Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   AlfaBBNews (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfabbnews/)
-   -   Jim Neill aka Papajam (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfabbnews/673168-jim-neill-aka-papajam.html)

garwood1 01-04-2019 07:40 AM

Such sad news to start the year with. I am indebted to Papajam for his help in sorting out my Spider electrics. He was such a pleasure to work with. Such a generous spirit.

With condolences from the UK.

bellagt 01-04-2019 12:24 PM

Sincerest condolences to Jim's family and friends. I never met him in person... just on the pages of this forum, where Jim set an unquestionably high standard with his contributions, generosity and respectfulness. Hopefully, his memory and legacy will continue on with AlfaBB members that follow his lead on how to share our love and experience of Alfa ownership.

brad fischer 01-04-2019 02:28 PM

I read the news today, oh boy ……..(from The Beatles song "A Day in The Life") Kind of sums up my feelings right now.
Talked to Jim on the phone many times over the last 13 years since I joined ABB. Emailed, exchanged Alfa books, bought rebuilt 1969 1750 USA brake master cylinder from him. Met him at the Toronto Alfa convention in 2012. What a kind and helpful man. He will be missed!

kempton 01-04-2019 03:22 PM

I just heard the sad news on Papajam passing from brad Fischer. I never met him but tapped into his very extensive knowledge on gtvs. He rebuilt my master cylinder on my 66 gtv, great service, expert results..No doubt he was a genius type alfa guy that was there to assist and advise on alfas A to Z. He made his mark with Alfa Romeo!!!!!

jimcheney 01-06-2019 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jim was my Alfa mentor, and he and Jaci were just as sweet a couple as you could ever want to meet.

When I bought my GTV back in 02, I posted on the Alfa mailing list looking for help with a PPI. Jim not only answered the call but did a 3-hour inspection and gave me a 4-page list of notes complete with compression numbers etc. That was only the beginning of the kindness and generousity he showed me for most of the last 20 years. I learned so much from him and he was truly one of those people I thought would just always be around.

Attached is a picture of Jim flogging my car at the AROC convention 10 or so years back. I’ll always remember him grinning ear to ear at the sound of the Alfa twin-cam.

Rest In Peace Jim, you made my life richer and better!

musiccity 01-06-2019 07:45 PM

I am a relative newbie here, but Jim weighed in a few times to help me and was always right and always a gentleman about it. The world could use more like him, and will certainly miss him. God bless his family and all of the close friends he clearly had in a life well-lived.

aratt 01-07-2019 04:51 PM

My wife bought me a 74 Spider Veloce for Christmas, and we've had some issues trying to get her started, which brought me to this forum. One of the posts on a 1974 fuse box referenced Papajam and the guru he was. I joined the forums because of it and was excited to seek his expertise as so many others have. Sadly, after joining I learned that Jim had passed.

While I never got the opportunity to meet or speak to Jim, in some way I feel the loss many Alfisti are experiencing. I wish I had the chance to work and talk with him. May he rest in peace.

Balsamina 01-07-2019 10:12 PM

Rest In Peace Jim and my condolences to Jaci and their family and friends.

When I purchased my first Alfa and joined AROC a few years ago, I contacted Jim to request copies of technical literature. He responded very quickly and thoroughly, and with good humor and patience with my newbie questions. It was as if I were an old friend asking for a favor he was happy to grant. He was generous with his time and knowledge.

Rosenmöller 01-09-2019 01:09 AM

Since I became a member in 2004 Jim has always supported me with my crazy idea to drive a four-cylinder Spica Alfa in Europe. He was always helpful and I learned a lot from him.
His knowledge, but also his patient and balanced character, will be missed not only by me, but certainly also by the whole forum.

sincere condolences from the Baltic Sea

Bernhard

Nader 01-16-2019 03:04 PM

Very sad about this. Jim was a great guy. Very helpful on the phone. He refurbished a dual circuit ('69) master cylinder for me, and wouldn't take payment for it. He asked that I donate money to this site instead (back when Simon owned it). That was about 10 years ago when I was building my race car. He also gave me that invaluable wiring diagram for my Spider. I saved his email from 12/09 when he sent it to me.

He told me his internet handle was a holdover from when he was a DJ at a radio station. Cool guy!

paladin105 01-17-2019 02:10 AM

Nice to know Papajam and all his wisdom lives on within the pages of ALFABB. I had the good fortune of receiving his help via email on the 26 December 2018 which consisted of a very kind and generous interaction involving his giving to another - namely me.

I'm new and know I have much to learn if I am going to restore my Alfa so I read, read more and then keeping reading more threads across ALFABB. In doing so, Jim 'papajam' Neill guidance, inputs and technical clarification appear often and he doesn't seem all that far away.

His posts continue to teach newbies like me and I expect old hands alike and it's so very fitting and pleasing to learn about the AROC-USA decision that will establish a memorial award in his name.

Sincere condolences to all his family and loved ones and those of you who came to know him well. Your loss is no doubt deeply felt and saddening for all including those of us who had just one brief encounter with this special person.

Furrikain 01-19-2019 08:57 AM

It's saddening to read this news.

I'm not much of a forum user, but when I joined here, I was barely 22 years old and didn't know anyone growing up that was into cars, let alone classic Alfa Romeos, so buying a GTV6 as my very first car was quite daunting.

Finding out there were online resources available where I could get advice from seasoned alfisti really helped push me forward in the hobby, which has become a big part of my life.

For me Papajam was on that short list of guys that gave me the confidence to jump in head first. I knew if I needed a workshop manual or some advice, he was just an e-mail away and quick to reply with everything I needed and more, even sending files on a CD-ROM all the way to Belgium.

I can't say I knew him beyond those brief exchanges and reading his many helpful posts on the forums, but he will be missed.

"If I never meet you in this life, let me feel the lack" -James Jones

Barn101 02-23-2019 08:36 AM

I too had exchanged a few emails and phone calls with Jim. What a super kind and patient man. I was looking forward to meeting him in Pittsburgh this summer. I usually search the 750-101 forum and didn't hear about his passing until I received my Alfa Owner's magazine. After going through all 7 pages here, I can tell what an enormous impact he had made on others as well. My condolences to his wife, family and those of you whom were his close Alfa friends.

i

pantera928 03-04-2019 04:22 PM

papajam

Trained (ex)Professional 1953-2018 RIP"

Did he pass away recently?

archeologist 03-04-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantera928 (Post 8383632)

Trained (ex)Professional 1953-2018 RIP"

Did he pass away recently?

Yes unfortunately I believe it was late last year. We lost a huge resource and great person.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk