Alfa Red Paints - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Alfa Red Paints

Same may know I had beed trying to determine the difference (if any) between AR-303 Rosso Corso and AR-501 Rosso Classico.

PPG uses different codes for these, perhaps indicating they are different. PPG calls AR-501 > PPG-71718. And AR303 > PPG-71297.

I have finally found color chips of both colors and a bunch of other data. I found only one paint chip for AR-303, but I found several for AR-501. Both of these chips were very similar, essentially the same! Not surprisingly there were small (insignificant to me) differences among the AR-501 paint chips from different years. I noticed that the formulations for the color also changed slightly from one year to the next in at least the Glasso paint book. Unfortunately, there was no formulation given for 303 so I could not completely compare it to 501, but again, it looked very similar, the same to me.
I also found a Dupont book containing both colors. The dupont book lists the same code for both 303 and 501! So this is more evidence the colors are the same.
You may download a boatload of colorcharts here from my website, if you like. It includes many of the other Alfa colors as well.
http://www.liebold.com/AR/ARpaint.html

One pic below shows the AR 303 and 501 chips side by side, both from Glasso. The other pic shows the Glasso AR303 chip behind another unknown company's AR501 chip. The unknown company chip has a round hole it so the AR303 shows through.
Both pics show the color being very similar. Obviously the colors are distorted in the photos, but you can see the similarity. I now consider the colors the same.
Carl
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
why it matters...

I meant to say why I cared about all this... Most of the info I have show AR-501 red starting around the late 60s. If this is true, to paint your early 60s car the proper red, it might not be the right color. But since it appears the earlier AR 303 red is essentially the same color, my concern didn't matter. For an early sixties car it looks to me you can paint it AR-501 color, and call it AR-303 Rosso Corso if you want!
C
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 09:32 PM

Garage
Hi Carl,

Excellent research! Thank you for putting the information together and sharing it with us.
I included a reference to your threads in the 1972 Alfa Romeo Color Chart.

Ruedi

Last edited by tubut; 10-05-2004 at 10:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 01:28 PM

As I said in a previous post, a friend had his 2600 Spider repainted last year in AR-303 ("Alfa Racing Red" per the 1962 factory bulletin) mixed up using the Ditzler code by a large paint supply store here in Phoenix. To my eye, the color is quite different from all the AR-501 cars I have seen. It appears more bluish and darker. I saw the car this weekend but did not have my digital camera with me. Again, there is no guarantee that the color is true to the original. As you suggest, the only way to know for sure it to find a car with original paint and look at some hidden, unfaded area to be sure.

Arno Leskinen
AROC National Concours Chair
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 04:28 PM

Since we already have a thread on Alfa red paints, I also have a question. My code sticker says Duco Montecatini Rosso 95-C-9608. Can someone tell me what this is/or means?

Last edited by SeekGTV; 10-20-2004 at 06:31 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageveloce
Look here:
The numbering system there and on the other charts I see don't match any of my numbers and that is why I'm confused. Do I convert them and how? Is ther a conversion chart?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 07:28 PM

Garage
"Duco" is the manufacturer (or the product line), "Rosso Montecatini" is the name Alfa Romeo gave this paint color, and the string "95-C-9608" refers to the paint code of the paint manufacturer.

According to the information I have in my database, "Rosso Montecatini" refers to Alfa Romeo paint code "AR-504" and is available under DuPont code number C-9068.

Please note the reversal of the numbers "6" and "0" in the Duco and DuPont codes. I don't know which one is correct. There could be a typo in my database. Possibly both are correct. Could you double check if the number you posted is correct, please?

Cheers,

Ruedi

Last edited by tubut; 10-20-2004 at 07:30 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 07:50 PM

Reudi, thanks ever so much for catching my error! You are correct it is 95-C-9068!
Next question would be, are these paints still availible and I would ask for Dupount C-9068 or?

Last edited by SeekGTV; 10-20-2004 at 07:54 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode