Are Alfetta sedans the next, next big thing? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Are Alfetta sedans the next, next big thing?

A few months ago we had a thread going in which we discussed Berlinas as viable future competitor for the popularity of our beloved Supers and TIs. Today I was reading an article in Thoroughbred and Classic Cars which was very complimentary about Alfetta sedans. To my knowledge this is the first time a major publication has said anything that was other than critical of these often orphaned Alfas.

Having driven an Alfetta sedan for several years as a daily driver, I can say that they make rather pleasant Alfas to drive. Although I don't like the Alfettas as much as I do the front 105 based sedans, the cars have a number of good qualities that definitely take them out of the mundane econo-box category of throw-away 70's cars. As the article pointed out, the De-Deon rear suspension is marvelous, the cabin airy and comfortable, the engine both willing and a cut above the competition.

So do you think Alfetta sedans might ever become sought-after Alfa sedans? Do the car's good qualities overcome the negatives (the floppy gear change, finicky driveshaft donuts, and rust) to allow it to become a sought-after Alfa?

Personally, I think a 1st series Alfetta sedan with a hot-rod twin-spark, setup suspension, and stiffened Shankle shift rod would make a pretty cool Alfa. Although, in all honesty, I don't think I'd abandon my Super for one.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series

Last edited by 180OUT; 10-13-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 10:48 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Short answer: no.

Long answer: noooooo.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #3 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 02:30 AM

Well, I am going to take a slightly different tack from Gubi, and suggest Jim that it is always quite possible. But to an extent that also assumes that the Alfetta GT and GTV equivalently will rise as per what has happened with the 105 GT/GTV.

Again while I have read plenty of articles in the past about how this may or should even happen, sadly I havn't seen the same level of appreciation in values as has happened with the 105 series.

Should this occur, then I would suggest that just like with Supers and Berlina's yes this is conceivable. The reason I say this is that relatively speaking so few Alfetta sedans have survived, even in comparison to GT/GTVs.

I can also say this from first hand experience having previously owned a '76 Alfetta GT and '76 sedan, as well as a S1 1750 GTV, 2L Berlina and a Super. The Alfetta is actually a really nice car. Yes I hate the gearchange and even a good one (as I had this with my sedan), is no where as accurate or pleasant as a 105 box. But regardless, the design is pleasant, the steering is sublime and as a classic the series 1 Alfetta sedans are by far the nicest looking in my view.

In terms of a Q car, don't worry about installing a twinspark, go instead for the V6. The guy I sold my Alfetta sedan too, installed the full running gear from a 90 into it and having had a few drives in it, I must say the roarty 2.5V6 is so seriously great. Best of all, it looks stock apart from being slightly lowered, a bigger bore exhaust and some nice mille miglia alloys with decent rubber.

"Sporting blood has run through the veins of every Alfa Romeo produced over the last **100** !!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
years"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 03:15 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
You'll be hard pressed to get many to buy into this. Personally, I think the styling of the first series sedan has similar charm to that of the Giulia sedan and Berlina. I prefer the styling of the Giulia sedan over both and the Alfetta over the Berlina.

I have driven my Alfetta and a Giulia sedan across country when I was much younger. Both were extremely comfortable but neither more than the other. The driveshaft and the shifter on the Alfetta are the two things that annoy me the most.

I don't know if they will be the next best thing, but anything is possible. I am sure there were many, many Catalinas and Galaxy 500's that have been crushed thru the years, just as there have been Alfettas. And now those have increased in value.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 06:37 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to tirefriar
The discussion of AR values is pretty hot topic. The Alfettas will go up in value but not in the near future. The market for Berlinas took off as they were the next alternative for the pricey Giulias. However, it seems that the prices for Berlinas have stabilized. Current buzz are the early Series 2 Spiders.

There are other models ahead of the Alfetta sedans that are in line for appreciation. Alfetta GT (very clean) and Milano come to mind. However, if you can pick up a clean Alfetta sedan go for it. The prices are good at the moment and you can get a lot of car for relatively few bucks. Just drive and enjoy. Future appreciation will be an added bonus.

1984 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1990 BMW GS100
1991 Bimota YB10
2001 BMW 525i Touring
2007 Mercedes R350 AWD
2004 BMW Boxer Cup Replika 193/300
PAST RIDES(abbreviated list): 1969 Spider 1750, 1969 Berlina x2, 1974 Spider x2, 1979 Spider, 1982 Spider x2, 2001 Jaguar XJR, 2011 BMW 328i, 2002 BMW R1150R, 2004 BMW Rockster Edition80 169/2003, 1968 Firebird Convertible, 1968 BMW 1600
post #6 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 07:54 AM
Platinum Subscriber

In answer to the thread title, I doubt it.
I'm moving this to the Alfetta forum.
Andrew
post #7 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirefriar View Post
The market for Berlinas took off as they were the next alternative for the pricey Giulias.
And the depreciation of Fiat (no pun intended) currencies.
In gold terms the value likely went down.

That said, it's always a good time to buy and sell ... for somebody.

My view is that if people are asking these types of questions,
the bubble is at least midway through. If you're going to 'invest' do the opposite of the multitude.

But the surest bet is to buy what you like, particularly in times of massive
speculation.
post #8 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 09:34 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
There are other models ahead of the Alfetta sedans that are in line for appreciation. Alfetta GT (very clean) and Milano come to mind.
Exactly, and the Milano is never going to be a collector's car either. They're great cars, but that's not enough.

Keith Martin of Sports Car Market gave a good talk at the convention this year. Turns out he's a big Alfa guy. Anyway, he doesn't even think the GTV-6 is ever going to be a real collectible, let alone the Milanos and Alfettas.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #9 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Not to be too negative, but to me the transaxle cars just have too many issues to be easy to own in the future. Especially for people who don't really care whether it's an Alfa or not, just want a cool car.

I had a 79 Sport Sedan and an 87 Milano, and never stopped working on either one on basics, not fun stuff. Changing the clutch MC on the Milano was one of the worst tasks I've ever attempted.

Andrew
post #10 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
There are other models ahead of the Alfetta sedans that are in line for appreciation. Alfetta GT (very clean) and Milano come to mind.
There are already sellers advertising Alfetta sedans well above 10k euros. And Alfetta GTV's in the 15-20's.

And I know 1 Junior Zagato for 70k euros.

Meantime, 1 month ago I was offered a truly exc. condition Urraco 2.0 for 24.5k euros. That was 11.5k from the starting price.

If one thinks an Alfetta GTV is worth almost as much as an exc. cond Urraco, good for them.

I hope to complete the purchase on that '17k Spider' advertised on mycarquest so I can see whether someone
who is an avid supporter of sky's the limit prices will put their money where their talk is.

Because I can write an article about my exc. Alfetta GTV (insured for 8k) and pump it to 15k euros,
or better yet 25k euros, so sites like BaT can pick up on it since they like extremes,
and relish in the 'beautiful photography and delightful use of bokeh'.

I know this time it's different, but ... it smells like a tea party sans the dresses, kinda 'petrosexual'.

The 'pro's', 'experts' and 'investors' have an interest to pump the classics market.
It's no different than any other speculative market.

America Re-Leverages: The Benefactors & How This Story Ends | The Future Tense

Last edited by plasmid; 10-14-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: and -> than
post #11 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 11:36 AM

post #12 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Good article, though I prefer to think of the Trickle Down theory as the Tinkle Down theory

If by chance you can't afford LSD, buy yourself a color TV. - Godard

1982 GTV6
1973 GTV2000
1971 Karmann Ghia Vert
1982 Land Cruiser
1988 Land Cruiser
post #13 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 01:18 PM

As a rabid Alfisti who has watched values closely for years, I have seen a recent increase in sold prices of Alfetta sedans, and to a lesser degree the Alfetta GT's.
They are becoming more desired and also getting very rare, due to being ignored for so long. I also spoke with Keith after my seminar and I disagree with him on GTV6 values, which is to be expected from me I guess. There has been a real increase in GTV6 selling prices in the last year, as well as s dwindling supply of restorable runners.
Time was, not so long ago, that a running, rust free GTV6 needing minor mech work, paint and interior could be had for under $2K, I know cause I bought a lot of them, but that is no longer the case.
Funny too, a couple of years ago I had people telling me Montreals would never be worth much, and THEY have increased in value 300% in ONE year!!
So, all that said, A good Alfetta sedan will be very hard to find under $5K soon, and prices up to $10K should be expected for nice cars.

The " Save the Rusty Alfa Society"
43 Alfas at the moment [ I think], I'll be able to tell better when the snow melts
post #14 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalAlfa View Post
Funny too, a couple of years ago I had people telling me Montreals would never be worth much, and THEY have increased in value 300% in ONE year!!
;-) That old world appreciation just doesn't cut it in today's fast paced environment.

I wonder if any of the dealers, auction houses, advisors etc will be deemed responsible - like the rating agencies with the real estate bubble.
post #15 of 216 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Never collected my Alfas to make money, but here's my 2 cents!!

1975 Alfetta Race car bought 2000 for $4500.00 Now $12000.00. Can't even describe this car, but she's got many trophies that came with her. HMA may have an opinion since he's the only other person to drive her.
Name:  RaceCar.jpg
Views: 4312
Size:  70.7 KB

1975 Alfetta Sedan Bought 1995 for $2500.00 Now $6000.00 Totality original, even got the smog pump totality clean, NO RUST. Only thing bad paint from the Boyz in Italy, Those BASTARDS!
Name:  Da Fetta.jpg
Views: 2964
Size:  94.1 KB

1985 GTV-6 Bought in 1993 for $4250.00 Now 14000.00. This car is totality original as well. It even got the Carello Wiper arms, and yes I have the Trash
Radial Wheels, just hate to drive with them on the car.
Name:  DSC_6366.jpg
Views: 2965
Size:  65.0 KB

1972 Montreal Bought in 1997 for $17000.00. Not to get away from the forum posted. This car is also totality original. Nothing has been touched on this car, inside and out. Going through it this Winter. It's got an original tire still on it. GOK what this is worth.
Name:  DSC_6362.jpg
Views: 2896
Size:  38.4 KB

All I can say is the 116 platform is finally getting the recognition they deserves.

As far as the cries above reguarding the upkeep, B.S. I've never had to lay on my back for long on any of these examples, just drive them.

My opinion is that these car issues and breakdowns are a result of the owners abusing the car and driving them incorrectly. In over 25 years of owning 116's I've never had these problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode