Lots of Pics: Rosa the GTV6 and my 1st day on the track in Upstate NY - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By 76Satisfaction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Lots of Pics: Rosa the GTV6 and my 1st day on the track in Upstate NY

I took Rosa and myself out for my first ever Track Day at The New York Safety Track, in Harpersfield NY last Saturday: It's 2.1 miles, has 18 turns and 450ft of elevation change - an incredibly intense road track.

Rosa has seen a lot of track time in her life prior to my ownership, and she loved this day of hard driving as much as I did. With super friendly, yet totally organized event organizers (NECC Motorsports!). $299 for a full day of driving, time trials, and camaraderie with the other drivers.

The whole day was such a rush of fast-coming information to absorb while keeping the adrenaline in check. Each session took a lap or two to find the groove. First in the morning, we delayed a bit for the track to dry enough, then started at 9am. We finished exhausted at 5pm. Rosa and I got just around 3hours total time on the track and loved every fresh crazy second of it.

PS - The Lotus/Mercedes Clubs of Syracuse are hosting a track day at Watkins Glen July 1st for $285 all day. I can't make that one, but anyone else?

On to the pics:
05:40am - The day started with steady rain, but forecast was to clear.

07:00am - The cool, wet morning is quickly forgotten when you meet up with good friends, like Dave and his track-prepped Maserati BiTurbo.. in which he took 2nd overall in the time trials, ahead of a Lotus Exige.. !

My college buddy Doug unloads his MG Midget 1500.

Jason's 2016 Mercedes AMG GTS and Rosa undergoing tech inspection:

08:30am - Things are slowly drying out and we all had faith in the forecast.

09:00 am - Jason just back from the Group A session, thumbs up. The background '88 Porsche 944S Turbo with a veteran driver beat me by 2 seconds in the time trials. I feel pretty good about that.

My first turn on the track - leading a bunch of track-prepped Corvairs in Group B.

Sun came out the rest of the day. Grip got better, Rosa and I got faster but never "departed" the track.

After lunch we got the track instructors to take us around the whole track slowly and methodically discussing the best lines, braking points, apexes. 18 turns is a lot to commit to memory, but everyone who went for the ride felt we improved.

Just a whole lot of fun on a beautiful day, and Rosa never flinched, never balked, never complained, never broke.

Driver's meeting before the Time Trials.

Plenty of eye candy..

Jason enjoyed the ride I took him on in Rosa.

Rosa is so very well sorted, stable, balanced, predictable, heel-n-toe-able, excellent brakes and grip. She and her Dunlops let me know before I exceeded her limits - what a pure joy to drive, with just the right amount of fright.

Next time, I think I'll relax a little more.
- Art
alfaloco and Maypo3 like this.

2007 Aston DB9, 1994 Alfa 164 LS, 1982 Alfa GTV6 Balocco SE, 1975 Maserati Bora, 1967 Plymouth Satellite convertible, 1965 Plymouth Satellite hardtop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 10:55 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Looks like great fun! Thanks for the write-up & pictures.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 03:33 PM

Garage
Awesome report... Sounds like you had a blast!

Thanks,

Rob from New Hampshire. (Robnh)

Current line up: 76 Alfetta Sedan Euro 1.8L, 88 Milano Verde, 88 Milano Platinum Auto, 1992 164L Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, thank you, and glad you like it -

Hard to find all the right words. There's only one "first time" and it was exhilarating, made me proud, a little more confident but humble at the same time. And so much was going on in my head while I was there, even though I had 8 hours of exposure, that I'm realizing, now afterwards, how I could have easily improved my driving performance even more. By just relaxing a little. Driving more deliberately, paying more attention to learning and keeping the best line, striving for consistency.

But, still - it was a complete and total blast. Highly recommended, especially with our Alfas, there's no excuse! They belong on a track, just do it!
- Art

2007 Aston DB9, 1994 Alfa 164 LS, 1982 Alfa GTV6 Balocco SE, 1975 Maserati Bora, 1967 Plymouth Satellite convertible, 1965 Plymouth Satellite hardtop
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 06:27 AM

Very cool. Nice variety of cars too.

N
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 12:00 PM

Garage
Thank you for sharing, I see some video hardware strapped to Rosa! I hope you post it and share the link.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz107 View Post
Thank you for sharing, I see some video hardware strapped to Rosa! I hope you post it and share the link.
LOL - terrible audio, but yes indeed - I got over an hour of footage going round and round and round and round.. so I'll edit it with a soundtrack and pick some Good & Bad laps before I upload and share...
Cheers!
- Art

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 07:15 AM

Yeah, sound tends to be lots of wind. I guess some foam over the mic would help. Then again, not sure how that works at speed.

N
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyDeeNM View Post
Yeah, sound tends to be lots of wind. I guess some foam over the mic would help. Then again, not sure how that works at speed.

N
What's really needed is a camera with a port for an external audio mic that cuts out the integral camera mic.
Until then I'm stuck with the front-facing mic that's integral to the SONY compact camera I'm using, which I covered with a carefully adhered bit of foam.
It helps, but only up to about 25mph…. and front facing mic means it isn't prone to picking up the exhaust note right from the get go.

Cheers,
- Art

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Satisfaction View Post
Yeah, thank you, and glad you like it -

Hard to find all the right words. There's only one "first time" and it was exhilarating, made me proud, a little more confident but humble at the same time. And so much was going on in my head while I was there, even though I had 8 hours of exposure, that I'm realizing, now afterwards, how I could have easily improved my driving performance even more. By just relaxing a little. Driving more deliberately, paying more attention to learning and keeping the best line, striving for consistency.

But, still - it was a complete and total blast. Highly recommended, especially with our Alfas, there's no excuse! They belong on a track, just do it!
- Art
Nice summary. As you've already learned, nothing beats seat time.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Starting to plan winter maintenance in preparation for next year's track days. Here is the video taken on that day by Jason, we traded rides and gave each other running commentary on brake points, apexes, etc as we drove.
Cheers!
- Art

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode