Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   AlfaBBNews (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfabbnews/)
-   -   Jim Neill aka Papajam (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfabbnews/673168-jim-neill-aka-papajam.html)

ossodiseppia 03-04-2019 05:25 PM

pantera928 03-04-2019 06:02 PM

Truly sorry to hear this news. He seemed like a selfless individual who was always willing to help in any way he could. My Mom passed away on December 23rd so I have been off of this forum for a while and guess I missed it. Condolences to his family. May her rest in peace

pantera928 03-04-2019 06:05 PM

Thanks for the info and the link on this forum. My Mom passed away on December 23rd so I have been off the air for a while. He was always there when needed and I will miss him and his sage advice.

Is anyone going to take up the torch from him with wiring diagrams? He was a Godsend with those.

dghii 03-04-2019 06:18 PM

I am late to the party and did not have near the interaction with Papajam that many on this board had. Like others, I emailed Jim asking for a copy of a wiring diagram for my car.

I couldn't believe the .pdf I received. The amount of detail and layout was a thousand times better and more logical than anything I'd seen from the factory. The fact that this work of art was free was beyond me.

The world was a better place with him in it.

Farace 03-04-2019 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 8383674)
I am late to the party and did not have near the interaction with Papajam that many on this board had. Like others, I emailed Jim asking for a copy of a wiring diagram for my car.

I couldn't believe the .pdf I received. The amount of detail and layout was a thousand times better and more logical than anything I'd seen from the factory. The fact that this work of art was free was beyond me.

The world was a better place with him in it.

And there was more work in them than most of us know--I know he went through a few rounds of error checking with me for the '71 Spider schematic, asking me to look at my car and confirm specific wires and colors. Fun note: he'd put little things in you might smile at if you noticed. The odometer probably reads the model number for the car the schematic belongs to.

There have been a few times in the past few weeks I've found myself almost reaching for the phone.

ossodiseppia 03-05-2019 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantera928 (Post 8383668)
Is anyone going to take up the torch from him with wiring diagrams? He was a Godsend with those.

Maybe we should put an ad on the BB and see if someone steps up. :detective:

Jim put an incredible amount of time into each of the diagrams he made. As far as I know, each diagram was checked against one or more cars. If he found something that did not make sense, he would ask someone to check their car against the diagram.

Jim used Microsoft Vizio to make the diagrams. Vizio is used to create flow charts. He liked using Vizio because he could grab sections of the diagram and move them without "breaking" the the traces. His diagrams were made to be easy to read and were laid out just as they were on the car.

I hope that someday, someone on the AlfaBB will be distributing his wire diagrams. But, they will not be posted publicly as Jim never wanted anyone to profit from his work.

pantera928 03-05-2019 05:40 PM

I use Microsoft Visio for my work. I create the drawings and them send them out as PDFs so that they cannot be modified by the end user. I would be happy to help with distribution of electrical drawings if there was a way to get hold of his source drawing files. I could send them out on request in PDF. I could even modify errors but i do not think I will have time to create new ones. Maybe one day when I retire.

alfaloco 03-05-2019 07:11 PM

Pantera, I'd like to offer you my sincere condolences on the loss of your mother in December. May the Lord comfort you and yours.

Alfaboutvegas 03-05-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaloco (Post 8384132)
Pantera, I'd like to offer you my sincere condolences on the loss of your mother in December. May the Lord comfort you and yours.

That's what I like about this board, we genuinely care for those here even though we really don't know each other personally, there is a sense of concern for others.
Everyone I've met on the board has a special attitude toward others.
Wouldn't it be nice if this concern here would spread?

pantera928 03-06-2019 07:55 AM

Thanks for your kind thoughts guys. I agree with Alfaboutvegas about wouldn't it be nice if this concern here would spread. Don't know if I will ever meet you guys but feel like I know you anyway. I don't have any plans to go to Vegas but i do get through Lexington sometimes. My home office is based out of Florence. Ky.

Greg

jg1053 03-07-2019 03:45 PM

Jim IS a great loss to the Alfa community. I offer my sincere condolences to his family and friends. We were the same age.
Jim Gordon

alfaloco 03-07-2019 07:54 PM

Your home office based in old Boone County, KY?? Well that's my old stompin' ground. My family lived in Walton up there! Coby Sweeney's FIAT Alfa dealership there on KY 18 has been very nice to fellow AROC members, and sells Alfas all over the place. My buddy Skip Jones is a super sales guy with them. Let me know when you'll be passing through town here in the Bluegrass, and I'll buy you a brewski or two, Pantera.

Or rather, Greg!

abeasley 03-08-2019 08:32 AM

This is really sad to hear. I'm new to this hobby but his work has already helped me a great deal.

ossodiseppia 03-08-2019 08:50 AM

There is another Papajam thread going. So, I am going to merge it with this one.

WithanF 03-11-2019 06:03 PM

Just saw this thread. I first encountered Papajam in a “driving barefoot” thread when he referred to a group of us as “pebble flamers” because we poo pooed his concern about debris on floorboards. I was proud to be branded a pebble flamer by Papajam. Like many others, years later I found my way to his home to get an electrical problem sorted. He was a gentleman through and through and he will be missed.