Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa Romeo Stelvio Spied Inside and Out

7K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  ymilano 
#1 ·

The Alfa Romeo Stelvio has been caught by spy photographers testing on the streets of Turin, Italy.

Since the last time we saw a Stelvio prototype, the Italian automaker has shed a bit of the camouflage to reveal a sloping roofline on the upcoming SUV. The front end is still heavily concealed, but we do see the iconic Alfa Romeo triangle and headlights that look a bit like those found on the Alfa Romeo Giulia. More importantly, this is the first time spy photographers managed to get photos of the Stelvio’s interior.

Now that production has begun on the Alfa Romeo Giulia, the company is focusing on the development of its SUV that should debut late this year or early next year. The model was originally planned to be released earlier but ran into delays. FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne originally announced that Alfa Romeo would launch eight new models by 2018 and the Stelvio is just the second of those eight.

Expect the Stelvio to share its powerplants with the Giulia sedan, and it wouldn’t be a surprise if a high-performance version using the engine from the Quadrifoglio model is added to the lineup. In the U.S., the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio packs 505 horsepower, and if the Stelvio follows, it gives Alfa a competitor to the other high-performance luxury SUVs on the market like the BMW X5 M and AMG models.

Read More Here: Alfa Romeo Stelvio Spied Inside and Out » AutoGuide.com News

See less See more
#3 ·
Me either. I just don't see the point in them. Recently some relatives from the UK visited us and they hired a Volvo XC60 SUV. My 23 year old average height son and I rode in it with them and he sat in the back. He later commented that there was more room in the back of my 2004 Alfa GT than in the Volvo. I also suspect that there is more room in the trunk of the GT. With the seats folded down there is a large amount of space in the GT and even with them up it is quite sizeable as they were based on the 156 Sportwagon platform. Most SUVs are just jacked up sedans with a chunkier body. I would rather have a station wagon than an SUV, with the possible exception of a Range Rover Evoque which actually works brilliantly off road, unlike most others.

#4 ·
I also love wagons which are a rare sight these days. SUVs and crossovers are confused vehicles that compromise on everything. On behalf of America to the world ..sorry.
I am sure Alfa like Porche and BMW was dragged into the fray to remain competitive.
I doubt many will be trying to save these vehicles 40 years on from now.

#5 ·
I am sure Alfa like Porche and BMW was dragged into the fray to remain competitive.
I doubt many will be trying to save these vehicles 40 years on from now.
My thoughts too. It's a pity Alfa didn't make a cross wagon like the 156 one they made instead. We didn't get those in Australia, but a neighbour in Italy had one. It was a 156 Sportwagon jacked up and with 4WD. They called it the Crosswagon Q4. I thought that was what the Stelvio was going to be when my Alfa salesman friend first told me about it. He called it a cross wagon but it is just another SUV.

#7 · (Edited)
even with all those black coverings, the underlying shape is not appealing. Interior looks cool. Alfa needs to create an update of the Brera, one of their best 'modern' shapes (not including 4c/8c/giulia/159)) . Give the new 'Brera' all wheel drive, 300 hpv6, and wide wheel wells.....

#9 ·
The news about this vehicle might be more impressive if the Giulia actually landed and FCA didn't seem to be more interested in the new Compass instead. You can hardly blame them I guess, there's a lot more call for SUVs these days, hence working on the Stelvio in the first place. But I bet the profit margin on an Alfa isn't as juicy as a Jeep.

#10 ·
Ugggh, another SUV. Would much rather see a new wagon. I travel to Amsterdam and
London quite frequently and am always jealous of the 159 and 156 Sportwagons I see
on the road! Until the day comes (I realize very unlikely) Alfa offers a new wagon in the
US I'll have to keep driving my BMW 528iT as my daily driver.

Later, Steve

#12 ·
I totally agree Steve. People are obsessed with SUVs in Australia as well for some reason that I can't fathom. With the possible exception of the RR Evoque, (which also happens to be highly capable off road), they are all ugly things too. We are lucky to have a 159 ti Sportwagon, which is a stunningly beautiful car.

Attachments

#11 ·
What I can't figure out is: who, in America anyhow, is the intended customer for this vehicle? It's true that I didn't see the customer for the Porsche SUV, but I've decided that those are name-plate hunters... And I don't think that Alfa has the same level of snob appeal (yet? Again?).

#13 ·
Agree with previous opinions about this car, looks like the ugly duckling to me, but lets see what emerges after the camouflage has been removed. Obviously this is a SUV and as mentioned later SUV cars, the small ones have a trunk that is smaller than the Sportwagon/stationwagon, so what is their reason for existence? The bigger cars like Volvo XC90, Porsche Cayenne, Audi Q7 and BMW X5 are quite popular here, roomy, powerful and 4wheel drive getting around on bad roads all year taking lot of luggage and in comfort, still having some sportiness about them and luxury. So they are popular. However this Alfa, I dont know if it will be able to make any impression.

What worries me a bit is that Alfa does not work any on future technology. Like it or not the electric car is here and work is done on Hydrogen cars like the Toyota Mirai. Because this country can lower taxes on Electric cars there is a considerable growth in electric cars so Tesla, Mercedes B-class Electric, and Volkswagen electric are quite usual here. Production is now like some models have chassis for petrol, diesel and Electric motors. Seems to be the the production standard to include electric version in future models. Study groups from foreign administrations come here to study how this country could manage this change to Electric here. Then local groups here predicted that car makers who dont offer Electric cars would struggle because the change to electric is inevitable to be able to meet future demands on zero pollution.
So when will we see anything from Alfa answering to zero pollution? Well in addition to other models also. Is this still in the design rooms or not planning at all?

G.

#16 ·
Had one stopped in front of me at the red light. Took awhile to recognize the Alfa emblem & realize it was the new Alfa. Looked just like a Toyota.
These new Alfas look like every other cars on the road. What happened to the fresh & distinct Alfa styling ?

I got into Alfas because a 74 GTV stopped me cold as I drove by. Had to get out & find out what kind of a car it was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.