Alfa GTV6/ Alfetta GT restoration story from Pakistan - Page 8 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 215 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 09:50 AM

On the Fiat the radiator cap is not at the top of the cooling system. Jack the front of car up very high and then open the bleeder on the cooling tee at the front of the cylinder head. That should do it.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 215 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

photo upload difficulty and fiat Spider CS1

there is a bit of a problem with my phone... it had an automatic upgrade and ever since that time has basically slowed down and crashes ever so often. Built in obsolescence. First it used to be rust in cars and now its software..... this is why I like classic cars... at least the rust can be cut out treated and in so many ways corrected. When these electronic things all go to the scrap heap never to be even recycled I hope that we and our coming generations continue to enjoy the sound of twin cams weber growls and exhaust burbles.......
thats for my rant

sorry for not being able to post up pics.. part of the reason was lack of access. Shall put them up one by one... and if I have the pics the ones that I HAD to sell either to fund new projects or to fulfil friends request

The latest on the roadis of course is the Fiat Spider CS1. There are only two in Pakistan. This has a 1800 twin cam with twin weber 44s. It came without an engine but with a gearbox but I had obtained an engine with two boxes for a 124BC project ( since abandoned.....maybe) and I used that. Took webers off my old 124 BC the pics of whci I shall also put up... and presto all growls and go.

A few bits are coming from Ramzi at autoricambi to solve an overheating problem thats come out of the blue....probably an airlock that I havent been able to settle.
Attached Images

post #108 of 215 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

my cars... Porsche 912 swb

The second car I have is a Porcshe 912.
There are only two pre 1970 911/912 series in the country... juts this 912 and a 911. There are 5 air cooled 911s and just one of these is a targa.

This is an outlaw.. with a 1600 VW Type 1 engine.. with two EMPI carbs . The car was a ground up restoration. Totally rotten floors and sills and took a lot of doing...

It has a completely new suspension with Konis, Deep 6 wheels, leather interior.... but has lack of power... the next plan is to put in a modified type 4 engine or a 911 engine. The issue with 911 engines is that I have found a few on craigslist in the UK where I have the easiest access but most of these seem to want a direct money transfer without giving personal details .. while I would like a direct handover of cash after inspection. I will come to that once the GTV6 and GT are finished.

Pics of the car when it started and after its finish
Attached Images

alfaloco and martym00se72 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of 215 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

The Mini VTEC

This is a Mini 1963. The story behind it is interesting. The junior doctor assisting me at surgery mentioned that he had a mini that had been stripped for restoration but the mechanics had lost everything so it was just a shell.
So all I got was a shell with nothing even aft of the A pillars..

So I decided to go the VTEC route with a D15 SOHC Honda motor and lengthening of the front by 1.5 inches... this was done by taking a pattern mould off the front of my original Mini cooper 1969 since sold to a friend.

This goes like the proverbial **** off a shovel. The interior has Recaros taht came off my old Lancer evolution ... the wife wouldnt sit in that car as the seats were uncomfortable for her...she is slim but like to be able to shift in her seat... cant do that in slim recaros.
Attached Images

Cobralfa and alfaloco like this.
post #110 of 215 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

The Celica 1975

This is a TA22 Toyota Celica. Got in on rebound after selling my Alfa 1750 GTV Series 1 to a friend again. Thought I would go the ricer way.
Had a 3sge engine that I had obtained for my Fiat 124 BC project as I could not foind a Fiat twin cam.... got the 3sge ( motor from a Toyota Altezza .. Lexus is200 to most people with an auto box)

The car has is having a proper 6 speed transmission being put in... the auto box seems to want signals from the ABS unit computer .. and it drives sometimes sublimely and other times like a recalcitrant mule.

But air conditioned and on its day.......................wow
Attached Images

post #111 of 215 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

The Ford Cortina

This Ford Cortina has an interesting story... at least to me.....
A retired Brigadier General had two Ford Cortinas one for himself and one for his wife, He died thirty years ago and she sold her own but kept his in reasonable working order until she was too weak to drive dying at the ripe old age of 85. Her 92 year old brother came in form Canada top dispose off the estate and this was being sent to the Scrappers.

The car was complete down to the hub caps but with the ubiquitous Toyota Corolla KE series engine transplanted in the distant past. I got a phone call from a friend in Rawalpindi.... our Aldershot???... the army saying that this car needed to saved from being smelted.

The engine was shot and non genuine so I decided to at least put in lookalike of the Lotus twin cam. As luck has it with me... I had a Mazda MX5 Miata 1600 twin cam lying around. Put in a power rack while I was at it. Needed a bit of surgery with the firewall but man this car is a hoot... great handling on the mountain roads and maintains 140-150 km steady on the motorway for hours. But eventually if I can do it will get a Lotus / Ford twin cam or BDA or even a Zetec for it. Fords should be Fords.

I learnt driving on a Ford Consul Classic 315
Attached Images

post #112 of 215 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

The Caterham Replicas

An idle mind is the devils workshop..... I probably have an overactive mental one.... while searching Amazon for some Haynes manuals came across ... "How to make your own Sports car.... well the seed was planted and the result in not one but two CAterham Locost replicas ... one with a 4AGE 20 twin cam... the reliable black silver one and the other one with an 1800 twin cam form a Miata again.....interestingly the engine came without a gearbox but I found out that the Mazda B2000 petrol pickup had the same box.. hey presto,,,,, but havent been able to sort out the issues with the ECU which doesnt appear to want to work properly with the engine....some faulty sensor....but wild... both of them... spaceframe chassis and what handling.

The blue one for my son in law but daughter and her mother in law wanted it gone so it came back to base.....
Attached Images

alfaloco likes this.
post #113 of 215 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

The ones that got away..last yearish. the Alfa and the 911 targa

Got in too deep with the projects and needed to soothe fraying nerves at home... so when friends held guns to my head had to let go....at least temporarily.

My old 1969 GTV1750 series 1....
and the 911 Targa... both unique and the only ones in the country. Now with a close friend
Attached Images

post #114 of 215 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamhus View Post
The second car I have is a Porcshe 912.
There are only two pre 1970 911/912 series in the country... juts this 912 and a 911. There are 5 air cooled 911s and just one of these is a targa.

This is an outlaw.. with a 1600 VW Type 1 engine.. with two EMPI carbs . The car was a ground up restoration. Totally rotten floors and sills and took a lot of doing...

It has a completely new suspension with Konis, Deep 6 wheels, leather interior.... but has lack of power... the next plan is to put in a modified type 4 engine or a 911 engine. The issue with 911 engines is that I have found a few on craigslist in the UK where I have the easiest access but most of these seem to want a direct money transfer without giving personal details .. while I would like a direct handover of cash after inspection. I will come to that once the GTV6 and GT are finished.

Pics of the car when it started and after its finish
Not a porsche forum but was having a talk about putting the 911 engine into the 912 engine bay... Apparently it's not as straightforward as one would imagine. You may be better off with a replacement 912 engine not for the sake of originality but to avoid cutting and hammering... You loose the sound of the flat six but you keep the balance of the 4 pot... And with the right mods may be even some extra juice in a lighter package.

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk
post #115 of 215 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 06:02 AM

Nice color on the GTV6. And it's a rare right hand drive. Looks like you have a painter who really cares about his work.
post #116 of 215 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:31 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to martym00se72
Thanks for sharing Kamhus! If you will excuse me, I will now go and wipe the drool from my keyboard...
76Satisfaction likes this.

'83 GTV6 - 164 12v 3.0 in!
'99 156 Twin spark - for track time fun! And ferrying the kids around in...
post #117 of 215 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 04:34 AM

This is such an amazing story! Just read every post and I'm hooked. Looking forward to reading more!
post #118 of 215 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

urgency......

The workshop is shifting in a few days and therefore the fitting has to be carried out urgently. The problem is that there are many items missing plus we have to compress the fitting which normally takes a few weeks into 5 days.

The first thing that is being done is the fitting of the exhaust.. Its a CSC system with an ANSA back end. The car can now be started and the Air con checked out as well.

The interior has also been started with heat proofing as the car is meant to be driven in all weathers. I have decided to go for lighter coloured leather... tan or cream oin the original non sports seats. will get the Recaros kitted out in leather as well so that I can put them on as the mood may take me. On the other hand the Recaros could well go into the Alfa Stepnose.

More pics later
post #119 of 215 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

exhaust pics

soem CSC pics
Attached Images

Savali 3.1 and ZaXxon like this.
post #120 of 215 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Come together ... right now

Its coming together now slowly but surely. The paint really changes. in the light its one thing and in the shade its really darker. As Alfa shades should be
Attached Images

alfaloco and sbadaro like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode