1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 20 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 760Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #286 of 1099 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alfaloco likes this.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #287 of 1099 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Installing all the fuel tank vapor lines.

Unfortunately, the air valve isn't working, and I need a 9/16 fuel line for the filler line.

alfaloco likes this.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

post #288 of 1099 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

The grease is necessary. Some of these were a bit of a struggle.

I also just re-riveted the vapor separator down instead of using the supplied hardware.

alfaloco likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #289 of 1099 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Bled the clutch, worked well when I finally turned the speedbleeder far enough. LOL

alfaloco and Savali 3.1 like this.

post #290 of 1099 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Spraying a wet coat with a can is tough, even when you heat the can.

We'll see what it looks like in the morning.

alfaloco likes this.

post #291 of 1099 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..."

Hey, a question for you guys, concerning shocks.

The car has Koni reds. Knowing the propensity of the immediate PO, I bet they are set full stiff, LOL.

I'm over my "boy racer" phase and am looking for a compliant but competent ride. Where would you suggest I set the shocks?

Last edited by horsewidower; 04-21-2018 at 10:23 PM.
post #292 of 1099 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 10:01 PM

Garage
I feel that any good KONI shock (red or yellow) set on full soft still beats the heck out of most others, unless you're into all out track events. Mike has KONI yellows on his '86, set soft or pretty close to soft, and the car is very comfortable and controllable at speed.
horsewidower likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #293 of 1099 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 11:17 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

When I installed adjustable Konis on my LS (with S springs), I fiddled with the adjustment to see if I could more or less duplicate the feel of the 91S on "sport". After much driving on the same road in both cars, I finally set the Konis at about 2/3+ stiff (that's about 12-14 knob flats on the adjusting knob out of ~18 IIRC. We ended up very pleased with the outcome.
horsewidower likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #294 of 1099 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
Hey, a question for you guys, concerning shocks.

The car has Koni reds. Knowing the propensity of the immediate PO, I bet they are set full stiff, LOL.

I'm over my "boy racer" phase and am looking for a compliant but competent ride. Where would you suggest I set the shocks?

Bob
Ideally, i would have the shocks tested. Reds are old, not available for many years, most are no longer in spec is my bet. Find a shock dyno and see what it tells you. The difference between a set of proper shocks and worn out ones on a chassis is massive.
Otherwise...set them all to full soft and do the bounce test! Bounce each corner of the car and see how it feels. Koni are only reboud adjustable so keep that in mind.
I might have a full set of NOS GTV6 shocks around...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
horsewidower likes this.

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
post #295 of 1099 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..."

Off to the workshop!

Goal is to finish the fuel system so that I can start the engine. I need to run through Greg's L-jet tune up.

I'm not optimistic about finding the 9/16-14mm hose at a McParts store, so I won't be able to reinstall the filler tube. No driving until that's done.

I've got 4 coats of dip on the hood. A bit of tiger stripe. It's hard to get a decent job with paint bombs. I think I'll buy enough for two more coats and alter my method.

Last edited by horsewidower; 04-22-2018 at 09:06 AM.
post #296 of 1099 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 03:23 PM
Gold Subscriber

Still have some Bilstein shocks here if you need. I'll send pics if you like. They would be a gift to you if you need. Good luck with the tune up.
horsewidower likes this.
post #297 of 1099 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayalfagtv6 View Post
Still have some Bilstein shocks here if you need. I'll send pics if you like. They would be a gift to you if you need. Good luck with the tune up.

Thanks a bunch!!! Let me pull the Koni off and check them.

post #298 of 1099 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Well it was a two steps forward, one step back kind of day. Lather, rinse, repeat.

When pulling out the old fuel lines, I noticed that the lines were badly chaffed and pinched were they went through the "frame rail." So I decided to run a couple of hard lines through the opening. I'd like to say I got them right the first time, but no. I tried to do something complicated, but in the end, simple was better.

Everything is in place. Just ran out of proper hose clamps. I'll go by the store tomorrow.

post #299 of 1099 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 10:08 PM

Nice fuel lines!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
post #300 of 1099 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 10:30 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Was that hose blue on the inside?

If so its for brake fluid.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode