Ignition control module/amplifier spark box for an '82 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Ignition control module/amplifier spark box for an '82

So I'm just preparing myself for the eventuality I'd need to replace this, as it's presently a prime suspect in my crap running situation.

I was under the impression the stock Bosch box was a dime a dozen, but I cannot find any vendor who has one with the same part number or even looks like mine in stock, or even used on ebay.

This part comes up but it's from a Milano and has an extra pin. Alfa Romeo Milano GTV6 Bosch Ignition Module 0227921001 | eBay
I thought I'd read here that a Milano module might work, but I also now there were some changes to the ignition setup, maybe in the distributor with the hall effect sensor, in '84 or '85.

I'm not buying anything until I can nail down the source of the problem for certain, but I'd also like to have my ducks in a row so that once I finish testing everything and decide on what to do, I don't have to spend another month trying to find the part.

as good as a car can be... briefly.
'82 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 09:35 AM

Not sure if this is any help, or confusing the question more? Going by the foto in the link, I found the same part and part number that came off a GTV6. Don't remember which year, tho. The first pix shows the matching part.

The second 2 pix show the units I thought were called ignition control modules. The larger cast units were for earlier GTV6s. The smaller unit shown replaced the box on later models. Probably both are needed, and the part names are related?

The black plastic box is an extra I have, in case you decide you need a replacement for yours.

Peter
Attached Images

Last edited by planetmojo2; 05-12-2016 at 09:40 AM.
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

The silver box is what came off of my car. Bosch 0 227 100 017. Totally NLA. The black plastic box is what I believe ended up on MIlanos and later GTV6's, but it has 7 pins and a different harness. Maybe it would work? I've seen it suggested here on the BB but no confirmation. The smaller one I think is a BMW part, or maybe just a more or less equivalent L-Jet or Motronic module.

Any insight into this? I did find an original Bosch 017 6-pin box in Khazikstan. It's about $600. Or maybe that's Euros. Possibly rubles. I actually have no idea.

'82 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 10:04 AM

The 017 box is available from me if that solves the problem. Came in with a bunch of parts from Europe... so it is untested. Could send it conditionally, if desired. If it solves the problem we settle up. If it doesn't function properly, you can return it. I sold one to a friend in Ireland a while back, and that one fixed his early GTV6. So the 017 shown in the pix is my last one of those left in my stash.

On my 1986 GTV6, my mechanic had told me the little 'BMW' chip was what replaced the cast aluminum box on later GTV6s. As I'm a bit green on these things, I can't argue that either way. But the cast box has not been present on any of my later model GTV6s. Could check under the hood of the one in my yard... but it has a Verde 3.0 in it. So, that may not answer any 1982 GTV6 questions.

The grouping of the contact blades on all 3 look very different. So, in any case, might not be a quick plug-in.
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Given the scarcity of the original, there might not be a viable option. Still checking other sources. I can't imagine the amplifier for another L-Jet car would be THAT different. I'm sure the harness could be swapped so that we'd be able to use a newer part.

SOMEBODY out there has to know for sure. As regularly as these allegedly fail there must be a relatively simple solution.

For what it's worth, Centerline shows the smaller box as the correct part for '84-'86 GTV6 and Milano.
https://www.centerlinealfa.com/ignition-system/2652

'82 GTV6

Last edited by chairmankaga; 05-12-2016 at 01:10 PM.
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 04:44 PM

You can drill open the four metal rivets, remove the cover and fix it. Bad solder joints are easy to fix (and a likely culprit) if it is failing components then that is a bit more work. They normally come up for 50 euros on ebay.de and ebay.it.

Last edited by tpalfa; 05-12-2016 at 05:46 PM.
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 06:38 PM

Garage
The black plastic ignition module that Peter posted above is what is used on my son's '86. It's behind the left eyeball vent in back of the dash. I know the plug-in is identical also, since I compared it to sketches I made while we had the dash apart last year.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 08:04 PM

Maybe the cast aluminum box is on the 1981-'83 GTV6s. And the combination of the black plastic box plus the 'BMW' module replaced the single metal box for the 1984-'86 models?? Someone must know this.

After diagnosing the problem, if you find you need the 017 aluminum unit I do have the one shown in the pic above to sell.

Peter
alfavulcan likes this.

Last edited by planetmojo2; 05-12-2016 at 08:09 PM.
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 08:06 PM

Garage
Hey there HMA... you out there and got your ears on?

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 01:44 AM

the smaller ignition amplifier TM117 will work as a direct replacement for the larger alloy cased 017 unit it is basically an updated version I have swapped mine over in my GTV6 with one from an alfa75/ Milano
you will need the 7 pin connector as well as the amplifier TM117 for the best connection
my older style amp had these colored wires
black/white.......................................connec t to #1 on new amp
black............................................. ..................#2 on new amp
green/black .................................................. ...#4 on new amp
green + shield
green............................................. ..................#5 on new amp
shield............................................ ...................#3 on new amp
#6 and 7 are not used
If you look you will see the numbers on the newer amp in the photo in post #2
I tried to post a photo with no success
I have watched your other posts and I do feel for you I know this car frustrates you so I hope this helps you out

Glen 3.0 GTV6 2.0 156 JTS
EX 1.2 Alfasud. 1.8 and 2.0 Alfetta's 2.5 Alfa75

Last edited by sportiva; 07-14-2019 at 02:15 AM. Reason: clarification
post #11 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

So in an ideal world you'd splice in a new connector like this - Porsche 911 993 Engine Harness Connector for Ignition Control Module 7 Pin Bosch | eBay

And use it with the new-style amplifier like the one Centerline sells (which is actually only six pins) - https://www.centerlinealfa.com/ignition-system/2652

And not change out anything else? I know there's also a component under the dash which I haven't even begun to mess with. My understanding if something is going to fail, it's almost always the coil, which I replaced last year, or the amplifier.

'82 GTV6
post #12 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

And to add to the fun, the only shop manual available (CarDisc) is for an '85. The system changed in 1984, so there's no reference for the 81-83.

'82 GTV6
post #13 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 06:35 PM

This schematic is for the early ignition system with a 2 wire [ green + shield wire] distributor the later model distributors had a three wire connector
Check your wire colors to the old alloy amp if they are the same as the list below you should be able to connect to the new amp as I have done on my car
1 x black / white
1 x black
1 green from distributor
1 shield from distributor
2 x green / black
Attached Images

Last edited by sportiva; 08-16-2017 at 09:31 PM.
post #14 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 06:57 PM

Sorry about the poor quality schematics
the gold wire is the shield wire
Attached Images

chairmankaga and martym00se72 like this.

Last edited by sportiva; 05-17-2016 at 02:38 AM.
post #15 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the schematics. I'm sure all of this will be really useful for others with 81-83 cars. However, my issue was actually a coolant temp sensor with a loose terminal. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. The car is running smooth as melted butter, at the moment.

'82 GTV6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode