• 1 Post By Anfanuts
  • 5 Post By pinshaw
  • 2 Post By Dwatsonkc
  • 1 Post By Ranz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Petrolicious?????

Petrolicious website are now wanting to charge a membership fee to view their exclusive articles?

I’ve deleted them from my ‘Favourites’ and will go to Speedhunters.com for my car news

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - slightly modified!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 06:02 PM

Free content, get you hooked first, then introduce merch........ including silly coffee.
Then still can’t make business plan work, so charge membership.

1989 Alfa 75 3.0V6 America - 1971 Alfa Giulia 1300 GT Junior - 1989 Alfa 75 3.0V6 Veloce - 2016 Merc C220 Estate - 2010 Volvo XC60 D5 Polestar
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 07:45 AM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieandthemag View Post
Free content, get you hooked first, then introduce merch........ including silly coffee.
Then still can’t make business plan work, so charge membership.
Or sell your so-called private data and metadata. I'm sure some are on the verge of forming PACs or SuperPACs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:22 AM

The whole Petrolicious gig has always struck me as being a bit shallow. Maybe this is just my own bias showing, but when you have people who can't work on cars producing car-oriented shows it just seems that content suffers. My British neighbor has a great phrase for this: "Too precious".

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 10:21 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180OUT View Post
The whole Petrolicious gig has always struck me as being a bit shallow. Maybe this is just my own bias showing, but when you have people who can't work on cars producing car-oriented shows it just seems that content suffers.
Funny this conversation is taking place this week. Petrolicious latest edition had an article that really illustrates 180OUT's point; it's about a beautiful early 70's squaretail that Petrolicious calls a "Duetto": https://petrolicious.com/articles/ch...eid=89a7b43640

I rarely add my comments to articles like this, but calling a coda tronca a "Duetto" really set me off. Here's the reply the article's author posted:

On my instagram feed, I apologized for the misunderstanding happened. In Italy, we usually call “Duetto” the whole series of Alfa Romeo spiders and for this, mistakenly, I felt to give this opening to the article. Should not have done, considering how much this could have damaged my image and my professionalism in this world.

What amazed me was that no one else called the author on his gaffe. All the other comments were of the form "oh, what a wonderful article". Well, it was a nice article (and a beautiful spider) but getting the car's model name wrong just destroyed it for me.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 02-20-2019 at 10:26 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 02:17 PM

Well he could have spelled A-L-P-H-A for Alfa and R-O-D-E-O for Romeo. I've actually seen that happen.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 02:44 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
Funny this conversation is taking place this week. Petrolicious latest edition had an article that really illustrates 180OUT's point; it's about a beautiful early 70's squaretail that Petrolicious calls a "Duetto": https://petrolicious.com/articles/ch...eid=89a7b43640

I rarely add my comments to articles like this, but calling a coda tronca a "Duetto" really set me off. Here's the reply the article's author posted:

On my instagram feed, I apologized for the misunderstanding happened. In Italy, we usually call “Duetto” the whole series of Alfa Romeo spiders and for this, mistakenly, I felt to give this opening to the article. Should not have done, considering how much this could have damaged my image and my professionalism in this world.

What amazed me was that no one else called the author on his gaffe. All the other comments were of the form "oh, what a wonderful article". Well, it was a nice article (and a beautiful spider) but getting the car's model name wrong just destroyed it for me.
Jay, Euros have a slightly different vernacular for Alfas, be it accurate or not: any Giulia sedan is affectionaetly a "Giulia", any GTV is a "Bertone", and any 101/115 spider is a "duetto". We pick nits here on a duetto not being a 1750 but it being a "roundtail"/"boat tail" or 1750 Spider (techncally a 1750 Spider Veloce).
JCDK likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 03:26 PM

Garage
Dont get this post at all, not like they are discontinuing their free stuff, just trying to get membership money for added content
It costs money to make a movie n post it and I enjoy them and have enjoyed them for free since they started.
why give them **** for trying to offset costs? Seems shallow
n yea, some of it is off a little, but you get what you pay for.
Sounds like even thats too much for some of you.
cut em some slack

Peter Inshaw 59 Touring Spider 2.0, 63 Spider 1600, 67 GTV 1750, 67 Giulia Super Project, 73 Berlina TS, 91 Spider Veloce, 2018 Stelvio TI Sport
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 04:54 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfanuts View Post
Jay, Euros have a slightly different vernacular for Alfas, be it accurate or not: any Giulia sedan is affectionaetly a "Giulia", any GTV is a "Bertone", and any 101/115 spider is a "duetto". We pick nits here on a duetto not being a 1750 but it being a "roundtail"/"boat tail" or 1750 Spider (techncally a 1750 Spider Veloce).
OK, I've learned something.

Still, Google tells me that the word "vernacular" means: the language or dialect spoken by the ordinary people. I'd be OK with an non-car guy calling a squaretail Alfa a Duetto, but I expect an automotive journalist to adhere to a higher standard.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 05:15 PM

Garage
an as a moderator, you should be held to a higher standard.
should of stopped at "OK, I learned something."

come on guys lighten up
Alfas are for fun, right?
take a deep breath n let it go

Peter Inshaw 59 Touring Spider 2.0, 63 Spider 1600, 67 GTV 1750, 67 Giulia Super Project, 73 Berlina TS, 91 Spider Veloce, 2018 Stelvio TI Sport
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 06:25 PM

I have always enjoyed the content and writing. They do reach a larger audience than just the Alfa community, and they have many times provided more exposure to outsiders about Alfa’s.

I would guess that the demographics of their readers are a younger audience. I’m 51 and find it interesting, and I have many 30 something friends that do follow them. How many 20-30 yr olds read about alfa’s? Not as many as we would like...

We all need to support the younger generation keeping the history alive. In the world of Video games, if a format provides more exposure to the car community it’s a good thing. I have shown their videos many times to my 9 yr old and he loves them. He is upstairs playing videos games right now and my 3 yr old is watching Paw Patrol. Anything we can do to keep them involved in the passion we have helps. If that means some “fluff” so be it. We are in an entertainment world and I think they do a great job.

Having said all that, I won’t pay any extra. That is a business decision they have to make.

My 3 yr old last week.
Attached Images

Charlie DiMarco and Capp like this.

67 Super, 74 GTV, 17 Ducati Cafe Racer Scambler, 14 Ducati Monster, 1975 Trans Am, 1975 Honda CB360t Cafe Racer, 1971 Honda CB350 (future project) 09 Audi R8.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:12 PM

A number of years ago a story appeared about a young boy who was a piano prodigy. Something in his life happened and he spent decades in mental institutions---until someone discovered that he wasn't properly diagnosed and should not have spent a good portion of his life confined. On being released, he returned to playing the piano and even went on a world tour. The only problem was that he wasn't very good. Still, he continued giving performances until, finally, a critic made a fair, but very critical review of his playing.

When Petrolicious presents a video it is presenting a public performance which, in turn, invites critical comments both good and bad. While, like our hapless classical pianist, we can praise the fact that the videos are being made and are out there to be viewed, but there comes a time when its also time to say---perhaps because the producers of the videos lack the kind of in-depth knowledge we might expect to be present---that the content is ephemeral and lacking in substance. That said, I hope there's a place in the on-line marketplace for Petrolicious subscribed content. I just don't intend to be there.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:52 AM

It is apparent that many flash-sounding (Romance language, remember) Italian everyday words are adopted as a name for a particular thing, taken by the rest of us as a An Official Name.
In the Alfa world, witness (and my translations are amateurish and loose), such things like:
Strata - street
Corsa - track
Duetto - duet or duo/due (two)
Berlina - sedan
Berlinetta - small sedan
Veloce - speedy/fast

It's no surprise at all that locally, duetto is more broadly used to describe something than what WE have adopted as a bona-fide name for just a single model.

Bikes, too : Ducati Multistrada....guess what that means...?
Sounds much better to my ears than Audi's 'Allroad'.

I'm with the sentiment that the author shouldn't be nailed to the wall for speaking/writing like he would do in his own country.
I hear what 180out says about depth.
pinshaw likes this.

Last edited by Ranz; 02-22-2019 at 01:09 AM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:21 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
And the ever famous: "scalino" - fish scale - for a stepnose. A "Bertone" is either a scalino or not. And a "not" is either a series 1 or 2. It's just the locals/vernacular jargon.

Or the infamous - "ossodiseppia" - cuttlefish bone (cuttlebone) reserved only for roundtail "duettos".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode