1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 17 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 817Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #241 of 1179 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 07:04 PM
Gold Subscriber

Through the power of The Google I found a website that is literally dedicated to fuel filler neck parts and hoses.

I ordered a couple of feet of this:

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/2-1...e-16731822503/

It was a tight squeeze over the filler side, and I used a wide clamp on the narrower tank side, but it worked well and is rated for fuel. Not a hint of fuel smell since, and it was cheap---plus it has a nice Alfa-red stripe!
horsewidower likes this.

Chris A: '81 GTV6 rescued from junkyard, "GT" car/'86 Porsche 944 Turbo track/street car/'73 BMW 2002tii fun street car/'74 Jensen Healey Lemons Rally car!

Last edited by cda951; 03-12-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 1179 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 07:48 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

I was lucky in that when I changed the filler hose in the Milano, I was able to find a generic Goodyear hose, guaranteed impermeable to gasoline fumes. Trimming it to length, it fit just fine, and eliminated the faint gas fumes in the interior.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #243 of 1179 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Website with filler hose:

https://store.hpsimotorsports.com/co...el-filler-hose

Bob

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 1179 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda951 View Post
Through the power of The Google I found a website that is literally dedicated to fuel filler neck parts and hoses.

I ordered a couple of feet of this:

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/2-1...e-16731822503/
I looked at reducers on that site, I think they would provide a lower cost solution. I wanted to try the HPSI site, given the attempt by folks here to have a number of NLA rubber items repopped. The cost made me have to think about it, though.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

post #245 of 1179 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Acura out of the shop tomorrow (a sordid tale of bearings, halfshafts, shop press mishaps and more bearings) and the GTV6 back in.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raton likes this.

post #246 of 1179 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 10:11 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
YAY!
horsewidower likes this.

'84 Spider Veloce...Why do I have a feeling this is going to be more expensive than my dog showing hobby was...
post #247 of 1179 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I was talking to my main professional mechanic buddy about the intermittent miss. We both came to the conclusion that before I spend a bunch of time chasing it, I should give the car a good "italian tune-up." The car sat for years, and all I've done so far is idle it until it's warm enough to trip the fans on. I just didn't want to burn one of my "moving" permits from the DMV, but I just might have to.

So, in order to be properly prepared, I need to finish the work on the tank, emissions, and fuel pump plumbing (although my temporary fix on the fuel pump just might have to do). If I can get that done this weekend, and the torrential rains abate for a while, I'll take it up and down the road at speed. I won't do anything stupid, as the tires are well passed their throw away date. I may just run up to the smog shop and get my first fail so that I can figure out what to do next. Or, it might surprise me and pass. (Its okay, laugh, I don't believe that will happen either.)

Bob
alfaloco likes this.

post #248 of 1179 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:00 PM

Apologies if you have already done this, but before the initial smog check I would make sure that the voltage at the O2 sensor is varying. It must be fully connected, with the engine warmed up in order for this to happen. I have never done this measurement on a GTV6 but on the Milano it is easy to get at the wire from the firewall in the engine bay. On my Milanos I can tell when the O2 feedback loop is working because it causes the idle speed to vary slightly at a rate of about 0.5-1Hz when warm. As far as I know the GTV6 should be similar but hopefully someone more familiar with the GTV6 will chime in if I am wrong.

Once that is working, if there are no vacuum leaks or sticky injectors and the ignition is in good shape, it should pass unless the cat is worn out.

Good luck!

1969 GTV 1750, 1987 Milano Gold, 1988 Milano Verde, 1975 Alfetta GT
post #249 of 1179 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpberner View Post
Apologies if you have already done this, but before the initial smog check I would make sure that the voltage at the O2 sensor is varying. ...

Good luck!
Great tip, thanks a bunch. I'll take the time to do that. The PO hacked the wiring for the heated O2 and put in a universal one wire. I do have an "experienced" three wire that I should probably give a try. Having never put the car under a load, I don't know if the existing one is really working.

post #250 of 1179 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 07:53 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
I was talking to my main professional mechanic buddy about the intermittent miss. We both came to the conclusion that before I spend a bunch of time chasing it, I should give the car a good "italian tune-up." The car sat for years, and all I've done so far is idle it until it's warm enough to trip the fans on. I just didn't want to burn one of my "moving" permits from the DMV, but I just might have to.

So, in order to be properly prepared, I need to finish the work on the tank, emissions, and fuel pump plumbing (although my temporary fix on the fuel pump just might have to do). If I can get that done this weekend, and the torrential rains abate for a while, I'll take it up and down the road at speed. I won't do anything stupid, as the tires are well passed their throw away date. I may just run up to the smog shop and get my first fail so that I can figure out what to do next. Or, it might surprise me and pass. (Its okay, laugh, I don't believe that will happen either.)

Bob
Make sure all fuel hoses are new and plumbing is safe and do the "permanent" fix (whatever that is) on the fuel pump before taking it out on the road. After all of the work you have done, it will be worth it. Then you can concentrate on any running issues that may crop up and know that you are safe and have covered your bases.

And get some new tires!!!! You will need them anyway, might as well get them mounted up before you go out on the road!

Chris A: '81 GTV6 rescued from junkyard, "GT" car/'86 Porsche 944 Turbo track/street car/'73 BMW 2002tii fun street car/'74 Jensen Healey Lemons Rally car!
post #251 of 1179 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Back in the workshop

post #252 of 1179 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Time to get supplies to finish the headlight rewire and replacement.

I also need to figure out what these two relays were supposed to do. Both were just hanging

And, it looks like this was tweaked.

post #253 of 1179 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Time to keep track of tasks necessary to get the car on the road.

alfaloco likes this.

post #254 of 1179 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Okay, I'm getting some of these at 7' and 3': BEST QUALITY H4 / 9003 High Temperature Headlight Socket / Plug / Connector. We Welcome Custom Orders! All of our Head Light Sockets / Plugs / Connectors are made with USA Wire! - Innova Design & Dist. Inc. (909) 971-0000

And a couple of these: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...0811/overview/

I already have a couple of waterproof relay boxes from a bit of JY diving.

I doubt that I'll get everything before the weekend, but at least I have a plan.

post #255 of 1179 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 11:44 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I have a set of old Hella's that I bought from a guy on the ABB and I installed relays and 14 gauge wire. I rarely drive at night but I had to leave home early a couple of weeks ago for a day at the track and I was surprised at how well they lit up the road on high beams.
horsewidower likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode