Are my plug wires bad and if so would that cause stalling after the car is hot? - Page 15 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 302 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 06:14 PM

Garage
The early distributors are inductive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 302 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 06:54 PM
Platinum Subscriber

If you are sure of that then I stand corrected. Sportiva posted an ignition schematic that indicated that it is a Hall sensor and it works with the Bosch ignition module for a later 3 wire distributor which is definitely Hall.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #213 of 302 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Well, in the parts bin at least the only replaceable/serviceable part is described as a pickup coil, which to my ears sounds like an inductive part. So I stand corrected too. Although it seems a failure of that part would cause similarly terrible running. If I spin my dizzy rapidly and listen, I don't always hear the injector pop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as good as a car can be... briefly.
'82 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 302 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:06 PM
Platinum Subscriber

With inductive pickups the gap between the rotor and the coil is important. You loose the signal if the gap is too large. Maybe there is excessive play in the distributor shaft that causes the gap to vary or maybe the coil is loose.
alfaloco likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #215 of 302 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Well, the snap ring wasn't in the groove. So that's possible, although I'd really need to see a known good one to tell if the play in the shaft is excessive.
So far, from what I've read, a bad hall sensor or pickup coil would manifest most of my symptoms.

'82 GTV6
post #216 of 302 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 05:22 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Rotor

Check the rotor for discoloration in the area where the resistor connector between the center contact and pointer end. There has been numerous failures of these resistor designed rotors.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
post #217 of 302 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

This is the old rotor. I replaced it not long ago with a proper one from Centerline, with the built in rev limiter. This one had been on the car for about 8 years and I just assumed the cracking/discoloration was normal.

I started a new thread about distributor rebuild. Couldn't find ANYTHING documenting this using the search.
Attached Images

'82 GTV6
post #218 of 302 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 07:23 AM

Garage
If there is play in the distributor shaft side to side, that is a problem. Up and down not so much as the pin in the shaft tends to be loose as new and allows some movement up and down. If the shaft is suspect, I think replacement is in order. I too searched high and low for info on rebuilding the early distributor and there really isn't that much out there in info and/or parts. I ended up posting and was able to source a nos distributor from a guy in montreal. I linked that exchange above^ in an earlier post. Maybe reach out to him and see if he has another? They are extremely hard to find. I have an early distributor that is apart and missing some stuff (vacuum pot and misc. screws) but it did work and I am happy to send to you so you can give it a shot. I will check with my local mechanic and see if he has one assembled.
post #219 of 302 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Sine mine seems mechanically sound I'd prefer to just replace the $30 pickup coil than buy a new one, which may or may not have electronic issues too. I wonder if there's a special tool like a gear puller that's required? Must be a service manual for the part SOMEWHERE in the WWW.

'82 GTV6
post #220 of 302 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:08 AM

Garage
Doesn't the shaft ride in a bushing, like most distributors? There are certainly sources for metric size bronze bushings.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #221 of 302 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

It does, but mine has no lateral play so I think it's fine.
And to be sure, I'm not even sure how you're supposed to test a pickup coil, other than to note the car has ignition problems (like mine) with no other measurable faults.

'82 GTV6
post #222 of 302 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

et voila - https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...gnition-pickup & http://www.ehow.com/list_5946595_sig...ckup-coil.html

Sort of a smoking gun, especially the intermittent issues, shuddenly shutting down, etc.

'82 GTV6
post #223 of 302 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:40 AM

Garage
Looks promising! If it's any consolation, when it's running well, you will shortly forget about how frustrated you are. It's just like a home remodel only worse. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairmankaga View Post
et voila - https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...gnition-pickup & Signs of a Bad Pickup Coil | eHow

Sort of a smoking gun, especially the intermittent issues, shuddenly shutting down, etc.
post #224 of 302 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

New pickup ordered and the distributor now fully disassembled with no lost or broken bits. Just required some brute force.

'82 GTV6
post #225 of 302 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
I'm not even sure how you're supposed to test a pickup coil
Spin the distributor and monitor the output on an oscilloscope. But since the average Giuseppe does not have the equipment to do that nor does he know what the pulse is supposed to look like, you can only check it for continuity with an ohm meter.
I will be following your progress.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode