1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..." - Page 10 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 1181 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
The car looks stunning. Can't wait to see it run.

'84 Spider Veloce...Why do I have a feeling this is going to be more expensive than my dog showing hobby was...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 1181 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asym View Post
The car looks stunning. Can't wait to see it run.

Pictures lie...LOL

But thanks.

I don't think I'll be able to fix the ignition problem until I replace the starter. It drags the system voltage down to far less than 10 volts. Most ECUs I'm familiar with need more than 10 volts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #138 of 1181 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I'll probably pick up a Blaster coil and ignition module just to eliminate them. I ran through the manuals tests, except those requiring an oscilloscope, and they passed.

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 1181 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 05:35 AM
Platinum Subscriber

The ignition module fires the coil when pin 5 goes from 12V to 0V. The strobe signal from the Hall sensor goes first to the ignition advance computer and then to the ignition module. If the new coil does not give you sparks then check the grounds at the module.
I spent some time experimenting with ignition modules. There are several versions that look the same but have different characteristics and a couple that I bought new on Ebay were DOA.

Great idea to replace the starter while the engine is out of the car as it is not a fun job with the engine installed.

I have a good module and ignition computer that you can borrow if you have to resort to swapping them out.
horsewidower likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #140 of 1181 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post

I have a good module and ignition computer that you can borrow if you have to resort to swapping them out.
That is a very kind offer. Let me get the starter installed and see if that is the problem. If that doesn't cure it, I'll send you a message.

Thanks
Bob

post #141 of 1181 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

The elusive CAT bracket is here! Thanks a bunch, Rob.

post #142 of 1181 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 06:31 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to martym00se72
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewidower View Post
It drags the system voltage down to far less than 10 volts.
How old is your battery? I had a similar sounding issue and started hunting through starter issues but voltage at the starter shouldn't drop like that. Replaced the battery and all good. I was starting to wonder if I had fried my starter as I didn't install heat shield when I did the engine swap - now since rectified but thankfully not the cause of my woe.

'83 GTV6 - 164 12v 3.0 in!
'99 156 Twin spark - for track time fun! And ferrying the kids around in...
post #143 of 1181 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

1984 Maratona "Ran when parked..."

Excellent question, I'll go look. I always recharge before giving a "new to me" restart a try. I think it's a 2016, but I'm not sure. I thought about swapping in a different battery, given your comment, I think I will.

My buddy dropped off the extra starter to the rebuilder, I sent my friend the thread on the rebuilt starters "hanging". They discussed the issue, and made a couple of phone calls. One of the rebuilder's contacts said "yep, common problem with Alfas, here's how you fix it...". Unfortunately, we won't have all the parts until mid-December.

That's okay, I've got plenty of other things to do.

Last edited by horsewidower; 11-14-2017 at 06:53 PM.
post #144 of 1181 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Doing some planning for next year. AC is big on the list.

I picked up the bracketry for the Sanden conversion. Currently the car has all the engine bay AC removed, and the hacked together Tropic-Aire was removed in the passenger compartment. Man it was a mess, as usual for this car the wiring was a disaster.

I live in California's central valley, where we will see triple digit temperature for extended periods during the summer. I'm looking at Vintage Air systems, and want as much AC capacity as possible. I've looked at some of the threads that have done the conversion, and am looking for any input as to the maximum size system that folks think can be installed. I'd like to try and keep the stock look to the dash and ducting system, and will work on converting any of the VA system controls to work with the stock knobs and ducting.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As to the project progress...I'm distracted by a couple of things that need to be done on the house. And, waiting for parts from Brazil to properly rebuild the starter solenoid. Oh, and I ordered a nice suspension Christmas present and am waiting for it to journey across the pond from the UK. A full front suspension rebuild is in the plans.

I'll take off between Christmas and New Year's day. Hopefully I can get a couple of full days in on the car.

Bob

post #145 of 1181 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

The menagerie waiting for their turn in the shop.

post #146 of 1181 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Add r&r for the brakes. I received a spectacular collection of brake parts from Rob (also included parts for the '74 GTV).

I can say that I'm not looking forward to wrestling with the rear brakes. Luckily, the transaxle I received from William in Richmond has calipers and discs attached. I'll rebuild those and use them to replace what's on the car.

Still waiting for parts for the starter.

I went all in and took off two weeks...

post #147 of 1181 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Got the call, they have the parts to rebuild the starter, correctly.

I had to finish up my part, doing a bit of cleaning and painting. I should have the starter this weekend.

post #148 of 1181 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:59 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
{Brakes} Stop and {Starter} Go.. are you getting ready to drive her???
horsewidower likes this.

'84 Spider Veloce...Why do I have a feeling this is going to be more expensive than my dog showing hobby was...
post #149 of 1181 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

My frustration is boiling over today. Let me vent for a moment...

We live out in the country, mail isn't delivered to the house (we quickly learned that the local reprobates would steal everything in our mailbox) we get it at a PO Box. Usually this isn't a problem, however, it can be an issue when we get things from overseas. You see, if UPS or FedEx deliver the package, it comes to the street address, if it gets delivered by United States Postal Services, they drive by the house (if addressed to the street address) and then send it back to sender...it has to have the PO Box #. Usually, because we know the regular employees, the street addressed items get grabbed and they get it to the PO.

Not this time of year, the seasonal temps just send stuff back.

So it was with some trepidation that I noticed that a special item (waiting on for 6+months), sent from the UK by Parcelforce, was being handled by the USPS...Now I gave the sender an address to use if the stuff was sent by a parcel service, the street address, and an alternate if the parcel was going to be delivered by the USPS, the PO Box. Which one did he use??? I couldn't find the actual address from either source, so I watched and I watched...it was sent out for delivery from my local PO...maybe it was going to MAKE IT!!! OH NO!!!!!

ALERT, your package had an incorrect address (I know the mailman drove right in front of the house, I see it all the time) and will be delivered to an alternative address.

WHAT alternative address, **** it, tell me where to go chase my parcel, that I've been waiting on for 6 months, that has cost me $$$$$ and the guy isn't going to make anymore!

So I figure that they must be taking it to our local post office, I sprint out of work and drive the hour back home, only to arrive 6 minutes too late. They're closed.

Sigh

Today, I get up, thinking "well they must hold it for a day before sending off, wouldn't that be logical if they "delivered to an alternative location." I hit the front lobby at 8:25, waiting for the 8:30 opening. Bummer, they've already stuck it in a truck and it's off to the distribution center, heading back to the UK. I talk to the Postmaster, no help...didn't even mention that I could go on-line and ask for a redelivery (NICE, not!!) which I figured out when I got into work and started chasing the parcel electronically. I've requested that it be redelivered on the 18th, and held at the post office.

So now, the anticipation, again, starts...ARGGGGGHHHHH

Last edited by horsewidower; 12-15-2017 at 02:55 PM.
post #150 of 1181 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 12:53 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Wow. Unbelievable. I'd move out of the Peeples Republik to a state where you don't have worry about stuff like that.

I remember when I was a kid living in Southern California, that when someone would move out of their house, locals would go a dig up plants/scrubs/flowers, etc and steal them before the new owners moved in. You had to nail everything down. Not the way life is supposed to be lived.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode