Advice for driving a 46 year old Spider across country - Page 12 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 110Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 191 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:46 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobroker View Post
@divotandtralee

The car was driven a total of only 1,000 miles in ten years, so think it was the ethanol attracting water. The fuel system seemed to be well sealed, but maybe wetness can get through the tank vent system???
1,000 miles in ten years could be a problem, sealed or not. How about moisture/corrosion in the gearbox/differential/wheel bearings/ ......

Takes some guts to undertake this adventure, or craziness

Either way, hats off to autobroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 191 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Trip photo: Here I am fixing the fuel filter again! Looks like it was in Indiana, but maybe it was leaving Chicago. The sign for I90 Chicago/Rockford tells me it's Indiana or outside of Chicago.

Still early in the trip - my filter change shirt got a lot dirtier as the trip progressed! I actually got pretty good at changing the filter.

A nice sunset!
post #168 of 191 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930cabman View Post
1,000 miles in ten years could be a problem, sealed or not. How about moisture/corrosion in the gearbox/differential/wheel bearings/ ......

Takes some guts to undertake this adventure, or craziness

Either way, hats off to autobroker
Look at the receipts for the history. My car had 7500 miles in 11 years.. What the receipts told me were it had 745 of those miles in the last 7 of those 11 YEARS! That in itself isn't bad if he drove it 20 miles at a time frequently but if he never passed through a tank of gas in the summer (300 miles) there could be problems. My new gas tank was claimed to be caused from a tow operator but I know that was a fib and the SPICA shot craps.. But all is well now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #169 of 191 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
We found a really cool museum called Pioneer Auto Museum in Murdo, SD. We pulled off the freeway to get lunch and of course being a car guy, I was interested to see what this museum was all about. We had a nice big lunch, then a walk through the gift shop and then to the museum. When we were told there are 20 something buildings, I almost said no - we're on a schedule, right? Anyway, we decided to see the museum. After the first building, we stopped taking pictures. Lots and lots of cool stuff. From all eras and all tastes. Here's some pictures and brief descriptions.

1. BMW Isetta - door is the front of the car and steering wheel collapses to let the driver out. I first saw one of these in Chicago back around 1983 or so.
2. Messerschmidt - cool car that reminds me of a plane cockpit.
3. Dukes of Hazard - as a kid, I loved that big Charger.
4. Smokey and the Bandit - another car from my youth - what a cool Trans Am and he always got away from Smokey!
5. Wooden car? Yes, someone built this two engine beast.
6. I was amazed at the size and look of this big Gold Convertible.
7. Muscle cars! Plymouth Superbird, Dodge Viper, Pontiac GTO, GTO Judge, Mustang Shelby GT and Challenger R/T
8. Cindy playing around in a VW Microbus.
9 Barney Fife - tough guy!

We could've taken hundreds of pictures. There was so much to see. I recommend a stop to the museum. It's not your ordinary white glove place. Great for us motor heads!

Photos coming - this is full.
post #170 of 191 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
post #171 of 191 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
post #172 of 191 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:11 PM

What about Wall Drug? Free Popcorn .. Free Ice Water...Free Fresh Air ... Free Shade... Free Entry... Free Bumper Sticker...Free Wi-Fi .... I wanted to pummel someone by the time we arrived. And you missed the Corn Palace!!! Oh, you have to go back.
post #173 of 191 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Last from Pioneer in Murdo

Row of muscle cars.
Playing with Barney Fife
Hippie days in a Microbus
post #174 of 191 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
At our beautiful lodge K Bar S Lodge at Mt Rushmore! We pulled up to the parking lot at dusk and saw a deer in the driveway. I checked us in and they gave us a nice room for the night. Fire pit until 11:00 pm. Met a nice couple from North Dakota with their grandson. Headed off to bed for a great night's sleep. Breakfast on the patio in the morning, then off for our next adventure!

If you're at Mt Rushmore, the K Bar S is a really nice place to stay.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1973 Alfa Spider trip 0719 K Bar S Lodge at night Mr Rushmore.pdf (66.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf 1973 Alfa Spider trip 0719 K Bar S Lodge at the fire pit.pdf (59.0 KB, 16 views)
post #175 of 191 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
On the way to Mt Rushmore, we stopped by the tourist section. We had to see the beautiful wood carved statues - made with a chainsaw!

We saw the Borgum Story movie at the tourist stop - it was actually pretty good - if you're in the area, check it out. https://www.rushmoreborglum.com/
post #176 of 191 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
At Mt Rushmore. First time for both of us and we were amazed! The main walkway to the viewpoint was under construction, so we took the trail the the right and made our way up the stairs and ramps.

The bug was on my shirt, so I let it crawl on my finger - maybe not a good idea after I think about it.

The teepee on the way to the trail.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1973 Alfa Spider trip 0719 bug on my shirt at Mt Rushmore.pdf (240.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: pdf 1973 Alfa Spider trip 0719 bug on my finger Mt Rushmore.pdf (118.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: pdf 1973 Alfa Spider trip 0719 teepee at Mt Rushmore.pdf (139.9 KB, 16 views)
post #177 of 191 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally to the monument!

First picture from just past the teepee
Next picture next to the cottage - right where the trail starts
After quite a few steps and ramps, we were right under the monument!

It's hard to believe that this was carved out of granite!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1973 Alfa Spider trip 0719 Mt Rushmore from near the cottage.pdf (92.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: pdf 1973 Alfa Spider trip 0719 Mt Rushmore up close.pdf (122.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: pdf 1973 Alfa Spider trip 0719 Mt Rushmore just past the teepee.pdf (100.7 KB, 15 views)
post #178 of 191 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The drive from Mt Rushmore to Casper WY was nice. We took a cool mountain road south, then a bunch of small highways until we hit I80 and on the way to Casper WY. Stayed at a Super 8 Motel - okay place, clean and really nice people running it. Left Casper and headed out to Evanston WY.

On the way from Casper WY to Evanston WY. Another fuel filter clogged!

I think we may have changed a few between SD and Evanston.

At the Best Western Dunmar in Evanston, WY. They have a really neat stuffed animal display that includes a Grizzly bear, coyote, wolf, badgers, etc. That Grizzly is huge!

They provided a nice breakfast - we enjoyed it!

The sign on the swinging door to the bar had an awesome sign!

Then off to Elko NV!
post #179 of 191 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry, missed another fuel filter change somewhere in South Dakota or Wyoming, before we got to Casper.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1973 Alfa Spider trip 0719 fuel filter change in SD or Wyoming.pdf (93.9 KB, 27 views)
post #180 of 191 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:13 PM

Garage
Just replace the tank, it will be faster, cheaper and an absolute solution

https://www.centerlinealfa.com/catalog/gas-tank-spider

It’s not hard to get out and you won’t have to think about rust in the fuel ever again
Other rust you will always have to think about
divotandtralee likes this.

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...

Last edited by Craig_m67; 07-30-2019 at 04:18 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode