1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 14 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 813Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #196 of 1174 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 01:24 PM
Gold Subscriber

Bravo Bob, I knew you'd get it. Your patience is a virtue. Congratulations!
horsewidower likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 1174 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayalfagtv6 View Post
Bravo Bob, I knew you'd get it. Your patience is a virtue. Congratulations!
I couldn't have done it without your considerable help. Thanks so much.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #198 of 1174 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
WE HAVE FIRE!!!

Weak, not yet sustainable, idle. But combustion is happening. We're changing out the 3 month old putrid fuel, and a broken spark plug, and then we'll see if it will sustain an idle. It's amazing how quickly fuel goes bad today.

Nonetheless, big victory!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good job!

But I doubt that 3-month-old gasoline is bad, even with how bad CA gas is these days. I often deal with old cars that have sat for long periods of time, and I'd say that 3 YEARS or more is when you need to start worrying about fuel degradation.

That said, your GTV6 probably needs the entire fuel system gone through if it hasn't already, from cleaning out the tank to new in-tank strainer and all new fuel hoses, pump, filter, rebuilt injectors, pressure regulator, etc (but it seems like you have already done most if not all of that).

Chris A: '81 GTV6 rescued from junkyard, "GT" car/'86 Porsche 944 Turbo track/street car/'73 BMW 2002tii fun street car/'74 Jensen Healey Lemons Rally car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #199 of 1174 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

It stunk like bad gas. The car sat for years, and, even though I'd drained the tank, I think the gas I put in it 3 months ago must have floated on the garbage left in the tank. When I drained the tank, again, it put out some putrid stuff for a short while before getting to fresh smelling fuel.

I haven't, yet, sent injectors in for cleaning. It's on my to do list. I've got a buddy that usually does it for me, but he just moved, and I hate to hit him up until he's settled. I may just send them down to RCengineering, I've used them for racecar stuff in the past.

I do need to address the remaining lines and the pump in the back. Everything up front is done, except the injectors.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

post #200 of 1174 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 04:12 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
It stunk like bad gas. The car sat for years, and, even though I'd drained the tank, I think the gas I put in it 3 months ago must have floated on the garbage left in the tank. When I drained the tank, again, it put out some putrid stuff for a short while before getting to fresh smelling fuel.

I haven't, yet, sent injectors in for cleaning. It's on my to do list. I've got a buddy that usually does it for me, but he just moved, and I hate to hit him up until he's settled. I may just send them down to RCengineering, I've used them for racecar stuff in the past.

I do need to address the remaining lines and the pump in the back. Everything up front is done, except the injectors.
Yeah, it's difficult to properly clean out a gas tank in CA with all of the environmental restrictions in place (though at least some of them are there for a good reason), and it's not like you can find a replacement GTV6 tank anywhere like you can with a Porsche 911 or 356!

For my Lemons Rally GTV6, I installed a pre-filter between the fuel tank and pump, and cleaned rust particles out of it several times before the fuel ran clear, then replaced the in-tank screen (the rest of the fuel system had already been addressed).

Definitely send out the injectors to RC Engineering, they are the best---we use them all the time at my shop. Turnaround is very quick, as is shipping. Don't forget to send the cold start injector as well!

Good luck, it is exciting to see another GTV6 being brought back from the dead!
horsewidower likes this.

Chris A: '81 GTV6 rescued from junkyard, "GT" car/'86 Porsche 944 Turbo track/street car/'73 BMW 2002tii fun street car/'74 Jensen Healey Lemons Rally car!
post #201 of 1174 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

She's humming now.

I tried to upload a video, no joy.

It needed more advance than spec...but worked fine once fiddled with.

No leaks, no smoke after burning off the rubber bands used to help with the assembly of the down pipes, fans came on properly. I'll go through the entire L-Jet tuning procedure, now that it is running.

Of course, we immediately tried to see if the transaxle would shift and the tires would spin. Not a success. The clutch is stuck engaged. Sooooo, time to hit the threads to find a potential solution short of tearing that apart.

The journey continues.

post #202 of 1174 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 05:03 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
I tried to upload a video, no joy.

It needed more advance than spec...but worked fine once fiddled with.

No leaks, no smoke after burning off the rubber bands used to help with the assembly of the down pipes, fans came on properly. I'll go through the entire L-Jet tuning procedure, now that it is running.

Of course, we immediately tried to see if the transaxle would shift and the tires would spin. Not a success. The clutch is stuck engaged. Sooooo, time to hit the threads to find a potential solution short of tearing that apart.

The journey continues.
First, make sure the clutch hydraulics are working and moving the clutch fork.

Before you tear anything apart, get the thing on the ground and purposely slip the clutch to see if it will break free---this is possible if the clutch disc is stuck to the flywheel due to rust. I used to have to street-park my BMW 2002tii, and this was always the case after a heavy rain (wouldn't be able to shift it into gear until I did this, no GTV6-style rubber boot to cover the open cavity for the clutch slave cylinder/fork).
horsewidower likes this.

Last edited by cda951; 02-10-2018 at 05:16 PM.
post #203 of 1174 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda951 View Post

For my Lemons Rally GTV6, I installed a pre-filter between the fuel tank and pump, and cleaned rust particles out of it several times before the fuel ran clear, then replaced the in-tank screen (the rest of the fuel system had already been addressed).

Don't forget to send the cold start injector as well!
Absolutely on the filter, we picked one up and I need to install it. Bought a see through.

Great catch on the cold start. Hadn't even thought about that! I was going to send them 8 to 10 injectors in order to get a set of 6 that are closely matched.

post #204 of 1174 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 05:18 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Absolutely on the filter, we picked one up and I need to install it. Bought a see through.
I destroyed several fuel pumps due to debris in the tank when I first got my GTV6. I still have an industrial strainer up stream of the pump that I installed to trap the garbage. I replaced the tank but I don't see a good reason to remove the strainer.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #205 of 1174 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 05:22 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
I destroyed several fuel pumps due to debris in the tank when I first got my GTV6. I still have an industrial strainer up stream of the pump that I installed to trap the garbage. I replaced the tank but I don't see a good reason to remove the strainer.
I should have clarified; I waited to install a new strainer on mine until I had ensured that all of the large rust flakes had come out of the tank and got trapped in the pre-filter that I installed between the tank and pump. Once it ran clear, the new strainer was installed to replace the rusted-out original version.

post #206 of 1174 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 05:49 PM
Platinum Subscriber

For troubleshooting I suggest that you plumb a pressure gauge into the line to the cold start injector. Harbor Freight sell a fuel pressure test kit for the price of a couple of beers.
horsewidower likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #207 of 1174 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Fiddled a bit today. Primary chore was moving all the Alfas to a different location on the property, and property maintenance.

After spraying brake cleaner in the clutch housing bottom hole (which, after looking at a diagram, was probably a waste of cleaner) and using a stick to jam the clutch pedal to the floor overnight, and started the engine and tried to engage the gear. Still stuck. Bummer. I'll try the "start it in gear..." option next weekend.

Looks like 3 of the four calipers have sticking pistons. Only one that appears to work properly is the right rear. Or, maybe it's pistons are stuck and won't extend. LOL Anyhow, one more item to address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #208 of 1174 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Just to reassure myself, I asked PMB for a quote to rebuild the rear calipers. Given that I have so many other things to address, I thought I might send out my extra set of calipers in order to save time. $325 for the pair is very reasonable. I need to check around town for a zinc yellow plater. I have many of the parts already, which vendor do you folks recommend for tall the seals, including the little ones for the adjusters?

On another note, what is the stock exterior treatment for the front Brembo caliper? Are they just raw aluminum?

Bob

post #209 of 1174 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 11:02 AM

Bob, I'm sending you an email...
horsewidower likes this.

Rob
Alfas first, then everything else.
post #210 of 1174 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 04:32 PM

Stuck clutch

Here is how I've done it in the past.
Jack stands under the rear of the car so the wheels can spin, start the car in first gear so the wheels spin, put the clutch in and and stand on the brakes. The engine torque should break the clutch disc free.

I've used this method 2 or 3 times and it has always worked for me.

Wes
Winner 24 Hours of Lemons, Finally

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode