1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 18 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 817Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #256 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

And the plan is to work on the car Thursday and Friday while the forecasted 2" of rain falls. I received everything I need to complete the headlight upgrade, I'll finish the fuel and vapor plumbing on the gas tank and hopefully be ready to go to the smog station Monday.

I need to clean and potentially repaint the grille. I assume that a matte black is appropriate. Anyone have any different thoughts?

Bob

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 02:24 PM
Gold Subscriber

In Vancouver, locals have a way of judging the weather.
If you can see the mountains, you know it is going to rain.
If you can't see them, you know it is raining.

horsewidower likes this.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #258 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 02:35 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

In Seattle, the Rain Festival runs from Jan 1st to Dec 31st.
horsewidower likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #259 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
Acura out of the shop tomorrow (a sordid tale of bearings, halfshafts, shop press mishaps and more bearings) and the GTV6 back in.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just got caught up on this. A few things I know for sure...

When you find it on blocks, I drove cross country and stole the wheels.

I donít know how you do car stuff with all that yard.

Itís hard to estimate, but the front end of that car is about 17 feet off the ground.
horsewidower and bulletpruf like this.

John
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L, 1993 Ford 5.0L Mustang
post #260 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

Itís hard to estimate, but the front end of that car is about 17 feet off the ground.
I suppose you saw my solution earlier in the thread...

You guys are killing me. LOL

I've taken 4 days off, if the forecast didn't show two days of rain, I'd probably be working on the property. Work on cars during the winter, work on property the rest of the time. It's pretty unusual for us to have 2" of rain forecast at this time of year.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

post #261 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 04:45 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

"Work on cars during the winter"

But surely not like Veronica who likes to work on their Alfas when it's below freezing and snowing in eastern Oregon, lol.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #262 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
"Work on cars during the winter"

But surely not like Veronica who likes to work on their Alfas when it's below freezing and snowing in eastern Oregon, lol.

Oh no, she's way more hardcore. I need the workshop overhead, and a blazing heater!

post #263 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:

I need to clean and potentially repaint the grille. I assume that a matte black is appropriate. Anyone have any different thoughts?

Bob
Bob

Different thoughts? Yes. DON'T paint the grille. Start with a good cleaning. Then, if more needed, mount it solidly on something to allow easy sand and "polish" of it. If you mask around the grille opening opening, you could mount it on the car. The grille is just bare plastic. The grille slats themselves are the easy part - nice and simple to make those really look great again. Worn out scotchbrite and some proper plastic cleaner works well. Finishing is more time consuming - there are foam tip inserts available to fit into a hand drill that will allow easy polishing. it will look WAY better than paint which will flake off and chip easily.
horsewidower, bulletpruf and Kuma like this.

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
post #264 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Excellent point.

I have to vigorously clean it to paint it. Let's see what it looks like when I get there.

Kuma likes this.

post #265 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Bummer, looks like I'm going to miss out on the smog shop Monday.

I'll run through the extra hoses I've stockpiled and see if I can find a short term stand-in. Looks like the aggressive work to loosen the clutch from the flywheel had unintended consequences.

post #266 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 03:40 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Bummer, looks like I'm going to miss out on the smog shop Monday.

I'll run through the extra hoses I've stockpiled and see if I can find a short term stand-in. Looks like the aggressive work to loosen the clutch from the flywheel had unintended consequences.

In an unknown, old car that has been sitting for a long time, anything that is rubber and consumable needs to be replaced, from brake/clutch hydraulic hoses to brake/clutch hydraulic seals (master/slave cylinders and rebuild brake calipers) to fuel and coolant hoses and drive belts. This may seem excessive, but that is the only way that you know all of that stuff is good, and it will save a lot of headaches down the road!
alfaloco, horsewidower and Alfafix like this.

Chris A: '81 GTV6 rescued from junkyard, "GT" car/'86 Porsche 944 Turbo track/street car/'73 BMW 2002tii fun street car/'74 Jensen Healey Lemons Rally car!
post #267 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Both fuel line 180*s are done. The larger line was a bit more of a fight as my tooling was too small. A bit of heat helped.

I went to install, checked the fuel hose and discovered it was 30r7!

I've done a piss poor job of project management today. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

post #268 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Miscellaneous fuel photos:

There is no reason to believe that any of this is "per spec". If you see anything out of place, let me know.

To save us, all, from needless typing, the blue hose is a 300 psi diesel rated hose on the tank to pump unpressurized leg.

post #269 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 04:26 PM

Garage
You probably know already, but the rubber sleeve goes under the clamp on the fuel pump. Bet you've already done that!
horsewidower likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #270 of 1179 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaloco View Post
You probably know already, but the rubber sleeve goes under the clamp on the fuel pump. Bet you've already done that!

Yes sir. But, I'll pull the brackets, clean and maybe paint them first. Making sure they are ready for another 30 years.

Due to the need to procure a clutch hose, my "need for speed" has abated.

I went to several McParts stores in an attempt to find proper fuel hose. I did finally find some, rated to 225psi.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode