1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 28 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 813Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #406 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 12:05 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"blast or two of chlorinated brake cleaner"

Be very careful using that stuff, as it can be very dangerous, esp when heated. Vapors may decompose to harmful or fatal corrosive gases such as hydrogen chloride and possible phosgene. One should use only the nonchlorinated versions.
bulletpruf likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #407 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 02:24 PM

Garage
Yep... Super Clean does work well. I keep some around the garage.

So you got waylaid with mowers too? I had to put a traction drive belt on my walk behind 1995 model Lawn Boy, and the actuator cable. Darn original belt lasted 22 years. That Lawn Boy still runs fine, and it's a year older than son Mike! Got a bit of rust showing up on the deck, though.

I agree let's get back onto our Alfas!
horsewidower likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #408 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Speaking of rust on a deck:

The rust converter is doing its magic. While that's happening my son helped me press the bushings in and out. When the paint drys I'll reinstall the passenger side suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alfaloco likes this.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #409 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Workshop was needed for other purposes. So we threw everything on and pushed it out.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

post #410 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 05:02 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Love the work you are doing on the car to restore it, but, lol, having trouble getting past that front end. However, not your problem. I'm sure it will be a fine running Alfa.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #411 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Love the work you are doing on the car to restore it, but, lol, having trouble getting past that front end. However, not your problem. I'm sure it will be a fine running Alfa.

We are a long way from dealing with the final aesthetic. The front is missing the grille headlights, air dam and bumper. Give it some time. We're still at the envision stage, execution...well we'll see.

post #412 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

But...I'm not a huge fan of the tug boat spec bumper.

post #413 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 07:41 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

The thing which comes to mind (remembering a little of my aero classes) is that you want to reduce the front air access to the engine bay to the minimum required for cooling. The air going into the bay ends up under the car body, and if there is too much, it piles up in the bay and under the car, and creates drag, a lot of drag. I see some big holes there.

That's why race cars, and regular cars as well to a minor extent, have minimum holes in the front, and air dams under the chin of the front. Race cars also have real side skirts and bottom closure panels (and a few top end exotics as well) to be even more efficient at this. These designs are to reduce the total vehicle drag.

Nascar cars have air dams and skirts clear down to the pavement for maximum effect at the 200 mph speeds they can run at.

Basically, I'm saying that if you don't need the large open areas for cooling requirements, get rid of the excess. My impression, having owned 2 GTV6s, is that the original design was adequate.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

Last edited by Del; 06-10-2018 at 07:56 PM.
post #414 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Del, this is an unaltered stock front end, just stripped down to its base sheet metal. I've made no alterations. Usually it's covered by the stock air dam and bumper.

When I built my racecar I followed the NACA specs for ducting air to the inter cooler and radiator. It was astonishing how small an opening could be used to cool the car. I couldn't agree with you more.

post #415 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 05:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
Workshop was needed for other purposes. So we threw everything on and pushed it out.
Well Bob, I suppose the Ponderosa has needs, too. How much acreage you have there?

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #416 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:55 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

I sure don't remember seeing such big holes in my GTV6s, but then again I never took the front bumper off. All right, never mind what I said if Alfa decided that's what they needed for that car, evidently for stop and go or low speed airflow cooling. I just wonder if they guessed at what they thought they needed.

Normal highway speed driving usually doesn't need that much air flow for cooling, the engine running only at partial throttle and getting sufficient ram airflow.

Ford once had a car where the grill slats were designed just so, so that at low speed they let enough air in for cooling flow through the radiator, but at higher speeds, the unmoving slat design caused the airflow to bunch up between the slats and blocked some of the air coming through to reduce the engine bay and underneath drag while providing just enough air for needed "at speed" cooling, which is less than slow stop and go driving. I thought it was very ingenious.

Del

Seattle

1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

Last edited by Del; 06-11-2018 at 10:50 AM.
post #417 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
I sure don't remember seeing such big holes in my GTV6s, but then again I never took the front bumper off. All right, never mind what I said if Alfa decided that's what they needed for that car.
That's definitely what they look like with the bumper (and possibly front air dam?) removed...

Graham
88 Milano Verde, 13 500 Abarth, 04 Used Maserati Coupe GT
post #418 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:17 AM

Garage
As son Mike is showing you here, that's the only way to get that larger radiator to fit, along with an A/C condensor!
Attached Images

horsewidower likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #419 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Son is home from Texas, so the workshop was cleared for a meeting with his friends:

The property is small but intensively horse farmed. 7-12 horses, some owned, some boarded (the Lovely Donna and I have an agreement, I don't question her horse activities, she doesn't question my car activities) a goat, 3 cats, down to 2 dogs (had 5, 3 hit their expiration this year ☹️) 19 chickens, and who knows what else is hanging.

The Lovely Donna can break an anvil with a feather pillow, so I'm kept busy.

alfaloco and bulletpruf like this.

post #420 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:46 AM

Garage
Bob!!! Out there past your tractor, in the tree line!! I swear I see a JACKALOPE! You reckon they're native species?
horsewidower likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode