Alfa GTV6/ Alfetta GT restoration story from Pakistan - Page 11 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 215 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

the interior coming together

the interior fitting being done. its down to hope now. i wonder though whether the recaros would be better but leather of this color seems to have disappeared and so they would have to be black or cloth.
Attached Images

alfaloco and horsewidower like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 215 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 06:56 AM
Gold Subscriber

Nice!
post #153 of 215 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 08:21 AM

You guys are master craftsmen, especially location and access to parts and similar. My favorite BB thread by far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Problems with the engine running... need advice

Just to bring everyone up to speed.

3.0 litre from a 75. This was in a fire with the plastics and wiring gone. All the 2.5 litre stuff... including wiring and the ecu / injectors were transferred over. Have both the ecus UK/ Euro and the engine has been checked and redone with the head off and new gaskets and pumps etc..... water and oil....the water passages were checked and new sleeves and rings . Bosch fuel pump as used in the various period Mercs like the 126s

Head work did not need to be done as the valves etc were fine...had been redone on the engine before I got it.

Now for the problems. The static timing was set was out as it did not start and then reset andit started but..........
the car starts but there is black smoke and is throwing out furl like there was no tomorrow. The injectors fire but it misfires occasionally but is so rich that it probably is doing 1.5 mpg ... thats why it misfires as well looks like as there is so much fuel in the system.

Read up on the injection manuals but none seem to describe how to sort these problems. Need help with these urgently please
post #155 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

it sees daylight although fuel injection still not working

The car isn't taking any air from the afm/ or very little air from the intake. So it doesn't start unless the hose from the AAV is disconnected and air rushes in and it starts. when the aav hose is connected... no start. when the AFM is disconnected no start. when it starts it smokes like no tomorrow.... rich mixture black smoke.. So what could it be.???? In any case the car was rolled out and it is at least in the waning sunlight and taking air. Some pics
Attached Images

post #156 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:10 AM

Post some clear pics of the engine bay so we can see how everything is hooked up. If you have any spare AFMs and AAVs, try swapping those in. Double check your connectors and vacuum hoses are correct.
post #157 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:13 AM

Garage
The Bosh L-jet cars will run, but horribly, if the AFM is disconnected. Can't remember if it is terribly rich or not. Wonder if the issue lies there? Rag in the intake? Done that before!

84 Spider - Long gone, but started the addiction; 85 GTV6 - Current project, Supercharged, Mega Squirt; 88 Verde - "Milo" It has a name, must be a keeper
post #158 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

will need to go to the shop for proper photos... will post up soon

have tried the ECU swap... the original 2.5 litre for the 3.0 litre both times the same issue. Am having the AFM checked for the outputs but will need to have another one just in case as well as an AAV and a Thermotime switch and a fuel pressure regulator I suppose. sorry for the profanity but inspite of all progress its bloody two steps forward and one step back....paypal isnt accepted from Pakistan... ebay become difficult. We have to get friends to buy off ebay and then post for us. This inspite of cashless payments, electronic transfers and modern tech of all types

Hope its just a vaccum line not in position.

Posting up soon.......................
post #159 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

picture of engine bay...UK spec GTV6

Hi the pic of the engine bay ... hope you can find the issue. slightly different form the US model I think...

Have checked the auxiliary air valve ... its open but gives no signal...is it supposed to give out any? The AFM doesn't open but the fuel pump clicks when its open
Attached Images

post #160 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:44 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Yes it is most likely a dud sensor that is telling the computer to supply too much fuel.

I find these sorts of things very frustrating, even though I'm in IT. I have to take a few steps back and hit the computer or manual and find out the purpose of all sensors and get an understanding how the system works. Once my "brain" is up skilled it starts to make sense and is no more complex than an old fashioned carburetted and points engine. But if I don't do that research I end up guessing, and looking for quick fixes that end up taking considerably long, and getting annoyed with the car.

Best of luck ... one step at a time, you will find the solution
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #161 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 05:26 PM

>Have checked the auxiliary air valve ... its open but gives no signal...is it supposed to give out any?

No the AAV does not give out any signal. It has a heating element in it, when the engine starts 12V is supplied to the terminals so that it closes quicker than by engine heat alone. It acts like a choke.

I'd hazard a guess that it is the AFM or the Throttle Position Sensor is causing the issue. Then again it could be stuck injector(s) constantly spraying fuel or some other faulty sensor(!).

TTS - makes the cold start injector squirt when the engine starts - could cause rich running.
AFM - meters the air - if it is faulty the ECU may be getting the wrong signal and sensing too much air.
TPS - senses the throttle position - if the microswitch is faulty it could think it is WOT which would inject the maximum amount of fuel.

Of course that list is not exhaustive and there are plenty of other things to look at.

Since your engine runs extremely rich and introducing unmetered air seems to get it going I'd focus on the AFM first and ensure it is working properly.
post #162 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 07:32 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
See my signature to a page of info about the L-jetronic system in the GTV6.

A couple of questions about the photo you posted. And a photo of the engine bay of our 1981 GTV6. Note that I put in a manual AAV.
Attached Images

sbadaro likes this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #163 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 05:14 AM

We need to see CLEAR pictures. For instance, a picture where a person isn't blocking the key components of the engine. Also try to make sure the picture isn't blurry. Finally, shining a light into the engine bay, on the components of the engine so that we can see them is also a good idea.

Where is the breather that is supposed to be on the valve cover?
post #164 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

yes of course. did some research on my own. Checked the vaccum ... the one to the distributor appears to be slightly too narrow The grounds.. especially the one at the front form the drivers side head to the body was missing as well as the ground between the plenum chamber and the valve cover. Have asked for that to be put on and then will check back with you guys. Alos with better pics.
post #165 of 215 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 06:41 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalfa View Post
>Have checked the auxiliary air valve ... its open but gives no signal...is it supposed to give out any?

TPS - senses the throttle position - if the microswitch is faulty it could think it is WOT which would inject the maximum amount of fuel.

Of course that list is not exhaustive and there are plenty of other things to look at.
This is not correct---the WOT switch of the throttle switch simply tells the ECU to ignore the O2 sensor signal and enter "open-loop" mode. Otherwise it just reads from the base map in the ECU, which will be slightly rich at higher engine load, but not pig-rich.

I would start by checking fuel pressure---a pinched return line or hose could cause this no matter which sensors are or aren't working.

Chris A: '81 GTV6 rescued from junkyard, "GT" car/'86 Porsche 944 Turbo track/street car/'73 BMW 2002tii fun street car/'74 Jensen Healey Lemons Rally car!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode