GTV6 lowering to Euro spec, steering and suspension work - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey garzamiranda, welcome to the forum and congratulation on your GTV6! You can find the inner tie rods at Performatek (Performatek - Online Catalog), click on Products for "Alfa Romeo", then "Suspension", the "GTV6/Milano Price List", and finally on "Inner tie rod Milano (75) DDTR-I $39.95". The Milano ones are a direct replacement to the GTV6's. They are very slightly different where they screw on the steering rack, but will work perfectly.

Regarding the steering rack you can try calling Larry at APE (Alfa Parts Exchange - 209-three six five-1383) to see if he has a good used one. Otherwise you can rebuild yours quite easily. The only tricky part to find is the passenger side plastic end bush. However I rebuilt mine with new rubber o-rings and it works perfectly. The correct o-rings you need are these: Amazon.com: 50 Pcs 33mm Outside Dia 2.5mm Thick Nitrile Rubber Sealing O Ring Gasket Washer: Home Improvement You get 50 for 5 bucks and you only need 2.

If you do rebuild your steering rack it's a good idea to remove the steering damper because it's probably not doing anything anymore and because it makes installing an removing the rack in the future a lot easier. When installing the rebuilt rack without the damper I did the following:

Good Luck!

xSportiva I decided to purchase a hydraulic press (found one from Harbor Freight for $120 including shipping!) and with it I was able to remove all the bushes with incredible ease. I am now ready to reassemble the lower control arms. I do have a question though. After reinstalling the "dog bone" back in the lower control arm with the new bushes, should I then put a blob of grease in the holes? See photo here:

Thanks for your help!

Cheers everyone.
Igor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 08:06 PM

Hi Igor

yes put some grease in the hole then refit the blanking disk and a little more grease on the other side. the press is a good investment well worth the money.

cheers

Glen 3.0 GTV6 2.0 156 JTS
EX 1.2 Alfasud. 1.8 and 2.0 Alfetta's 2.5 Alfa75
post #78 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 11:25 AM

Samana76! Thank you for your feedback. It really helps!

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hello everyone,

Progress on my front suspension has been very slow. But slowly, one little step at a time, I am inching closer to getting everything done. Today I had some time to reassemble the lower control arms and dog bones with new bushings. Here are the photos:

Name:  WP_20160118_12_41_49_Raw.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  52.1 KB

Name:  WP_20160118_12_42_25_Raw.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  53.8 KB

Name:  WP_20160118_12_42_40_Raw.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  WP_20160118_12_43_26_Raw.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  WP_20160118_13_37_34_Raw.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  55.2 KB

Before actually pressing the bushings in I did grease everything up (the first four photos are just to show the orientation of each component). I pressed them in, one at a time of course, with my 12-ton press (I'm so happy I got this, it makes life so much easier for these tasks) until I reached some resistance (basically until the bushing would not move any longer). I'm pretty sure I did everything correctly. I torqued the end nuts to spec. I must say the dog bone is quite tight, though. With a screwdriver in one of the holes, it takes quite a bit of force to rotate it. Is this normal? I assume that the force of the torsion bar, weight of the wheel, leverage, etc. will overcome the tightness without issue, but was just curious to know if in fact it should be this tight.

Cheers,
Igor
post #80 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 07:20 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
lowering my alfetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfasrule View Post
Trooper got the OK from Andy. Need an e-mail. You can send me a PM.
Igor your all set!
Hi Alfasrule, I am in the process of lowering my 76 gt front end as well. would you mind sharing the PDF from Trooper?

Thanks, in advance.

N

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode