1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 27 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 813Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #391 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Graham, looking at the motion of a ball joint, and the potential for fretting caused by a fully threaded bolt, I chose to keep a shoulder to the bolt. I would suggest that there is a potential for shear. Given the looseness of the fit, I'm not happy about slop in the hardware. To do this completely correctly, I should have gone up a size in bolt, reamed the hole to just about a press fit. I hope to cure any of the potential movement due to the loose fit with the tack welds. My current thought is to both bolt the BJ flange with the hardware, and then do a small plug weld through the flange to the arm itself. Hopefully that will keep everything from sliding around. There is tremendous force here, and I don't want things moving around.

Belt and suspenders, belt and suspenders.
alfaloco likes this.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 10:18 AM

If you see shear at the bolt, you have bigger problems. In that type of bolted joint the bolt should strictly see tension, like all bolted joints of that design. The shoulder style bolt adds a stress concentration at the shoulder to thread transition as well.

And as far as doing it correctly goes, I disagree based on experience with bolted joints. The goal is to achieve proper friction to conteract the shear through friction alone; clamping force and surface finish lend to this. The bolt will not move radially if installed to correct preload (most easily and practically through torque, more accurately through strain or elongation but obviously not in a garage).

Where you are very much achieving your goal is the redundant use of prevailing torque fastener and red loctite and the tack welds (or safety wire if you had gone that route). Were the bolt to attempt to loosen for some reason (unlikely with a 10.9 torque spec on a zinc fastener), the prevailing torque nut and red loctite would keep the nut from rotating and maintain proper clamping load. That's prudent and logical.

All of that said...if you are concerned with alignment of the bolt in the UCA / ball joint, the shoulder bolt and tight clearance make a lot of sense. But as far as shear goes, it's not really a belt and suspenders fix since the pants it's attempting to hold up would be shear force, and that bolt doesn't see any - the joint does. So, the shoulder bolt is valid, but it's not really necessary or even a belt and suspenders style move.

I should add that I rather enjoy details like this, and hope you understand that I am just attempting to shed light on a technical topic. This is one of my favorite AlfaBB threads and I'm more than impressed with the work and decisions made on the car. These small details are fun to discuss for certain types such as myself
horsewidower and bulletpruf like this.

Graham
88 Milano Verde, 13 500 Abarth, 04 Used Maserati Coupe GT

Last edited by fourmotioneer; 05-22-2018 at 10:22 AM. Reason: last paragraph
post #393 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 10:21 AM

Garage
I have always used bolts here, but have had them come loose on me once. Sounded and felt like a bad wheel bearing. Burned two of those up before I discovered the ultimate issue.

Lock nuts are important here. Although it can't fall TOTALLY apart, loosing the bolts would sure mess up your day.

84 Spider - Long gone, but started the addiction; 85 GTV6 - Current project, Supercharged, Mega Squirt; 88 Verde - "Milo" It has a name, must be a keeper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks, gentlemen, for the insight. I always appreciate advice and participation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

post #395 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Whomever came up with the method of heating the bushing sleeve until the plastic melts in order to remove it, brilliant!!! Man that was easy. What was left in the sleeve either peeled right off or succumbed to a wire brush on a dremel.

I made up a couple of washers to help with getting the new one on.

post #396 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 03:10 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Liquid N2 or dry-ice can be helpful, too.
horsewidower likes this.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #397 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 06:33 AM

it has been my experience that all those plastic shelled bushings press out easy peasy.
horsewidower likes this.
post #398 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Well, the four-day weekend degenerated into "honey-do", horse trailer rehabilitation (tires, wheels and electrical...man my mediocre electrical skills are getting a work out), porch/patio building and way too much property maintenance. Other than the bushing above, and some painting...not much was done to the car.

I did have to purchase a $86 set of valve cover gaskets for the van, last time I tried to sell it to the pic n pull they wanted to pay me $136 to take it away. **** near doubled its value with that part purchase. LOL

post #399 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Let's see how far I get in June. I set myself a challenge of working an average of an hour a day for the month. So a minimum of 30 hours this month. That should get some progress on the project.

Bob
alfaloco likes this.

post #400 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
Parts ordered, time to tear out the front suspension. I'll pull everything apart, de-rust and paint. I hope everything turns up by Thursday or Friday.
The "might as well's" kill you too, I see.

Several years ago, I pulled the my 70 Ram Air IV GTO into the shop for a brake job and tuneup. Next thing you know, it was off the frame...

Final result...

horsewidower likes this.

72 GTV; 66 Fairlane GT convt, 428, 4 sp; 68 GTO Convt, owner built 455 and TH400; 71 Javelin road race project, owner built 401, T10
post #401 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakay View Post
Have enjoyed reading this saga horsewidower and pulling for you to get this fine machine performing like it should soon. Thanks for posting all the updates and photos.
My sentiments as well. Took me a few days of reading a bit here and there, but I just finished all 27 pages. I don't have a GTV6 but it's still a good read.

72 GTV; 66 Fairlane GT convt, 428, 4 sp; 68 GTO Convt, owner built 455 and TH400; 71 Javelin road race project, owner built 401, T10
post #402 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
I ended up with VHT chassis and roll bar paint. I wanted satin, but the McParts store only had gloss. Not my first choice, but availability was a first concern.

Mission essential supplies for me - always have to have some satin black on hand, along with flat/satin clear.
Capp likes this.

post #403 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
My anti-grime, anti-rust OCD is killing my schedule.

Several parts sat overnight in a large basin of Supreme Clean. I rinsed them off and they are now sitting in Evaporust.
Man, I hear what you're saying on the rust and grime OCD! Cleaning and de-rusting is therapeutic, isn't it?

And what is this Supreme Clean that you speak of? My regimen is usually Simple Green followed by a blast or two of chlorinated brake cleaner, but always on the lookout for something new/exciting/different.

post #404 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks for all the attention. I'll take a picture of the Supreme Clean bottle and post it.

We hit our first high 90*-low 100* this weekend. I attached the hose to my hillybilly AC system at the workshop...landscaping misters over the doorway. LOL

I spent hours and hours on equipment repair, but unfortunately nothing from the Alfa brand. So, starting the month with a 3 hour deficit of effort.
bulletpruf likes this.

Last edited by horsewidower; 06-13-2018 at 11:25 AM.
post #405 of 1174 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

"Best laid plans of mice and men..."

What I planned to be working on this weekend:

What I'm working on this weekend:

I could put the flail mower on the big tractor, but then I'd be replacing fence lines and gates. It's great that the Lovely Donna let's her young clients do farm work, but there is a cost...

I hope to swing a few wrenches on the GTV6 as I wait for a few things to dry on the lawn tractors.

Oh, and Super Clean:

alfaloco and bulletpruf like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode