Alfa GTV6/ Alfetta GT restoration story from Pakistan - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 215 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

I am sorry for the poor quality of the pics... will try and do better tomorrow. Poor quality cellphone pics....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 215 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

the other two projects in line.

The Celica is more advanced being at the paint stage and the Porsche 912 Outlaw should be after the Alfa GTV6 but may well be finished earlier as the body is mostly fine.
Attached Images

post #18 of 215 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 04:46 PM
Gold Subscriber

Wow! Great job so far! You asked about the wiring harness. Yes 3.0 engine connects directly to 2.5 harness. I do not recall having to make any modifications to the engine connections or at the ecu connection ( for model years gtv6 1984-86).

The biggest difference is that you need the orange label 3.0l bosch ecu 0280001134, hopefully it has not been modified internally by anyone. Stock unit works great. Also, Air mass sensor: 0280202108. Injectors are the same for all 2.5-3.0 engines 0280150105.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 215 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Gold Subscriber

Get you hands on one of the owner manuals (1983 or 1984?) because they have the wiring diagrams. VERY helpful. Or maybe someone here has an electronic copy.....
post #20 of 215 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:29 PM

Garage
Kamhus... you are a very brave man! Best of luck and keep on keeping on, sir.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #21 of 215 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

some more pics of the progress

I hope I don't bore people with the story and pics. As you can see the roof is being replaced with the B pillar welded in ..there is view form the inside with the reinforced B Pillar.....the roof of the silver Alfetta GT was completely rusted away and replaced with the roof from the GTV6. The area below the A pillars was also rusted and holed.... something that would consign a car to the crusher in most places but when its the only Alfetta series car in the country .... being replaced with fresh metal on both sides.

The Cubans and how they keep the cars going is a worldwide press story... I think people need to come to Pakiland.
Attached Images

scootergeek likes this.
post #22 of 215 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

more pics of the metalwork

doing the documentation... one cannot appreciate the final product unless the beginning and the journey has been documented.

and a gratuitous picture of the ta22 celica...and one another horror story project waiting in the wings a 124 sport coupe...rusted through and through..............just when you thought this ALFA was bad
Attached Images

post #23 of 215 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

engine issue 3.0 litre mechanical belt tensioner

Hving a slight problem. The mech who has put together the 3.0 litre and changed the hydraulic tensioner to a mechanical tensioner says that the spring appears too weak and the timing does not hold if the engine is turned backwards. I cant for the life of me think why the engine would rotate backwards but... can anyone help????
post #24 of 215 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 07:05 AM

According to Alfa philosophy and procedures the engine should never be turned backwards!! When you do that the tensioner slackens and there is danger of contact valve/pistons, not necessarily but best to avoid! If you have a new mechanical tensioner I think you can rely its safe to use, but never turn this engine backwards, whatever tensioner!

If you wonder if the tensioner is tight enough when turning the engine the right way, there is a thumb rule that you can turn the longest passage of the belt max 90 degrees. then its OK. Not more!

G.

Last edited by Gabor K.; 08-10-2016 at 07:10 AM.
post #25 of 215 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

the engine has been done

the engine has been done. New rings, main big ends, seals belts the lot. The mechanical tensioner was removed and the previous tensioner with the oil blocked off and constant tension was put on again. New water pump. eventually will have Evans waterless coolant.

and a pic of my old 1750 visiting the workshop for some gearbox work
Attached Images

post #26 of 215 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

and the bodywork on the right ( drivers side for rhd)

as i have mentioned before it is more of a resurrection than a restoration
Attached Images

scootergeek likes this.
post #27 of 215 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 11:17 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Skilled!
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 215 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Yes Pete... these guys are skilled. The workshop was set up by three friends who were fed up of being ripped off on their cars by the local Mercedes and BMW main dealers. They are IT professionals etc... the business has since morphed into classic car restoration. and modification as a major part..as you can see Merc SLCs R107s and W116s in the background as well as Ikon type Toyota FJ40 modified vehicles....with Lexus v8 drivetrains etc. On any one day one can see Alfas, BMW 2002s, Pagoda Mercs, Fintails , Jaguar E types and MGB Gts/ Midgets and Chevy Belairs/ Porsches, Citroen Traction Avants, Fiat 500s amongst the latest Hybrid S400s and 7 series there.
CathalICCI likes this.
post #29 of 215 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

they pay the workers double and take care of their health care needs ... insurance etc...
the skilled workers dont leave because of both incentives.
CathalICCI likes this.
post #30 of 215 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

more progress....and the appearance of the stepnose

the car progresses... the left hand side sill is being done and the right hand drivers side has been done.the sills replaced both sides. all rust is going to go.. slowly but surely.....

and I am sorry so sorry... but not sorry at all. seeing the 1750GTV set me off. Severe withdrawal and suddenly a stepnose... "the stepnose" reappeared after a hiatus of 8 years. I made an offer for this... the only one of two surviving stepnoses in the country 8 years ago. The owner said that he would restore it himself. Well heres the product of his restoration. The car is solid though. All it needs is a twin spark and a gearbox and all the bits including the interior . well Alfaholics/ Classicalfa Centerline and OKP are going to have a field day on me I think. I took the first flight out to Karachi when I heard he was selling and had it shipped here a week later. The wife and the daughters are up in arms. The sons in law love it...........
Attached Images

scootergeek likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode