Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   AlfaBBNews (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfabbnews/)
-   -   Jim Neill aka Papajam (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfabbnews/673168-jim-neill-aka-papajam.html)

DPeterson3 12-28-2018 07:18 PM

Jim called me within the last few weeks, seeking info on serial numbers for some guy’s 102! He sounded rough, but I figured all of us have those kind of days.

He was a rare treat.

velocedoc 12-28-2018 07:19 PM

Shock to hear that Jim passed away. A friend of mine in Calgary Canada sent me an email with the news this morning.
It was just a few weeks ago I was helping him with a wiring question on my S4 he needed for a wiring diagram he was making, regarding the fuse box for headlights.
His wiring diagrams were amazing works of art. If all you did was print one out and frame it you would have something to marvel at. The hours and talent to make them are beyond words.
We have all been blessed to have had contact and support from Jim's wisdom.
Thank you, Jim...

howieb4 12-28-2018 07:19 PM

Very sad to hear this. Although, I too never had the chance to meet Jim in person, we did speak on the phone and through emails when I first got my GTV. There was never a kinder voice to a newbie. I always felt as if he was dropping everything to help me out.

My condolences to Jim's family and friends.
HB

alfaparticle 12-28-2018 07:27 PM

Jim contributed a lot to our community and he is a great loss.
RIP

Vintre 12-28-2018 07:36 PM

Such sad news and such a great loss to our community.

Jim for me exemplifies what a Mentor is.

He always took my calls, always. He never made me fell bad for asking even the most basic of questions. I could feel the pleasure he would get when he realized the light bulb went on inside my brain of what he was talking about. He was always willing to help in any way.

I was fortunate to meet Jim in person at the 2012 ARCC convention in Toronto. It was the highlight of the convention for me.

You will be sadly missed my friend.

RIP Jim

mcola 12-28-2018 07:58 PM

I echo what most others have already said.
Jim was a great guy. He was extremely giving of his time and knowledge.
If it weren't for his schematics, I'd still be scratching my head over several minor issues.
I too met him in Toronto in 2012 based on hearing of him, and having only read some of his posts (having only owned my car 1 year at the time).
But in subsequent years I really came to appreciate what he had to offer, and always felt more confident and better prepared for the issue at hand.
He always responded to my PM's and/or phone calls, and always offered great detailed information. No question was too big, small or simple or ever appeared to bother or annoy him. In fact, he always seemed pleased to be reached out, and often asked to be updated with the outcome. He definitely loved imparting his wealth of knowledge.
This is such a great loss for the community.
RIP Jim! You will be missed.

sportiva 12-28-2018 08:32 PM

RIP papajam.

This Alfa community will miss him very much, His contribution to this forum and his willingness to help total strangers by sharing his knowledge and experience with them, He was truly one of the respected elders on this forum. A sad day indeed.

Biscione 12-28-2018 10:22 PM

Papajam, a real Alfista.

Now he can drive his euro 1750 as fast as he wants.

RIP Jim.

180OUT 12-28-2018 10:55 PM

What I'll always appreciate abut Jim was his willingness to help with Alfa problems. His wiring diagrams were, indeed, works of art and my enlarged and laminated copy has been a godsend as I fumble my way though typical Alfa electrickery. Consulting his lucid diagrams saved my butt on so many occasions . . .

It goes without saying that Jim will be missed. He was a good man, and the very picture of a dedicated Alfisti. Jim was the kind of guy that makes owning old Alfas, knowing about them, and working on them such a worthwhile endeavor. Without people like him, our experience of Alfas would be barren and sterile.

Yes, he will be missed---but, when the stories are told and the songs are sung, he will also be remembered. My heartfelt condolences go to his wife and family. RIP Jim.

richards 12-28-2018 11:26 PM

Really sorry to hear of his passing...we exchanged emails over the years; he was always generous with his time and knowledge.

RIP and sincere condolences to family and friends.

Richard

AlfistiSA 12-29-2018 12:11 AM

We have lost a GIANT in the Alfa world and in the Alfa BB Community, I'd known Jim for over 13 years, communicated many times by email sharing info and research, sadly I never met him in person, we are poorer by his passing, but richer in knowing him and in the legacy he has passed on in the AROC Library and the wiring diagrams.

Rest in Peace mi amici

Greig

spiderserie4 12-29-2018 12:30 AM

I am shocked at the news of Jim's passing.

We were emailing fairly often just these last months and weeks, as Jim was completing the new wiring diagrams for the S4 and asked a little help from me.

I always remember when I first joined the BB. I had written not many posts and Jim sent me an email and thanked me for my contribution (I have never experienced something like that on any forum!)
I thank you for the years of help to fellow alfisti, not just here on BB, but also over on the AO UK alfa forum, where he often helped those on t'other side of the pond.

My condolences and prayers go to his family and friends.

Rest in Peace Jim.

Dom

JCDK 12-29-2018 01:21 AM

Wow, what shocking news.
Thank you for the many times you sent me wiring diagrams when I started a new project, congratulating me with the purchase I did.. Many others said it before, but he had the ability to make you feel welcome without really knowing him.
Rest in peace!

AngloSpider 12-29-2018 04:52 AM

Like so many people we come across on forums, we never get chance to meet in person which is a real shame. I benefited greatly from reading Jim's contributions in many posts over the years, and he also responded directly and helpfully to queries that I had with my cars. He seemed to have endless patience and was a true gentleman. It is very sad to read of his passing. RIP.

grapppa 12-29-2018 05:30 AM

Remembering Jim

I met Jim and Jaci a few months ago and over time visited him to talk Alfa. I would stay for a few hours (which seemed like minutes) and would always make plans to visit him again. We spoke at least once a week just to catch up. He took great interest in my restoration project and was always on the look out for the parts I needed! I was acutely aware of his condition and how difficult it made simple things that we take for granted. It never dampened his spirit and he never complained. His intelligence was obvious as was his generosity. I will miss Jim greatly.

We will succeed because we were able to stand on the shoulders of giants, like Jim.