torsion bar - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

torsion bar

have decided to adjust the ride height in my 85 GTV6 since it seems to be a good 2 inches higher than the ride height in my 83. I followed Greg Gordons ride height adjustment to the key but now am having problems with the torsion bar going all the way back in. At the rear of the torsion bar I can see the outer splines and the bar is about 1/16 of an inch not as far in as the the other side. (passenger side) At the front of the bar I can see the splines on the torsion bar, about an 1/4 of an inch out from the A frame. Is this normal, or did I not get the splines lined up incorrectly. I could never rotate the torsion bar, it was solid, even when it was free of the A arm. Help please. Should I back the torsion bar out and try again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 12:06 AM

Location: Moscow, Russia -> Minneapolis, MN, US -> Lausanne, Switzerland
Garage
Watch this: Alfetta; Lowering front suspension - YouTube

1975 Alfetta; ex 1973 Spider; ex 1984 Alfetta Quadrifoglio Oro
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

So I saw him pulling the torsion bar thru the back fitting and out. Will the torsion bar move all the way back? He also just wiggled it out thru the front fitting, is it really that easy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:23 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayalfagtv6 View Post
I could never rotate the torsion bar, it was solid, even when it was free of the A arm.
IIRC, the splines engage on one end before the other - i.e. even with the splines disengaged from the A arm it could still be (slightly) engaged at the chassis end. To free the bar so it can rotate to change position (i.e. to adjust the height) you will need to start over and pull the torsion bar out further.

Put some 'Never-Seize' on the splines before re-assembly. A future mechanic (maybe even you) will thank you for it.

Click here for Greg Gordon's suspension page

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

So When i initially pulled it out the bar was about a half inch beyond the back attachment point. If I pull it out farther it will disengage from the rear splines and continue to move toward the rear of the car?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 09:17 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
That's what I did with our GTV6.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode