Look what followed me home... - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Look what followed me home...

Not the girl--she came with me (Actually, this car was HER idea! I am definitely one lucky dude)

So, this is the new project...yes the other one isn't finished yet (Alfetta Sedan), but it's close..just waiting for the head to come back from the machine shop. For 4 weeks. They tell me it's worth it....

Anyway, I've been passively looking for a low mileage gtv6, and this one popped up. It's rough. Some minor rust around the windshield/rear window. From what I've gathered, it was stored in a barn for quite some time, and wasn't put away well. Interior is shot, paint looks sketchy, but the mechanicals seem in good shape. The PO spent quite a large sum replacing the rubber bits, fuel lines, brake/clutch cylinders, radiator, etc. There is still some sort of cocoon of super-dry dirt under the car, which looks to have actually preserved the metal. Scrape some off and it looks like it just came from the factory. Most importantly (at least for me), it looks like an honest 39k mileage car. Perfect to join my other garage queen Alfetta

I'm driving it back down the CA coast this weekend. Yeah--breaking my own rule of only shipping cars you are unfamiliar with--but why not. It apparently has a Milano Verde tranny in it---very obvious from the LONG gears. This thing is screaming for a 3L. Solid car, however--feels like a real low mileage car, especially over rough roads--I think our new Fiat Abarth wiggles more than this thing does.

I had it checked before I ran it down--had some cracks in the front flex joint, but nothing major. It does have a mild/moderate vibration above 4k rpm...is this due to the flex joint, or something else more insidious? From what I can gather on the BB, there are a number of things that can cause it...and I know my best plan is to keep it low until I get it back to the friendly confines of orange county (and a short tow to Stewart at APC). Does this sound about right? Sad, since I'd love to wind it up...but I don't want to be left with a shattered giubo on the side of the road in middle-Cal. Any input, 'o wise ones of the BB? Love to hear it before we set off on the 1 tomorrow.

Planning on stripping it to bare metal once we get home, painting as original (without the 'water line'--just Alfa Red), then dropping a 3L, new leather upholstery, and pull the dash to have it re-covered and the gauges sent to Palo Alto for their magic. Goal to have it done by next year's convention...wish me luck
Attached Images

Stacy Faught -- Alfas: 1983 GTV-6, 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio. Non-Alfas: 1991 Corvette ZR-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 02:36 AM

Excellent find and good luck with it. Will be like new once your finished.

Alfa Romeo Gtv6 85
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 08:49 AM

Tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by onethumb View Post
It apparently has a Milano Verde tranny in it---very obvious from the LONG gears.
Not necessarily, some of the GTV6s came with a transaxle that had a 3:42 to 1 ring and pinion. GTV6 gearing already has super wide ratios and that r&p just makes it worse in my mind.

Overall looks like a very nice car. By the way I also have a 1HEPXXX plated GTV6 I'll check the number on Monday when I'm back at work.

Wes
Winner 24 Hours of Lemons, Finally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaguy35 View Post
Not necessarily, some of the GTV6s came with a transaxle that had a 3:42 to 1 ring and pinion. GTV6 gearing already has super wide ratios and that r&p just makes it worse in my mind.

Overall looks like a very nice car. By the way I also have a 1HEPXXX plated GTV6 I'll check the number on Monday when I'm back at work.
I guess I should have been more clear---the PO told me it had a Milano Verde TA with lightened gears, but as with all things: trust but verify

Stacy Faught -- Alfas: 1983 GTV-6, 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio. Non-Alfas: 1991 Corvette ZR-1
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 04:49 PM

Garage
My car has the 3.42 RP, LSD, 3.0 as set up by the PO. While I would prefer a shorter final drive, torque from the 3.0 gives some good compensation and running lower revs on the highway is a nice benefit. Not in a hurry to swap it out...
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 12:22 PM

Sounds a lot like mine, when I got it!
Word of warning - that optimistic restoration schedule? Just don't be surprised when it goes frustratingly awry. Of course, having a baby smack in the middle of things didn't help...
Congrats!

as good as a car can be... briefly.
'82 GTV6
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Time to bring this thread alive again.

So, yes--predictably, my timeline went terribly awry!

We moved to AZ, which changed things quite a bit...but the restoration is still underway.

Got all the old paint off and found some small amounts of rust, but nothing serious. My body guy (who specializes in Alfas) seemed to think it to be one of the better GTV6's he's seen.

I did a BUNCH of research, and it does appear that this is an original 39k mile car--it just sat in a bad place and the paint went to crap.

At any rate, here are a few photos of a naked GTV6
Attached Images

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

A few more.
Attached Images

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 08:05 AM

This looks familiar, in a painful kind of way

1981 GTV6 3.0L
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Found another spot that needed work---anyone ever seen a crack at the base of the door window frame? I was told it was from shutting the door by using the window frame--I guess I can see how that could happen, but I'm surprised that it created such a problem.

It's all welded up now, but I'm curious if this is a common issue or not.
Attached Images

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 10:37 AM

Garage
I had the same problem

Rob GTV6
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 11:14 AM

Yep, probably more common than you might think, although yours shows considerably more cracking than average.

Your causal explanation seems quite spot on as well.

Nice work!

'73 GTV - '78 Alfetta Sprint Veloce - '88 Milano Verde
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

The more we dig, the more we find...hidden under the windshield was some rust.
Attached Images

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

All nice and shiny new metal now!!
Attached Images

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

....and now for it's first coat of primer!
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode