1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 12 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 1181 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

The gift that keeps on giving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alfaloco likes this.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 1181 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Rob with the win, cracked fuel filler hose. Now to chase down a replacement.

Other pictures if the fuel tank etc.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

post #168 of 1181 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 05:40 PM
Platinum Subscriber

An ABB member had a batch of filler hoses made earlier this year. I have one on my GTV6. You should be able to find the details with a search.
horsewidower likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #169 of 1181 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

QUICK QUESTION: Was the radio a dealer install?

I've looked at a lot of photos and some video, there doesn't seem to be any consistency in location. I've got the rear interior panels out, and am trying to decide how to treat them. There are, of course, no grills for the ugly speaker holes for the doors or the rear panels. I picked up a couple of "Alfa Romeo" badged grills for the door, but they aren't large enough to deal with the gaping holes in the interior panels.

Bob

post #170 of 1181 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Oh, quick update on the starter. The one I just took off the car, I took down to the McParts store for a test. Passed electrically, but had a very audible failing bearing. I'm sure under the load of turning the engine that it was maxed out. A bit tedious to remove but not difficult.

Bob

post #171 of 1181 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

My son came back from North Dakota and promptly gifted me some flu...and that was complicated by 3 days in bed and having my back go out of whack! So, all the time anticipated on the car was not to be. Prior to the flu, I did manage to go see William in Richmond and pick up a matching set of door locks (with key!!! which we all know is essential) and some body cladding. His help has been essential in providing needed items for this project. Thanks again.

Thought I might work on it this weekend, but last night the well water-tank twisted on its supports and split one of the outgoing water lines. Apparently the gophers under-mined the support, and the timbers had seen their last (probably original from the 1942 install!) So this weekend I'll be working on that. The barn has to have it's water, and to fix that, I have to shut off the whole system. I think a couple of extra valves will get installed in order to better isolate the various paths of the lines.

I've got some pictures to upload, I'll see if I can get that done. I'll try and clear the plate for some actual work next weekend.

post #172 of 1181 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 08:25 PM

Oh man, I just picked this and read it all the way through. You've done a great job bringing this back so far. Hope you heal up good and can get back to it!
horsewidower likes this.
post #173 of 1181 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 09:08 AM

Garage
You know, Henry makes a real nice 22 carbine that would undermine them there gophers!
horsewidower likes this.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #174 of 1181 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaloco View Post
You know, Henry makes a real nice 22 carbine that would undermine them there gophers!
They've been decimating the little bit of lawn that I have on the place. Probably a good thing that I didn't fill their underground burrows with propane and then light it!!! I wonder how high the tank would have flown. LOL
alfaloco likes this.

post #175 of 1181 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 01:50 PM

Hi horsewidower,

I just got a quick message from ALFAloco that you may be searching for a new rubber tube that connects the filler neck to the gas tank on a GTV6. If you like, you can contact me via e-mail on that.

Peter
[email protected]
post #176 of 1181 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

So, a buddy just got a hold of me to say that his group of car enthusiasts have rented out an entire local track on May 9th. So...there is a target date to get this thing working competently.

I've got a couple of guys coming over on February 3rd to see if we can get the engine to start. Its an electrical issue that's very hard to figure out without an extra set of hands. It's awful hard to hold the DVOM and turn the key at the same time. I've tried with a remote start and it's still a PITA.

So, we'll get this ramped back up shortly. I still have an Acura and truck to work on this weekend. I need to get them out of the way.
alfaloco likes this.

post #177 of 1181 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Need additional parts for the Acura, and the truck is full of hay, so:

Getting ready to reinstall the starter, a little rust prevention and paint.

post #178 of 1181 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Some pictures from the removal of the starter:

A magnet on a stick was a big help:

The main power cable to the starter was corroded, I cut the bad out, and reattached the connector:

One interesting find was that someone port matched the exhaust manifold, and gaskets:

post #179 of 1181 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Starter and manifold back in place.

Over did it with the shield. And decided not to wrap the exhaust.

alfaloco and Savali 3.1 like this.

post #180 of 1181 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

My buddy came over to help figure out the "no spark" condition. There was no signal to the coil, which was traced to a lack of pulse from the Hall effect sensor at the distributor.

Wouldn't you know it, someone has been inside the distributor. One spring has been removed, probably in an attempt to encourage a faster advance curve.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode