Best wheels for GTV-6 - Page 9 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 07:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonRboy View Post
I think a pic from a few steps away would give a better idea how they look. personally, i think the two tone is a bit busy. If they were mine, I'd have them stripped and powder-coated a nice silver or a "black chrome" (which are not black at all but a "less white" silver - like the OZ rims on my 2002 Lancer OZ Rally daily driver).
There ya go!

Last edited by xander18; 06-02-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 07:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ToonRboy Send a message via Skype™ to ToonRboy
Balocco huh? Leave the wheels alone. They look just fine. To me, I don't really care for the Alfetta style side moulding and tacked-on Balocco badges. Car look good though.
post #123 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 08:06 AM

Garage
Actually not a Balocco. Those badges in the rear are just aftermarket pieces that say Alfa Romeo. The interior is perfect and out of a Balocco, steering wheel as well. The car is actually an 83. I agree though, I would like to pull those side pieces off and fill in the holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 06:07 AM

I have always wondered why people black out their number plates?... Tidy car...just not sure you need to protect your identity, the armed forces can track you mobile anyway...they know you're taking a sh*$ right now! :-p...yes, I have been drinking :-)
post #125 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 11:07 PM

Best wheels for GTV6? Ronal A1 or AZEV Type A. Hands down.

Brian White - 1979 Alfetta GTV - 1988 Milano Verde - 1981 Lancia Beta Zagato - 2006 Land Rover LR3 - 2005 Audi S4 Avant - 1990 SCCA SpecMiata
post #126 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 01:18 AM
Gold Subscriber

Brian, I concur

.... on the AZEV Type A's! The Ronal A1's are nice, but not 'top dog' in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo View Post
I think I'm partial to the AZEV Type A's but I still think the Borbet Type A's present a very nice period look.
Now for a pic or two... one of these from earlier in the thread.
Attached Images

Ron
16 Caddy ATS-V w/6sp MT
post #127 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 01:23 AM

best wheels

best wheels for GTV and GTV6?

no wonder...:-)

Original one, 15"
Ronal A1, 15"
Speedline SZ, 16"

happy gtving
yayaesda

Name:  ronal.jpg
Views: 13714
Size:  233.4 KB

Name:  SZ.jpg
Views: 3924
Size:  203.7 KB
post #128 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 06:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzed View Post
I have always wondered why people black out their number plates?... Tidy car...just not sure you need to protect your identity, the armed forces can track you mobile anyway...they know you're taking a sh*$ right now! :-p...yes, I have been drinking :-)
That's actually a pic that the previous owner sent me while I was purchasing the car. I agree though, it is a little paranoid. I'm a little more protective of VIN numbers though. Now the car has VT plates anyway.

And yayaeda, oh those SZ wheels! I would love those for my car, I think 16" is a great size for these cars. Those are 3 piece rims, correct?
post #129 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 07:24 AM

@ xander18

yes right, 3 piece rims... correct.
16" x 7.5" front and 8.5" back... thats perfect for gtv6.
happy gtving
yayaesda

Name:  sz2.jpg
Views: 5953
Size:  206.3 KB

Name:  sz3.jpg
Views: 21114
Size:  247.9 KB
post #130 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 07:26 AM

I would have those sz wheels in a heart beat, have always loved them. 3ps and pretty much custom to your specs, can really fill those rear arch's.
Quote:
That's actually a pic that the previous owner sent me while I was purchasing the car. I agree though, it is a little paranoid. I'm a little more protective of VIN numbers though. Now the car has VT plates anyway.
That explains it.
I like simmons myself....
Attached Images

post #131 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 07:29 AM

One more..

FR Simmons 17*8.5 inch with 17/245/45
Attached Images

post #132 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 02:47 PM

My favorites are the metric phone dials, visually. But, not a big fan of the metric limitations... $250+ for a tire employing 1985 tire construction technology.

So, I am perhaps considering a similar style rim. None floating around this side of the pond, as they came on A-R 156s and 147s. Used ones easily found in Europe, tho.

Need to study these a bit more sitting on a GTV6 body to decide. The rims are drop-dead gorgeous, and the GTV body is to my liking. But, sometimes, marrying two pretty things into one, does not equal a beautiful singularity. Not 100% sure yet, that these rims rhyme with an '80s body style? If I hang a picture of the two together on the wall to study this... I may end up just getting used to the combination, and calling it a deal. Better to not let it get that far before deciding.

These can be had in 16" and 17". Think I lean toward the 16s. Not so large that I lose much ride cushioning. But, just enough to make the cornering a bit more sensitive. That's if I keep the overall height of the tires the same as the stock 15s. Don't want to be pushing the limits of what the wheel wells can digest in corners and bumps.
Attached Images

post #133 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 02:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetmojo View Post
My favorites are the metric phone dials, visually. But, not a big fan of the metric limitations... $250+ for a tire employing 1985 tire construction technology.

So, I am perhaps considering a similar style rim. None floating around this side of the pond, as they came on A-R 156s and 147s. Used ones easily found in Europe, tho.

Need to study these a bit more sitting on a GTV6 body to decide. The rims are drop-dead gorgeous, and the GTV body is to my liking. But, sometimes, marrying two pretty things into one, does not equal a beautiful singularity. Not 100% sure yet, that these rims rhyme with an '80s body style? If I hang a picture of the two together on the wall to study this... I may end up just getting used to the combination, and calling it a deal. Better to not let it get that far before deciding.

These can be had in 16" and 17". Think I lean toward the 16s. Not so large that I lose much ride cushioning. But, just enough to make the cornering a bit more sensitive. That's if I keep the overall height of the tires the same as the stock 15s. Don't want to be pushing the limits of what the wheel wells can digest in corners and bumps.
Hey planetmojo, what's the OD of the metric size rim? If it's over 15" I wonder if it could be turned down to a 15" rim.
post #134 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 03:41 PM

Hi Xander. Peter in Burlington, here. Did you make it over to Chelsea and down to Troy, OK?

I can run out to measure the max OD on the rim, and subtract the step down to where the ID of the tire would sit. Might even be able to get a reading off the wall thickness on the rim to see if there is enough meat to be whittling on. Zatt work for what you need?

Here is a pic of the 1985 metric TRX rims and tires. In case you weren't familiar with the design.

I have heard that machining won't let that happen. But, may have been an oft repeated rumor. Let's see.
Attached Images

Last edited by planetmojo; 06-04-2012 at 03:45 PM.
post #135 of 261 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 03:48 PM

Garage
I recalled your username, I just didn't want to oust your cover! I did, the overheating was just a loose fan connection. After a little off site consultation from Glennco to make sure I wasn't about to blow anything up I was back on the road.

If you want to grab some measurements I would be curious about that. Circumferences will be the most accurate measurements for that stepped down portion and we can do some math from there. I don't know if this something I would jump at, especially as I don't have a lathe big enough, but I was curious at the possibility. If they're close and the material is there then you have the best of both worlds. However you run the risk of ruining a rim or weakening the rim where it counts.

I did some googling and the size of that rim is 365mm, or 14.37". It looks like it would have to get turned down to a 14" rim unless they measured from some weird diameter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode