Antenna connection - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Antenna connection

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone has a photo of where the wire from the dash connects to the antenna in the windscreen.

My dash has been re-skinned at some point, and what I assume would have been a small wire connecting to the orange circle antenna at the base of the screen has no access.

Is there a hole in the dash that the wire passes through, or does the wire just come out from under the dash where the dash meets the screen?

I'm trying to minimise any cuts or holes I need to make in what is quite a clean dash.

Any tips very welcome. Thank you for sharing the knowledge.

GTV Craig - 1958 Holden FC Special (sold), 1971 Volvo P1800E (sold), 1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6 (current)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 07:47 AM

If you had access under there, you'd see that if you follow the wire from your radio up to where it connects to the internal windshield connection... at the bottom center of the glass there is a thin (and very fragile) plastic film tab with a 'snap' on it. The 'snap' is similar to what you might find on clothing. A small round male and female arrangement that pops together and pops open to separate. So, the connecting wire goes straight from the radio, along the tunnel and firewall, to the lower center of the windshield.

Peter
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Peter,

Any idea where I might acquire one of these snaps?

GTV Craig - 1958 Holden FC Special (sold), 1971 Volvo P1800E (sold), 1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6 (current)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 06:49 PM

For which side? The side that snaps to the windshield... or the side that goes to the radio? Or, did you need the complete wire that goes from the windshield to the radio?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Assuming the wire itself is pretty standard, but I will need both sides of the clip.

I've read other posts about making the connection using various other methods, but if these snaps/clips are around it would be good to get one. If not, I'll run a wire from the back of the stereo and fix it to the screen using some of the suggested in other threads, conductive glue.

Thanks for your help.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 08:22 PM

The wire passes between the dash and the screen but you can't pull it through, behind the dash the wire is earthed to the firewall the plastic outer sheath has a cut out exposing the shielding wire this wire is screwed to the firewall with a tab soldered to it
the "snap"as mentioned by planetmojo2 is exactly the same as the connectors that go onto a 9 volt battery
The antenna wire leaves the radio the shield is earthed at the firewall and the inner wire is connected to the snap connector
In Australia you could probably get the connector at Jaycar electronics separate the male amd female from the black plastic. The female side of the connector is soldered to the antenna wire the male side is attached to the glass

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...-injector.html

cheers
Attached Images

Glen 3.0 GTV6 2.0 156 JTS
EX 1.2 Alfasud. 1.8 and 2.0 Alfetta's 2.5 Alfa75

Last edited by sportiva; 01-31-2017 at 08:31 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hmm this is getting more complex than my limited skill set can cope with. Might have to wait until the new stereo goes in, and I get someone to install it.

In the mean time, I think I'll buy a few cassettes, and use that part of the period stereo for the time being. Hall & Oates were the go in 85 from memory.

Thanks for the very detailed info. The knowledge on this board is unreal.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTVCraig View Post
Assuming the wire itself is pretty standard, but I will need both sides of the clip.

I've read other posts about making the connection using various other methods, but if these snaps/clips are around it would be good to get one. If not, I'll run a wire from the back of the stereo and fix it to the screen using some of the suggested in other threads, conductive glue.

Thanks for your help.
To make sure I understood fully... your windshield has the antenna integrated into the windshield, jah? That being the case, you would need to check to see if the transparent plastic tab with the snap on the glass side is still intact and operable. The wire that connects the radio to that has the other half of the snap and clips to the glass side. The other end of the wire has the expected connection on the radio end that just pushes in (may be called an RCA connector?).

I may have a couple of extras of these wires on my bone cars. Need to keep one for myself. My organ donor cars are a 2 hour round trip away, and I don't get down there often this time of year (it's winter here). If there is no big rush on your end, I could bring one back with me when I make my next visit. And also take a pick of what all goes on in that area for you. You could use that time to check the condition of the snap on the glass on yours to see if that wire is all you need. You may have to pull the dash away from the car somewhat to get a good look (2 attachment points on each side, and 2 screws behind the upper dash vents, I believe). Make sure you don't yank on that wire when pulling your dash away. It may be anchored on the firewall. You don't want the wire to strain on the glass side. That could break off the tab with the snap!

The windshields with integral antennas on a factory GTV6 had the antenna wires on the interior side of the glass, exposed. In my state, our inspection stickers go just under the interior mirror on the inside of the glass. Many antennas have been killed by a mechanic taking a razor blade to remove the expired sticker... and shaving the antenna wires off the glass in the process! I recently purchased a used aftermarket windshield that had the antenna wires INSIDE the sandwich. You can tell which you have by running your fingers lightly over the wires on the inside of the glass. If you feel a slight bump there, you have the stock ALFA design. The one I just purchased had the tab with the snap broken off... and a connector wire had been soldered in its place. If you find bad news on the condition of your snap, I can send a detail pic of how that looks in case you need to create a new connection.

Most folks prefer the integrated antenna glass, as it solves the problem of where to put an ugly mast antenna on the body. The glass that is NLA, and most desired, has an amber/bronze tint and integrated antenna. So, if yours is still in good shape, treat it with care!

Here's my e-maill for when you have more news on what you might need to achieve your goals (wire, or info and pix)---
[email protected]

Cheers,
Peter

Last edited by planetmojo2; 02-08-2017 at 10:13 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Peter,

Thanks very helpful. I've got a guy looking at the stereo in a couple of weeks, so will see what, if anything is left of these snaps. At the moment I can't find any sign of either end of them, and I say the dash has been re skinned.

Weirdly the FM radio started working the other day all by itself. Only 1 of 4 speakers though. No AM, but still listening to tapes. And the engine of course. Listen to that!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 10:11 AM

If you need a temporary option while you are waiting for news on your issue... I've heard there is an antenna solution that gets hidden in your glove box. I think it's a wire that plugs into the back of the radio, with a small block on the other end. The block end gets hidden in the glove box, or on the shelf below it, etc. Supposedly not a great antenna. But an easy solution needing no serious mounting work. And better than nothing.

Agreed... some of the best music comes out of the tail pipes.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 10:33 AM

I have my own question to add. In working on my project GTV6, I will have a factory stock windshield (with the wires exposed on the glass), and an aftermarket windshield (with the wires inside the sandwich). In choosing a winner when the time comes, is there a way to test the effectiveness of the antenna? I'd prefer not to remove and reinstall the glass any more than is absolutely necc, for obvious reasons.

I'm certainly not a wizard on 'things electric'. I kind of understand you can use a meter to check the continuity of a circuit. But the two wires on the glass just terminate in a 'dead end'. So, they don't really constitute a circuit, as I would understand it.

Worst case, I may be able to position each glass panel over top of the existing windshield, and create a much longer wire to connect the radio to the antenna to reach. Then, try each windshield to see if I can tell if I'm getting a stronger signal on one over the other. Pretty clumsy approach, I know. So, hoping someone has a better test to offer.

Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode