Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Jim Neill aka Papajam

41K views 144 replies 97 participants last post by  AngloSpider 
#1 ·
Sadly, it appears as though this thread will now turn into a tribute to Jim. I just learned on FB that he's passed away.

I'm still in shock. The Alfa community has lost a truly great resource, and many of us have lost a great friend.

RIP Jim,

bs

#2 ·
I had occasion to interact by web and in person with Jim. Each time I was impressed by his unreserved generosity and kindness. In my view, he was a treasure for the Alfa community and as such an immeasurable loss.
It would be fitting for the management of the BB to pay a formal tribute to the man.

IMHO.

#3 ·
Jim was my mentor for this young Alfisti and over the past few years both he and his wife became family. He was a good man who gave anyone a helping hand giving both time and knowledge. I am still in shock over his death and miss him dearly. For those who knew him , have nothing but good things to say and for those who didn't , when the word Alfisti or if someone asked the question , are there good people in the world, he was the answer. His contributions to this community will help future generations care for these cars. It was an honor for both my father and I to call him friend.

#6 ·
I am devastated.
I've known Jim since I joined in 03, hung with him at several conventions, talked Alfa elec issues more times than I can remember.
I am lucky and glad, that I got to talk with him at length several times last month.
He knew his time was coming and still had a good attitude and spirit.
I'm glad I got to make him laugh, and then get enthused, about my antics putting points in a GTV6 distributor.
He gave more of his time than anybody, always responded and helped so many.
And like a BB'er said above, when he answered the phone at any hour to help you in a tight Alfa wrenching spot, he always treated you like a best friend.

#7 ·
I heard the news late yesterday and am still having trouble processing it. I feel privileged to have been able to call him friend. When I got my Spider in '03 and began the process of pulling the engine to rebuild it, he reached out with advice and loaned me some specialty tools. I think he was nevertheless surprised (I know others were) when I got everything put together in time for the 2004 convention in Manchester, New Hampshire, where I finally got to meet him in person (photo below).

My partner Lorain, feeling my grief, said, "everyone misses their senseis." When she said that, I realized that's exactly what Jim was for me, and no doubt a great many of us--a sensei. He guided us and shared more than just knowledge, but rather wisdom, in the most friendly and generous way possible. And how I loved, when I'd discuss something over the phone with him and I thought a solution through, apparently to Jim's satisfaction, and he'd exclaim, "Bingo!" I wonder how many of us have enjoyed hearing that.

This hurts.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)

It is with profound regret that the Moderator's announce the passing of Jim 'Papajam' Neill on the 27 December 2018. Jim had been ill for a while and had borne his illness with the same courage and fortitude with which which he lived his life. Typical of Jim in that when he realised that his time was running short that his thoughts would be of other people in his life and how he could lessen their burdens. Jim was a caring and loving husband, a family man, loyal and truthful, a man who gave freely of his time and his expertise to benefit others.

Jim spent hundreds of hours each year helping Alfa owner diagnose and repair their cars. At the annual AROC conventions you would see Jim driving in an autocross, slalom or racing. You would also see him in the parking lot with his head under the hood or under an Alfa of a fellow Alfista. Jim would often have parts on hand or find the parts from another owner to repair the car. Never once would he take payment for the services and or parts.

His myriad of exemplary wiring diagrams are a testament to his patience and attention to detail and are a legacy that will continue to help his fellow Alfisti for many years to come. He spent hundreds of hours on them getting the details right. Who knows how many owners have benefited from his work. He was truly a tireless individual who always gave to others. Even while he was sick, he would spend time on the phone with an Alfa owner diagnosing problems and getting the car repaired. Jim was knowledgeable about every aspect of Alfas from electrical to mechanical. His favorite was the GTV 1750.

For many years he was the custodian of the AROC USA library and his guiding hand has ensured that this repository of knowledge is cataloged and available to his fellow Alfisti. He knew the source of every manual and scanned document. He enjoyed researching through the plethora of documentation to determine the "correctness" of a part for a car.

Also, Jim was a huge Beatles fan. Jim and Jaci would spend Sunday mornings listening to Breakfast with the Beatles. Jim would play the piano while he and Jaci sang the song that was being broadcast over the radio, FM 102.9. To say he was a Beatles fan would be an understatement.

Some of us have been in constant contact with Jaci via the phone. She wants every one to know how much she appreciates the love the community had for Jim.

Our thoughts go out to his wife Jaci and his family in this time.

AlfaBB Moderators

#12 ·
I haven't logged in for a while but for some reason felt compelled today and then saw this news. So very sad to hear of the passing of such a talented and generous Alfisti. I'm sure I am not alone in spending a fair amount of time on the phone with Jim talking about my 1750 engine and webers. It is not common for a complete stranger to give out their personal number and time like this. Those calls and his wiring diagram were a huge help in moving my knowledge forward and eventually getting my GTV back on the road. That success belongs to him as much as anyone. My condolences to his family. Jim was a special man.

#13 · (Edited)
I have only been a member of the BB for a little less than five years. During this time, a number BB members have passed away, and though each were fondly remembered and apparently well-liked, or respected, I knew none of them.

While I have no intention of inferring that I had a personal relationship with Jim Neil, my contacts with him were all edifying, encouraging and educational. I felt that he was glad that Alfas were important to me and though I never had the opportunity to meet him, he made me feel "welcomed".

Those of you who knew him are better for it. I pray he rests in peace and that his wife and family take comfort in knowing that they are in the thoughts and prayers of many.

#16 ·
Jim called me within the last few weeks, seeking info on serial numbers for some guy’s 102! He sounded rough, but I figured all of us have those kind of days.

He was a rare treat.

Reactions: jaxstand
#17 ·
Shock to hear that Jim passed away. A friend of mine in Calgary Canada sent me an email with the news this morning.
It was just a few weeks ago I was helping him with a wiring question on my S4 he needed for a wiring diagram he was making, regarding the fuse box for headlights.
His wiring diagrams were amazing works of art. If all you did was print one out and frame it you would have something to marvel at. The hours and talent to make them are beyond words.
We have all been blessed to have had contact and support from Jim's wisdom.
Thank you, Jim...

#18 ·
Very sad to hear this. Although, I too never had the chance to meet Jim in person, we did speak on the phone and through emails when I first got my GTV. There was never a kinder voice to a newbie. I always felt as if he was dropping everything to help me out.

My condolences to Jim's family and friends.
HB

#20 ·
Such sad news and such a great loss to our community.

Jim for me exemplifies what a Mentor is.

He always took my calls, always. He never made me fell bad for asking even the most basic of questions. I could feel the pleasure he would get when he realized the light bulb went on inside my brain of what he was talking about. He was always willing to help in any way.

I was fortunate to meet Jim in person at the 2012 ARCC convention in Toronto. It was the highlight of the convention for me.

You will be sadly missed my friend.

RIP Jim

#21 ·
I echo what most others have already said.
Jim was a great guy. He was extremely giving of his time and knowledge.
If it weren't for his schematics, I'd still be scratching my head over several minor issues.
I too met him in Toronto in 2012 based on hearing of him, and having only read some of his posts (having only owned my car 1 year at the time).
But in subsequent years I really came to appreciate what he had to offer, and always felt more confident and better prepared for the issue at hand.
He always responded to my PM's and/or phone calls, and always offered great detailed information. No question was too big, small or simple or ever appeared to bother or annoy him. In fact, he always seemed pleased to be reached out, and often asked to be updated with the outcome. He definitely loved imparting his wealth of knowledge.
This is such a great loss for the community.
RIP Jim! You will be missed.

#24 ·
What I'll always appreciate abut Jim was his willingness to help with Alfa problems. His wiring diagrams were, indeed, works of art and my enlarged and laminated copy has been a godsend as I fumble my way though typical Alfa electrickery. Consulting his lucid diagrams saved my butt on so many occasions . . .

It goes without saying that Jim will be missed. He was a good man, and the very picture of a dedicated Alfisti. Jim was the kind of guy that makes owning old Alfas, knowing about them, and working on them such a worthwhile endeavor. Without people like him, our experience of Alfas would be barren and sterile.

Yes, he will be missed---but, when the stories are told and the songs are sung, he will also be remembered. My heartfelt condolences go to his wife and family. RIP Jim.

#26 ·
We have lost a GIANT in the Alfa world and in the Alfa BB Community, I'd known Jim for over 13 years, communicated many times by email sharing info and research, sadly I never met him in person, we are poorer by his passing, but richer in knowing him and in the legacy he has passed on in the AROC Library and the wiring diagrams.

Rest in Peace mi amici

Greig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.