Alfa investment advice - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Alfajay
  • 1 Post By Gubi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Alfa investment advice

For all those Alfisti out there who waited too long to buy a Duetto or GTV or Super(let alone any kind of Giulietta) or sold one long ago for next to nothing... NOW is your last chance to buy a cheap rear drive Alfa. Cheap to me is under $5000. This now rules out most GTV6s but there's a bunch of Alfettas and Milanos out there that aren't rust buckets. What else is there? Alfetta coupes are a joy to drive and the sedans handle even better.The Milano 2.5 is a great car In ten years Alfetta and Milano prices will skyrocket-I just hope I'm around to see it happen....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 09:55 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tyson View Post
In ten years Alfetta and Milano prices will skyrocket
I don't agree with the above statement. I would say that Alfetta and Milano prices might skyrocket. Then too, they might continue to muddle along.

There is also a possibility that all assets - including front-engined, V-12 Ferraris and early 911's - will plummet in value. It has happened before and certainly could happen again.

My recommendation: Buy an Alfetta or Milano only if you want one. If you make money on it, that's a windfall.
1978alfa and Norseman50 like this.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 11:54 AM

I agree with Jay's approach. I recently bought an Alfetta GT (Sprint Veloce) because I love driving it and looking at it. However, I justified the purchase to my kids (who are smart enough not to buy Dad's lame argument) as in investment in 'the next Alfa model to start appreciating'.

Was I lying to my kids? Maybe, maybe not. But I'm really enjoying the Alfetta (as I have two previous Alfettas, a GTV6 and a Milano) and, if it turns out to be a collectible someday I'll consider that a bonus. But I'm not counting on it.

Dave Spiegelthal, Centreville, VA
'91 164S, '79 Alfetta GT, '85 Fiat X1/9, '71 Fiat 850 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

On reflection I mislabeled my thread-the emphasis should have been on the current affordability of the Alfetta and Milano. They can be acquired and improved upon on a budget.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 06:34 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

In ten years d-mn near all the Milanos and the Alfettas will be long gone. It just won't be practical to keep them running.

It pains me to say this, because the Milano is a great little car. But they were never popular enough to the point where they'll go up in value. Like most old cars they'll just muddle along and only be of interest to a few weird collectors of odd marques.
1978alfa likes this.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

" a few weird collectors of odd marques"- I would be proud to be considered a weird collector of odd marques
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 12:41 AM

I'm afraid that's us Gubi, as far as a lot of people think, right now.

It's all a matter of relativity.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 01:30 PM

Garage
I think it is important to note that I get at least 50k worth of excitement from my $8200.00 investment in my GTV6. The car is unreplaceable from a pure driving experience for less than 30k IMO."That" is the magic of owning one of these splendid cars. It is perhaps, the best kept secret in the auto world., I never knew how much I would like driving the car as it was the design that attracted me first and foremost.Let's face it, there isn't anyone here that would trade a GTV6 for a pre-war ford or chevy (I think) The potential collectors of these cars are in their prime and have $$$ to spend.It will happen and as the design and driving experience of these underappreciated cars gets noticed....well until then, drive on!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 03:19 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
I'm afraid that's us Gubi, as far as a lot of people think, right now.

It's all a matter of relativity.
Exactly my point. We're the weirdos. And look at how cheap most of the Alfa #$!#$s on this board are. You think they're the types to spend a mint on these cars when all the key parts go NLA?

Drive 'em and enjoy 'em, but ain't nobody gonna get rich collecting the transaxle cars.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 03:47 PM

I tend to go the opposite way with my Alfas. A couple of years ago I bought TWO 164S's for next to nothing. The 3 liter is a dream to run through the gears and thy164 is just as much fun as my GTV6 was, it even has a real back seat!

Paul - 1972 Spider - (2)1991 164S's - 1983 308 - 2001 Discovery - 1997 F350
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 04:58 PM

Garage
ALFA 116 (Alfetta)

The Alfetta, GTV6 & Milano are the quintessential ALFAS.

79 Alfetta - Sprint Veloce - Bronze
79 Alfetta - Sport Sedan - White
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 05:26 PM

I purchased my 1988 Milano Verde new in December, 1988 and purchased a 1987 Milano Silver with 33K miles many years ago. I do not think that the Milanos will lose value in the future because no one wants to repair these cars with few available parts. I do not think that anyone will sell replacement computers for these cars and how can you drive them without these computers. I have driven Alfas continuously since 1968 and tell everyone that you purchase a car for your enjoyment and not for investment. I recently completely restored my 1961 Sprint Veloce and it could be looked as an investment, but will it go up in value in the next ten years or not. I think that it depends upon car collectors whether the value increases or not. I really think that the value will probably go down because Alfa owners will be too old to drive these cars.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni123456 View Post
I purchased my 1988 Milano Verde new in December, 1988 and purchased a 1987 Milano Silver with 33K miles many years ago. I do not think that the Milanos will lose value in the future because no one wants to repair these cars with few available parts. I do not think that anyone will sell replacement computers for these cars and how can you drive them without these computers. I have driven Alfas continuously since 1968 and tell everyone that you purchase a car for your enjoyment and not for investment. I recently completely restored my 1961 Sprint Veloce and it could be looked as an investment, but will it go up in value in the next ten years or not. I think that it depends upon car collectors whether the value increases or not. I really think that the value will probably go down because Alfa owners will be too old to drive these cars.
I agree with Kuni...The problem with any ferreign car priced under $5000 today isn't the entry fee but the PITA upkeep costs and parts search. Alfetta parts are unique and getting scarce..who would have thought that possible. I steered away from some because of that. The market is strewn with cars like this from France, GB, and Germany..that end up as barn-finds. 164's? great until they need service...especially electrical. As for cars for pleasure and not an investment, I prefer it both ways and it works for me. I've owned cars for too long to remember them all and never paid for as much as an oil change. Betting on Alfettas is a might bit of a long shot,IMO.. That's why I'll never own a boat.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 09-28-2015 at 04:36 AM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 04:09 PM

keep them cheap. More for me! I don't know where people look for alfa's but you can still find a bunch of cheap gtv6, alfetta gt's and milanos on the west coast. No so much for alfetta sedan's. I have three alfetta sedans, two running, one for parts all for under $5000 for all three!! I'm cornering the market.
I had no problem finding all three, and if I looked hard enough, I know I can find more on the cheap.
As investment in alfa transaxles, no way, don't do it, don't think it, its just not gonna happen in the next ten years. After ten years, 2025, most current vintage alfa enthusiasts will be in an old folks home and cant shift a manual transmission, and their kids will sell the car cheap, since that's what made mom divorce dad in the first place.
Just saying.

'76 Alfetta GT, 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth, '78 sports sedan (2 of them) - sold, '91 164L - sold, '83 GTV6 -sold, '87 Milano Verde - sold, '91 spider -sold, '69 MGB GT,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode