1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 19 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 817Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #271 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 06:30 PM

Garage
Just a suggestion... get one of the TFE stainless steel braided clutch hoses on there-- it's the last one you'll install, and it won't delaminate on the ID and clog the flow of fluid (which overstresses your clutch pedal pivot arm).
Del, horsewidower and Savali 3.1 like this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Steel braided clutch hose ordered, along with a speedbleeder and some new rubber mounts for the fuel pump.

Ever onward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alfaloco and Savali 3.1 like this.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #273 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

A week later...

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 01:11 PM

Garage
Great photo! An added benefit of the extruded TFE hose is there's essentially NO expansion under pressure (unlike a reinforced rubber hose), so the second you hit the pedal the pivot arm moves, giving you better clutch response. We noticed that with Mike's car, resulted in almost zero crunch into second gear.

Now... I also suggest (I'm full of them...) you add a dab of grease onto that rounded end of the slave cylinder pushrod. Also, get a big screwdriver into that hole in the clutch housing, raise the pivot arm just a bit off that ball stud pivot, and grease that ball. Your clutch will work even smoother!

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #275 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Excellent suggestions.

alfaloco likes this.

post #276 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Fiddling some more today. Cleaned and painted the brackets, cleaned up the pump. Replaced the incorrect wiring terminals at the fuel pump with the proper "flag" terminals so that the rubber boots will fit.

alfaloco likes this.

post #277 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 06:41 PM

Garage
Success is in the details...

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #278 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 09:13 PM

Every pump I've seen in an Alfa has had screw post connections with eyelets on the harness which is a more secure attachment. are those spade connectors on the pump removable? Not a big deal really but wanted to mention it.
Looks good regardless, suggest packing the boots and connectors full of silicone grease.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
post #279 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

The spade connectors are not removable.

Roger that on the grease. Part of the game plan.

post #280 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I'm probably overdoing much of this, but I'm planning on taking the car on a very long (6,000+miles) road trip in 2020. Sooooo...overdoing is probably warranted.

post #281 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Out to the workshop!

I need to get it ready for smog before the temporary permits expire.

Let's hope there are no more PO caused side trips.

post #282 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 10:49 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

How many years back before the car doesn't have to be checked in Cal, or is there no cutoff, the car being required to be checked forever? In Washington, it is 25 years, although we have had no problems with passing the tests here (yeah, I know they are not the same as those in Cal). I think (guess, actually) the State feeling is that there are so few cars of that age and older, that they don't make any meaningful difference, esp if they don't get driven much nowadays.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #283 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
How many years back before the car doesn't have to be checked in Cal, or is there no cutoff, the car being required to be checked forever?.

Anything after '75 requires a smog check. They killed the 25 rolling exemption years ago.

To get my '74 GTV title I had to have the smog decal for that year. It's a pain in these older cars.

post #284 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Getting all the painting and pre-paint prep done first, to get everything that needs drying done.

The paint on the hood is a pimply mess. I also treated for rust.

alfaloco likes this.

post #285 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

If it's set up for 8 nuts, two should do, right? I'm no longer surprised.

Even though I'm going to use plasti-dip, I spent time trying to level the pimples a bit

And then back to mechanical work.

alfaloco likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode