Alfa GTV6/ Alfetta GT restoration story from Pakistan - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

the cost to me after complete restoration will be in the order of 35000 US dollars. The car is registered in my name. NO raod worthiness or MOT test.. every car in PAkistan would fail it if we had one....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

and yes ownership can change for non runners also
post #48 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamhus View Post
the cost to me after complete restoration will be in the order of 35000 US dollars. The car is registered in my name. NO raod worthiness or MOT test.. every car in PAkistan would fail it if we had one....
Lucky you... here in jordan we can't exchange title without valid registration / road inspection... some real gems are left to rot since no one is willing to spend the money on restoration when title is still legally with previous owner.
That said, $35k is sensible budget to complete the project... you may even get lucky considering low labor cost... but, if I may, what was the 'out of pocket' purchase price for the non-running project car as is???
I am trying to gauge offering price for a similar project down here... not really similar... much much worse really... but a stepnose gtv none the less

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Cost of the cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbadaro View Post
Lucky you... here in jordan we can't exchange title without valid registration / road inspection... some real gems are left to rot since no one is willing to spend the money on restoration when title is still legally with previous owner.
That said, $35k is sensible budget to complete the project... you may even get lucky considering low labor cost... but, if I may, what was the 'out of pocket' purchase price for the non-running project car as is???
I am trying to gauge offering price for a similar project down here... not really similar... much much worse really... but a stepnose gtv none the less

the Alfetta gtv cost 5500 US dollars and the step nose 4000 US dollars. Basically these are rusted chassis with a few panels and fewer glass. No original engines but
the chassis number stamped on the bulkhead. This makes the cars legal canvas in which a painting can be made.....the rest is parts labour costs....mixture of new and old parts. As an example painting is 2000 dollars but the metalwork is expensive and the key to restoration. A leather interior will cost from 1000 to 2000 dollars
wutdhec likes this.
post #50 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:55 AM

Best of luck with your project (ssssssss)... Much much more than what I would pay for the basket case down here... as much as I love it. I am also surprised to see that your labor costs just as much as it does elsewhere... I guess the good old days when these babies were just "old cars" begging to be handed over are long gone...
Anyway... we had (still do actually) a similar moratorium on the import of cars older than 5 year from manufacturing, but early in 2016, we managed to obtain an exclusion for "classic cars" (subject to a list produced by the local museum). This is what I got (both).
Attached Images

alfaloco likes this.
post #51 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

restoration costs

the labour costs are much lower than most places actually. Its only the workshop that I use... its more expensive but I dont have to mess around too much. Supervision is not required that much. The main costs are parts and the customs duties and the roundabout ways we have to get parts.. smuggling, friends carrying parts in after visiting abroad ( the wives screaming) ... it all adds up.

Anyhow the engine bay is being done up primered ... will put up celica fenders painted and doors to show you quality of paint
Attached Images

scootergeek likes this.
post #52 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

initial cost of cars and the paint quality... on celica

the initial costs of the cars is probably not that important not too much difference between 2000 dollars and 4000 dollars. Imagine restoration cots at about 25000 dollars... this is just 10 percent of the total cost.
the cars are rare as hens teeth.... there are only two alfetta GTVs in the country and two stepnoses.. two porsche 912s..five classic 911s.. what do folk like us do???? and there are millions and millions of hondas and toyotas and nissans and even Ssang yongs and now FAWS

Also I am surprised that you cannot have a legal agreement with the initial owner that the car will be automatically transferred to you once it is road worthy or restored... Jordan is a bit like Pakistan. Once I have the possession of a car and a letter form a previous owner that he has mortgaged a vehicle to me...etc .. as we say his or her ancestors would not be able to pry it from me.
Attached Images

Savali 3.1 likes this.
post #53 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

paint quality

the door paint quality did not come out well in the prervious post..alos another gratuitous picture of the transaxle
Attached Images

scootergeek, ZaXxon and CathalICCI like this.
post #54 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

the engine bay again

engine pay pic form the front
Attached Images

post #55 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:14 PM

That is craftsmanship... what rustproofibg you're going with??? The crappy shop that did my spider didn't even know what POR15 or waxoil was, so I just sprayed two cans of zinc oxide before painting... been holding up ok so far...

post #56 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbadaro View Post
That is craftsmanship... what rustproofibg you're going with??? The crappy shop that did my spider didn't even know what POR15 or waxoil was, so I just sprayed two cans of zinc oxide before painting... been holding up ok so far...

post #57 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

engine bay and wheelarches

Rosso alfa 501 is being applied to the wheelarches and the engine bay...
Attached Images

post #58 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

the front suspension fitting continues

the front suspension and steering is being fitted now...I may have mentioned earlier that the engine mounts went missing so new mounts have been ordered so some delay... also the anti rust has been ordered form Karachi from the supplier... so many cars being done in one workshop that the supplies finished.

By the way they use Dinitrol products here. No Waxoyl available although ICI had a major presence until taken over by AkzoNobel.

The Bilsteins look nice...interesting they have tested on the Nurburgring stickers on them
Attached Images

scootergeek likes this.
post #59 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

and one more....

this is my daughters father in laws mercedes 450sel 6.9 going through the same process. One of only two in the country

The sills being replaced on my rusted Porsche 912... one side has been done....floor pan first, with inner sills if necessary and then the rotten outer sills. The heater duct runs rear aft in the sills of course
Attached Images

post #60 of 215 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

not strictly alfa but paint quality...

the cleica is now ready for fitting and wiring and the rest
Attached Images

scootergeek likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode