174 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:13 PM

Garage
That's ok.. just curious. I think that '84 was the last year for that detachable torsion bar carrier anyway. It's welded into the unit body on Mike's '86. I don't want to distract you from that rebuild, man!
horsewidower likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #475 of 1174 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Missed the outside dimension of the front wheel bearing seal "by that much." Attempt number four coming up...

post #476 of 1174 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Ahhhh, nope.

Time to stop relying on auto parts professionals, pull out the calipers and start looking through the Motion Industries catalog.

post #477 of 1174 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 06:46 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
Ahhhh, nope.

Time to stop relying on auto parts professionals, pull out the calipers and start looking through the Motion Industries catalog.
Read through this thread:

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alf...heel-seal.html

I went through the same thing (but I only got the wrong seals once), but I cannot find the invoice with the correct part # (check the above thread, seems to have some correct part #s to cross-reference).

The front inner and outer wheel bearings themselves are the exact same part used on an early Porsche 911 or BMW 2002, so I had those on the shelf at my shop!
horsewidower likes this.

Chris A: '81 GTV6 rescued from junkyard, "GT" car/'86 Porsche 944 Turbo track/street car/'73 BMW 2002tii fun street car/'74 Jensen Healey Lemons Rally car!

Last edited by cda951; 08-03-2018 at 06:50 PM.
post #478 of 1174 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Man, how did I miss that thread!!!

Thanks a bunch.

Bob

post #479 of 1174 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..."

Just for future reference: (and I'm sure some of these will disappear over time)

(Edit: WARNING don't even think about ordering anything based on this post...keep reading...nothing to see here)

494117: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...CABEgJah_D_BwE

SKF 15850:

https://www.amazon.com/SKF-15850-Met...ype=automotive

and

Product Datasheet for 15850

No sense looking for the Akron PN, when you go to their site, they give you the SKF information:

SKF | Online Catalog | Handbook of Seals (457010) | Parts Lookup

Now to buy some and see what actually fits.

Last edited by horsewidower; 08-25-2018 at 09:13 PM.
post #480 of 1174 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I ordered the last two SKF's that the seller had. They are said to be "out of production".

I also ordered a couple of the 494117, they were out of stock but said to be shipped directly by the supplier. So we'll see what happens here.

Motion Industries catalog, no joy. Nothing quite makes it, and anything close is no longer in production.

I would suggest that if you plan to do this, you treat your old seals as if you have to reuse them. I did purchase a set of the "rear seals" for the GTV6 (apparently no such thing) when we measured things up at the NAPA store. They are just a scosh too small at the outside diameter, I considered sticking them in with some Locktite sleeve product.

Always an interesting journey.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode