Clutch stuck after car sitting ? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Clutch stuck after car sitting ?

Hey guys

After my car sits for a couple months, sometimes the clutch won't engage at all. It's he clutch rusting to the fly wheel I suppose. The only remedy seems to be to start the car in gear and slam on the brakes once the car is moving to break things loose. It takes about 6 tries to get things to break loose. This can't be good for the car.

Any ideas of how to prevent this from happening ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 10:51 AM

They tend to do that, especially the twin plate clutches. You just need to drive it more often. At least start it and let the clutch out just to the friction point while in gear. Just try not to drive through the garage wall.

On the upside, I got my current GTV6 for pretty cheap because the seller thought he was facing an expensive clutch replacement when his stuck.

John
'84 GTV6
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Funny about your purchase deal. My problem is that I store cars at another location and I hate to start the motor if I'm not going to go for a drive. So, some times it's a couple months between drives. Any other way ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 04:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippr1999 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Funny about your purchase deal. My problem is that I store cars at another location and I hate to start the motor if I'm not going to go for a drive. So, some times it's a couple months between drives. Any other way ?
put a dehumidifer in the storage area to reduce moisture and let it run.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 08:27 PM

You can try starting it in gear without pressing the clutch - that will usually break it loose. Is it humid where you live? As noted above, decreasing humidity is key ...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

I'm in the steamy south. When it sticks, I have to start it in gear and then slam on the breaks once up to 15 mph or so. It can take 6 tries to get it free. I rotate five old cars (2 Alfas) in and out of storage to my house so it can sit a couple months.

Is there a way to periodically create the necessary motion to avoid the sticking without firing the engine. In other words, how can I rock the system back and forth without creating a lot of cold starts that don't result in bringing the car up to temperature?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 07:23 AM
Gold Subscriber

1) don't put a hot clutch away in storage on a wet day
2) you can use a piece wood cut to correct length or something to hold the pedal down enough to disengage the clutch for storage
3) If put away dry on a dry day, and you go and press it one a month, should be no issues..
4) sometimes, they can get SO stuck together that you can press the pedal to the floor, and watch the slave rod extend, and still the only thing bending is the clutch springs...not so good!
5) If you have to 'Free" clutch using the above 'brake' method, check your guibos after, since all the force is on them
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 07:36 AM

Or change clutch to Milano-style single plate clutch.

It also drives much more nicely. I really don't like the twin-plate clutch in my Silver Car GTV6, and its the nicest I've ever driven. Twin plate clutch in my old black GTV6 was simply dreadful.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 07:59 AM

I had that same issue on one of my past GTV6s. My solution was similar. I'd roll it out into the driveway, and start it in 1st or 2nd gear. As I drove it around the block, I'd mash the gas pedal down and then quickly release all throttle... repeatedly. That usually unfroze the plates before I made a complete circuit of the block.

That GTV may have had the twin-plate clutch setup? But as stated above, was probably not a kind thing to do to the guibos, and drive line. Considered cutting a 2X4 to hold the clutch pedal down when it sat. But ending up selling that one before I got around to that experiment.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

I like the 2x4 idea. That should be easy enough to fabricate. I never drive in the rain, so it must be the atmosphere.

Am I understanding that I don't have to start the car while in storage, just pump the clutch pedal every month should keep things from sticking ?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Gold Subscriber

at least once a month, hold in pedal and roll it a few inches back and forth in gear so that different clutch faces see each other...

2.x4 method: expect that due to micro leaks, the clutch plates will eventually touch, this is just for those wet day put-aways when you don't have a chance to dry the clutch.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the clearification on the 2x4. I was thinking that was a permanent solution as long as the pedal was depressed.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 08:46 AM

Have experinced that fault since the car came from factory: When car is sitting too long the double plate clutch gets stuck. There are ways to get it loose, but that is a short term solution. The problem is lesser when the car is stored in a dry place. Long term solution is to change to the single plate clutch form the 75 3L!

GK.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:10 AM
Gold Subscriber

Changing to a Single Disc Clutch, is Not the answer. My 84' 3.0 ltr with Platinum LSD Trans-axle, (w/ single plate clutch), which I store, is stuck every time I try to run it. Bob in Oregon

One must keep working continuously; otherwise, one thinks of death.
Enzo Ferrari

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode