1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 31 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 823Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #451 of 1187 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Your GTV will burst a paint rust bubble if you buy it

Pete

LOL. I think you are correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1187 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:27 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
There is a 2L Berlina for sale right up the street in Fair Oaks...MUST RESIST...
Go for it. You need a 105 series to round out the fleet.
alfaloco and horsewidower like this.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #453 of 1187 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Back to our regularly scheduled program. Spent the weekend finishing FrankenDeere and threw in the towel on the Pearl after 8 hours of effort today. I banished both projects from the workshop resulting in this:

I do have a bit of suspension work left, LOL

alfaloco likes this.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 1187 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I do prefer this:

To this:

I'll still need to measure the points in the diagram posted earlier in the thread to make sure I have it set up correctly.

alfaloco likes this.

post #455 of 1187 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 06:02 AM
Gold Subscriber

Like the wheels.
horsewidower likes this.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #456 of 1187 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 07:07 AM
Platinum Subscriber

That is a big change. Is the lower A arm horizontal under normal load?

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #457 of 1187 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
That is a big change. Is the lower A arm horizontal under normal load?

Haven't checked it yet. We threw it together to move it. I still need to do an accurate setup.

post #458 of 1187 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Tomorrow, I'll stop by AAA to get a couple of new travel permits. If I can get the brakes r&r'd and settle the suspension so it doesn't look like it has a hitch in its giddy-up, I hope to try to get to smog this weekend. One issue is that, for some reason, it's forgotten how to start in the last 45-60 days while it was sitting outside.

If it's not one thing, it's the same thing over and over.

post #459 of 1187 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

The plan:

The good, the bad and the ugly:

post #460 of 1187 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

If anyone has one of these bumper bolts that they could part with, please PM your terms.

Thanks

post #461 of 1187 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I got home from work, last night, and it was over 100* in the workshop...still 96* at 8:30pm. So, I wimped out and went back in the air conditioned house. I did get three travel permits at AAA, although they told me that they couldn't issue me new plates and a sticker because the car is not in the DMV's computer. Bummer!!!

So, I'm going to have to venture into that hell known as the CA DMV. I checked on an appointment, but the earliest available in our area is August 18th. And, when I called to get clarification on whether or not I needed a light and indicator inspection, the wait time for a real person was 45 minutes (and I really had no confidence in the answer I would receive). Looks like I'm going to have to burn a Friday morning to get answers.

I did spray some penetrating oil on the rotor to hub screws for the front brakes. They are truly frozen in place, and I was starting to round the slot with an impact screwdriver. Looks like a bit of heat, a bit of tappy tap tap, and some more penetrating oil is in order.

post #462 of 1187 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
I got home from work, last night, and it was over 100* in the workshop...still 96* at 8:30pm. So, I wimped out and went back in the air conditioned house. I did get three travel permits at AAA, although they told me that they couldn't issue me new plates and a sticker because the car is not in the DMV's computer. Bummer!!!

So, I'm going to have to venture into that hell known as the CA DMV. I checked on an appointment, but the earliest available in our area is August 18th. And, when I called to get clarification on whether or not I needed a light and indicator inspection, the wait time for a real person was 45 minutes (and I really had no confidence in the answer I would receive). Looks like I'm going to have to burn a Friday morning to get answers.

I did spray some penetrating oil on the rotor to hub screws for the front brakes. They are truly frozen in place, and I was starting to round the slot with an impact screwdriver. Looks like a bit of heat, a bit of tappy tap tap, and some more penetrating oil is in order.
So one begins to understand why so many people out there want to split up the state, right? Good grief... that's a ton of bureaucratic crap for a 1980s automobile. I formally invite you, horsewidower, to Kentucky, the Bluegrass state, where you can have all the horses you wish (even in suburban areas, with sufficient graze), and state government will not persecute you like that.

Alfa content: I have a hand impact driver, 3/8" square drive, that I use with a hammer for that kind of frozen screws. Slot head or Phillips.
horsewidower likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #463 of 1187 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:11 PM
Gold Subscriber

Hot!
100*
I looked up Wilton, CA on the map--Yup.
Just think how hot you would be if you weren't sending some heat North.
Like to Vancouver, where I live is close to the ocean.
It's 80* now and the typical high is 72 and the low 57.
Sigh, but let's think some cool thoughts.
In 1965, the company I was with transferred me to Winnipeg, Manitoba.
That was in September and then it got cold and my DD was a 101 Spider.
At the apartment, it was outdoor parking and each site had a plug-in for a lower-rad heater and battery warmer.
It was a brief walk to work, but when the weather report said "49 below" I did start the car.
In an attempt for the world's record at starting an Alfa at the coldest temperature.
Later, I checked the archive and it was -49* with no wind chill BS.
Do I feel any cooler--No!
alfaloco and horsewidower like this.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.

Last edited by Subtle; 07-26-2018 at 12:13 PM.
post #464 of 1187 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Today's oven:

I think I'll target early tomorrow morning.

post #465 of 1187 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Not as hot today. With the hillbilly AC I kept the shop no hotter than 95*

It was pleasant in the morning

I tried to control my grime and gunk OCD, but succumbed. See the magical cleaning solution of the day, below. Recommended by a buddy that uses it to clean his hot tank. Quite effective full strength, but be careful. I did scrub some paint off with a microfiber towel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode