Restoring Alfetta Sedans? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Restoring Alfetta Sedans?

I am just curious - is anyone out there restoring an Alfetta Sedan besides me? As anyone who has driven one knows, they are an exceptionally cool car. I purchased a first Series '75 off of eBay and am well into the bodywork portion. I love the first "Small Body" version because of its forward leaning front end and cool instrument panel. There is another thread going on right now comparing GTVs to BMW 2002s but I think the Alfetta is perhaps a better alternative to the BMW. It's got sort of a baby 5 Series thing happening and the price is laughably low. If you have one, restore it!

Bob 1960 Giulietta Spider, 1975 Alfetta Sedan, 1984 GTV/6, 1982 Spider, 1990 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V, 1988.5 Ferrari 328 GTS, 1962 Ferrari 250 GTE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 07:46 PM

Alfetta Sedan

Hi Bob,
The orphan of all sedans........I have a '76 that I have to do some body work on, and need a rear wheel arch....have yet to find it.
Good luck with yours, and keep in contact.
Regards Ian.
post #3 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 07:58 PM

I got this one a bit over a year ago from the Kirzingers. It needed a bit of mechanical work but I drove it home after about three or four hours of screwing with it and throwing a set of tires on it. It had been sitting for a number of years in one of the barns. I'm slowly getting all the bugs out of it. It is an almost daily driver in good weather. These are the most under rated Alfa out there.
Paul
I did have to switch the awful/boring dash out with a Sprint Veloce dash.
The body and underneath are free of rust except a small spot near the windshield and the rear glass. The paint is origional 78 paint excluding one of the fenders. Oh there is also a small spot you can see in the engine compartment. Its my favorite Alfa to date.

The meek shall inherit the rear view mirror.

Alfas owned/own!
81 GTV-6
83 GTV-6
86 GTV-6
87 Milano Gold
88 Milano Verde
91 164S
77 Alfetta sedan
79 Alfetta GTV(smooshed and ground up)

Last edited by gt601; 06-01-2007 at 03:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 08:10 PM

I have lowered it a bit in the front, added a giant valve/ported and polished(Sperry??) head with nice cams. Big sway bar in front. And switched the wheels it came with to Panasports. The front spoiler is from a GTV-6 that I cut about six inches out of the center.The bumpers are from the Alfetta doner seen through the windshield.
Paul
Some before and after pics Unlowered and lowered. The stainless bumpers probably too a good 95-100 lbs off the car.they are ungodly heavy.

Alfas owned/own!
81 GTV-6
83 GTV-6
86 GTV-6
87 Milano Gold
88 Milano Verde
91 164S
77 Alfetta sedan

post #5 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Paul
Interesting instrument panel substitution! I guess I would not have figured the planview curvature of the coupe and sedan to be the same at the base of the windshield. I always felt that the coupe panel was just quirky but, somehow in the sedan context it is really cool. I happen to like the original panal but perhaps that is only in comparison to the later Sports Sedan one which is usually brown, has unsightly gaps and reeks of the 1970s. My dad has a '76 coupe parts car so maybe I'll consider swapping that in.

As far as planned mods go, I have some Shankle suspension bits that I'll throw on and I just purchased an old wood Momo Montecarlo steering wheel for it. I also plan to slam it and put some modern 17" rims (preferable TSWs) in a resto-mod fashion. I found an NOS Euro front stainless bumper on eBay Italy which should take some weight out of it.

Bob 1960 Giulietta Spider, 1975 Alfetta Sedan, 1984 GTV/6, 1982 Spider, 1990 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V, 1988.5 Ferrari 328 GTS, 1962 Ferrari 250 GTE
post #6 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 12:48 AM

gt601
the first lot (1974) had ply timber inserts in the dash with matching door trims
- very nice but hard to maintain
a year or 2 later they went to plastic inserts - very similar but with much improved dash instrumentation construction techniques
my favourite was black vynal with silver inserts

fiatosca ,try this website
http://www.geocities.com/psi_21/gallery_18stock.html

driving: a twin carb
post #7 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 08:11 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Mine doesn't need restoring

My car is a driver and still looks pretty good from the next county.
Attached Images

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 08:34 AM

It looks wonderful. All it needs is the Alfa Romeo block print on the rear trunk.I got an oe sticker for mine on ebay and might try to have it copied for a spare. I have it so that when it's painted it will have the origional on it. I wish that I could save the dealer sticker from New Mexico to keep it as it was new. Nice color of red!
Paul

Alfas owned/own!
81 GTV-6
83 GTV-6
86 GTV-6
87 Milano Gold
88 Milano Verde
91 164S
77 Alfetta sedan
post #9 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
My car is a driver and still looks pretty good from the next county.
My car is also 501 Red, that is until I stripped it of course. I am considering losing all of the US spec detail such as rear plate visor and side markers. I found a Euro rear bumper in the UK for 150 pounds plus shipping. A little pricey so close to the holidays. I have a stainless Berlina bumper which fits but doesn't look right compared to my NOS front unit.

Found this cool one on the net.
Attached Images

post #10 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 09:10 AM

I'd love to know if he has spacers on those wheels or is that the offset of them. I have a set of those , but am too lazy to mount a tire on one to see if they fit nicely. Love the front turn signals. I am looking for a set of the euro rear turn indicators for mine. I have a buddy in Australia who can hopefully find a set for me and bring them when he visits in the spring.

Alfas owned/own!
81 GTV-6
83 GTV-6
86 GTV-6
87 Milano Gold
88 Milano Verde
91 164S
77 Alfetta sedan

post #11 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 10:17 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt601 View Post
It looks wonderful. All it needs is the Alfa Romeo block print on the rear trunk.I got an oe sticker for mine on ebay and might try to have it copied for a spare. I have it so that when it's painted it will have the origional on it. I wish that I could save the dealer sticker from New Mexico to keep it as it was new. Nice color of red!
Paul
Thanks. The 76 model year has the decal, the 75 does not.

Brian __________________________________

post #12 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt601 View Post
I'd love to know if he has spacers on those wheels or is that the offset of them. I have a set of those , but am too lazy to mount a tire on one to see if they fit nicely. Love the front turn signals. I am looking for a set of the euro rear turn indicators for mine. I have a buddy in Australia who can hopefully find a set for me and bring them when he visits in the spring.
I just ordered an NOS set of front turn signals form Highwood Alfa in the UK. I'll post a pic when they arrive. I also thought of changing over to the small square side indicators as they are readily available on eBay.

As for the wheels, do you really have a set like those in the picture or do you have a set of the 14" Campys that look similar? I believe the wheels in the photo are 16" Ronals. It looks like the guy is running a sizable spacer but it looks good. Must throw the scrub radius out of whack...

post #13 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Here's a nicely restored motor compartment.
Attached Images

post #14 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 12:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to magista
I had no idea a Sprint Veloce dash would fit in the sedan. I like it. I may have to try and track down a good Sprint dash and swap 'em.

Right now my Momo steering wheel covers a portion of the speedo and tach which makes it hard to see while driving. A Sprint dash would take care of that rather nicely. Plus I like the idea of having the tach right in front of your face.

'08 Ducati Sport 1000 'El Duce'
post #15 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 06:34 PM

It's about a half an inch less wide on both sides and you have to make a spacer from some trim for the area at the window to make it flush to the fire wall. You also have to have an Alfetta GTV speedo cable and completly rewire the dash. The mounting points are different so it has to be mounted at two different points in the center. Make sure that you heve all the plugs for the instruments. The wiring colers were the same for my 77 and the 79 donor car. The speedo gear has to be changed out also. Took me about 3-4 hours to switch it out and get it working.
Paul

Bob , I have the set of Campys. I see why they fill the fender so well now.Very nice.

Alfas owned/own!
81 GTV-6
83 GTV-6
86 GTV-6
87 Milano Gold
88 Milano Verde
91 164S
77 Alfetta sedan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode