Attached Images

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 09:03 AM

Working to get a set of the etm001 wheels on the alfa.

Any offset or bore issues?

1981 GTV6 3.0L
1983 Spider
post #168 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMMilano View Post
Or in silver,
Styling-wise, those are somewhat similar to the Campagnolos that came on 1981-'84 GTV6s. The Campys were 15" rims. If the price of those new rims delay your decision, and you are OK with 15" wheels... you could consider a set of used Campagnolos. Just a passing thought.

The black ones look nice. But, the matte finish may make them look like they received primer, and are waiting for a final coat of paint. They don't have to be a full glossy black. But, maybe a semi-gloss black could reduce that allusion?

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #169 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetmojo View Post
Styling-wise, those are somewhat similar to the Campagnolos that came on 1981-'84 GTV6s. The Campys were 15" rims. If the price of those new rims delay your decision, and you are OK with 15" wheels... you could consider a set of used Campagnolos. Just a passing thought.

The black ones look nice. But, the matte finish may make them look like they received primer, and are waiting for a final coat of paint. They don't have to be a full glossy black. But, maybe a semi-gloss black could reduce that allusion?

Peter
I have a few sets of the Campys as I use them on my race car, a good strong wheel. While similar I think the ESMs look better.

Check their website, my coloring my be off. Regardless I'm probably going to go with silver.

The other option is refurbing the wheels I have as I like the look. The cost is about the same as buying new ones.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #170 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 12:06 PM

Here are some rims I am seriously considering for my 24v 3.0 GTV6 project car. These are stock ALFA rims... but came on models that never made it to the US. These are 16 X 6.5, vs the stock 15 X 6.0. I've acquired one of these to double check offset and possible wheel well interferences, from a friend in Ireland. From some quick initial math, it looks like the additional 1/2" added to the width will end up here: 1/8th inch more inboard, and 3/8ths more outboard.

I'm not too concerned that the 1/8th" on the inboard side will interfere with suspension bits, as the extra 1/2" on the inside radius of the rim should more than offset that. Just need to make sure the extra 3/8ths on the outboard side won't scrape against the wheel wells at full lock. 3/8ths doesn't sound scary enough, tho. These Euro rims are hub-centric. Whereas, the the stock 15" units are stud-centric. So, a minor tweak to open up the hub center may be required.

If in selecting new tires, I try to maintain a similar O.D. on the 16" to the original 15" and metrics... I think this will keep the speedometer reading from becoming inaccurate. Plus, allowing the new setup to fit in the spare tire recess in the trunk. In selecting a new tire, I also have some control in the width of the tire.

The Euro rims are several years newer than the 1975-1986 body shape of the GTV6. So, the newer styling on the Euro units were meant to be shown on softer, more rounded, body shapes. So, my last test, before committing to a full set, was to ensure these rims visually work with the older body shape.

Altho, I have a degree in Automobile Design, you'd think I might be the last word on that call. But, over the years I've owned over a dozen GTV6s. As I am very familiar with all 3 of the stock rims (Campys, TRX metrics, and the wine glass rims)... my mind is polluted by knowing what rims SHOULD appear on a GTV6. My visual favorites of the stock rims are the TRX phone dials. Maybe that's why I was drawn to the 16" Euro rims? The TRXs are metric, and come with a long set of minuses.

I've done a quick paste-up of these rims on a side view of a GTV6 that is close to my final body color choices. So far, I find that the high-contrast silver rims sucks your eye directly to them. My solution to this mild concern, is to paint (or powder coat) them a bit darker shade of silver... like a pewter or gunmetal.

I love the styling of these rims, and I love the styling on the GTV6 body. I'm just not 100% convinced the two love affairs are a recipe for a perfect marriage, yet. May take some getting used to before I can make a better call on that question. And this is why I am leaving an image of the combo, for you all to comment on. Go for it !

Peter
Attached Images

post #171 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:02 PM

I am sorry but that combination would not do success here! Wheels seem too big for the car and I think also mismatch in style!

Alternatively I like the SZ style wheels on this car much better, even my choice is still different from that.

Here a couple of photos from a previous page, a car with SZ wheels. Expensive but very nice in my opinion!

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfe...gtv-6-a-9.html

GK.
Attached Images

Savali 3.1 likes this.
post #172 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:18 PM

I would do bad things for a set of those SZ wheels. Unfortunately they seem to be worth their own weight in gold. At least in NA.
post #173 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:26 PM

BTW, if somebody doesn't mind the look of newer Alfa wheels on GTV-6, there is a low-cost option in NA: Alfa 916 wheels
I considered them before settling for a set of Verde Benzoni's.
post #174 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the response to my question, guys !! I have to agree with Gabor, in that the two may not be the best visual match.

Since in my photo, the rims were pasted onto a side view of a GTV6, the relative size may appear a bit larger than they should, in reality. As they are 16" rims, the actual size should look no larger than any 16" rim in a GTV6 wheel well. Plus, as mentioned before, I think that by painting the rims a darker shade, that may help tone down their visual impact. Like the pic below.

As the GTV6 body in the pic shows a red body with a black accent color... I am considering painting all the black/greys on the body to a more consistent metallic gunmetal grey. This may also help tone down the rims, in an overall sense. If the black paint provides greater contrast to the bright silver rims, I can have some control over that by bringing the two closer together.

On the GTV6s, there are many black plastic and rubber components. They all age and weather at different rates. So the tea tray is a different grey from the rocker cladding, and the bumpers, etc. By converting them all to gunmetal, I will have reduced the car to only two colors. Red and gunmetal.

The Euro rims are about 3 or 4 pounds heavier than any of the 3 stock rim choices. So, that becomes one more argument against making that choice.

I do like the 'phone dial' styles you've offered above, as well. Those do provide less visual complaints than the Teledials.

I hope I don't sound like I am defending the Teledials, visually. Just offering some input to help lessen the obvious arguments against that combination. Happy to hear any opinions for... and against.

Thanks, Peter
Attached Images

post #175 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander18 View Post
I recalled your username, I just didn't want to oust your cover! I did, the overheating was just a loose fan connection. After a little off site consultation from Glennco to make sure I wasn't about to blow anything up I was back on the road.

If you want to grab some measurements I would be curious about that. Circumferences will be the most accurate measurements for that stepped down portion and we can do some math from there. I don't know if this something I would jump at, especially as I don't have a lathe big enough, but I was curious at the possibility. If they're close and the material is there then you have the best of both worlds. However you run the risk of ruining a rim or weakening the rim where it counts.

I did some googling and the size of that rim is 365mm, or 14.37". It looks like it would have to get turned down to a 14" rim unless they measured from some weird diameter.
Xander,

Old news, but... As I have been tinkering with new rim options, I did take a bunch of measurements off the 1985 TRX metrics, the 1981-'84 Campagnolos, the 1986 Speedline phone dials, and the 16" Teledials. I am more sure now that the metric rims cannot be machined down to work with 15" or 14" tires. Pity.

But, if you ever want those dimensions... I can make copies of these measurements for you.

Cheers, Peter
post #176 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:43 PM

I like the look of the wheels you posted, as you said I don't think they would actually look that big.
I think he SZ or Ronals are the best wheels for both the GTV6 and Milano but they are expensive and hard to get.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #177 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:54 PM

The Big Telefonica wheels seem to be from much newer models as the 8C and others, about 30 years in time distance from the GTV6.

Here some other older style telefonica wheels on the GTV6 Callaway. I think the black one has wheels from a 164. Those are not as expensive as the SZ wheels, if they can work in a telefonica concept.

GK.
Attached Images

post #178 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 05:58 AM

Darth resplendent at Brooklands Auto italia meet on a new set of 16" image wheels, f40 pattern. Name:  P1150983_zpsfd6f05fc.jpg
Views: 2058
Size:  63.7 KB Name:  IMG-20130504-00017.jpg
Views: 2207
Size:  72.1 KB
Attached Images

Renaldo likes this.

Last edited by kramsenyah; 06-17-2013 at 04:46 AM. Reason: additional pictures
post #179 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 10:44 AM

I agree the 16 inch SZ wheels are by far the best looking wheels on these cars.

Right now, however, their cost puts them out of contention. This may change when my restoration of the Silver Car is complete.

But for now I am happy with these 16 inch BBS rims. I got all 4 for less than $400 (including shipping). I did have to have the hubs machined to use the spigot rings that work for my OZ wheels.

One thing I really like is the 45 mm offset at the front, which keeps the steering light and sensitive under all conditions (except at a dead stop). My other car with 35 mm offset has a big problem with the steering loading up in corners.

When I do get my SZ wheels, I want the fronts to have a 45 mm offset.

And I should also mention that these BBS wheels are two piece forgings. No cheap castings that will bend the first time they hit a bump like the crap that comes from China. The bolt heads on these wheels are real and hold the rim onto the center section.

Rex
Attached Images

radicalsquare likes this.
post #180 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 10:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ToonRboy Send a message via Skype™ to ToonRboy
Quote:
Working to get a set of the etm001 wheels on the alfa.

Any offset or bore issues?
ESM lists their sizes for that wheel. Like 16" x 8" for instance.
Name:  ESM-001SL Sizes.jpg
Views: 2212
Size:  60.6 KB

I've run those through the 1010 Wheels offset calculator and it looks like you could go 8" x 16" in 5x100 w/20mm offset.
Name:  ESM-001SL Offset comparo.jpg
Views: 2246
Size:  48.8 KB

'Course, to fit 5x100 you'll need some wobble nuts and to fit the 67.1mm center bore, you'll need some Centering Rings as well.

50mm more lip is something I'd like in the rear of my car, but in front? I'm not sure. Seems the current on'e are outboard just about right.
Name:  buffed-out w-16inWheels.jpeg
Views: 2015
Size:  57.8 KB
One also has to consider that even though the backspacing has stayed the same, you have moved the centerline out an inch. Which changes the scrub radius a little more (+). According to Wiki, pos scrub radius is supposed o make steering a bit easier, though I find that it's harder when at a stop. Maybe that's the 225's.

Last edited by ToonRboy; 06-14-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode