Insurance - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Huzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Insurance

I was wondering how most of you register and insure your vintage Alfa? If the car is over 30 years old do you register it as an antique? Do you get classic car insurance or just add the car to your current policy?

Doug

Last edited by Dbaliko; 08-19-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 07:04 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
Every state & insurance company has their own rules so it'd be best to investigate your options locally. Note that most antique registrations will have restrictions about when & where you can drive your car.

Here in North Carolina, car insurance is not very expensive (at least compared to Massachusetts...) so I insure our Alfa's as 'regular' cars. This entails some risk on my part - should the car get badly damaged the insurance company may only cover it as an old, used car. There are options for declared value but investigate carefully as to how much they will actually pay out for a "total". I use Hagerty for my MGA - but it is a vintage race car (not streetable).

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 07:15 AM

Garage
Dbaliko: I purchased my Spider last September, and compared rates here in the Washington/Annapolis region between GEICO, State Farm and Hagerty. For my usage, and to ensure the car's replacement value, Hagerty was the best solution for me. As ghnl noted, rates in your area will dictate which approach works best. I'm in a very high rate area, so adding the Spider to my current insurance (GEICO) didn't make economic sense. Hagerty was easy to deal with online.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
@ghnl and @Eastportalfa - Thank you for the replies. I see your point on the registration. It’s probably better to register it as a normal car. This is going to be a weekend pleasure car for me. Not a daily driver. The thing that I’m more worried about is replacement value, and repairability. I’m afraid that if I use my current insurance company, which is Nationwide, and the car gets damaged or stolen, they will just treat it as a depreciating value used car. Where a Haggerty or Grundy would treat it as a collectible with agreed value insurance. And, while I don’t think of this car as an investment, values have been appreciating, so I would think that there is some financial risk to using my regular insurance company?

Doug

Last edited by Dbaliko; 08-19-2018 at 07:32 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 07:48 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
Discuss this with your local agent. And get any agreements in writing...

Hagerty was very easy to deal with. They responded quickly to emails (usually the same day if a business day) and answered all my questions. Heacock is another company that offers insurance for collector & classic cars. I've raced with Ford Heacock (he races a Porsche 356).

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 08:25 AM

Garage
I registered my 91 with regular NJ plates so there is no restrictions as to when and where
I can drive.
I also insured through Hagerty with a agreed replacement value for only $225

It would have been too much to insure through All State. Also, Vintage Car Insurance places
too many restrictions on when and where you can drive.

Hagerty all the way!
Tom Frasca likes this.

hz
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 08:38 AM

Garage
Hagerty insure us for full replacement value with small deductible, towing etc, $550 a year (I am in New York) Just added a 79 spyder under restoration, not registered for TEN ($10) dollars, insured right now for $9000.00 as work progresses it will be upgraded.Once registered estimated will be $225.

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 08:59 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I previously insured my Spider as a normal car. After my restoration, I looked into classic-car insurance with agreed value. For the same price, I was able to get agreed-value insurance that allows some general usage (but not daily driving).

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 10:20 AM

I use Hagerty because they agree upon the value and give you driving limitations. I tried using other companies and it is difficult to get a value of the car.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzz View Post
I registered my 91 with regular NJ plates
@Huzz Where in Jersey are you? I grew up in Fanwood in Union County. Still have lots of family up that way. A couple of family members also have houses on LBI, which is nice to have access to. :-)

Doug

Last edited by Dbaliko; 08-19-2018 at 01:28 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 10:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni123456 View Post
I use Hagerty because they agree upon the value and give you driving limitations. I tried using other companies and it is difficult to get a value of the car.
. Our policy allows for flexible usage, with no fixed mileage limits. No Track days and no "hot"pit @ track...unless I missing something??

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 11:21 AM

Hagerty requires a fully enclosed, lockable garage, which I don’t have, so I went with Safeco classic car policy for my 74 GTV

Jonathan
1974 GTV 2000 (ex-1992 Spider Veloce)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 01:13 PM

I have Hagerty for my Alfa and my Camaro, very easy to work with and super reasonable price. I pay for a year for BOTH cars what I was paying for 6 months on just the Camaro with Allstate. They may have different restrictions in different states but they did NOT require the cars be garaged in NY. The Camaro is garaged, the Alfa is not. They did ask though, I'd assume it may affect the rate slightly. There are also no real usage restrictions, but thats mainly because they won't even write you a policy unless you have other "normal" cars insured under a standard policy for you and the other drivers in your household. They told me specifically drive them wherever, as far as you want, take road trips, whatever, just don't let the car become your daily driver.

-RL; 1991 Alfa Romeo 164S, 2014 Mercedes Benz E350 4Matic, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 1995 Volkswagen Golf (Race Car)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 02:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to lgbalfa
I have used Grundy and never had an issue with them.

Thanks

1992 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia, 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 07:13 AM

and , IIRC in Texas its 25 years...both for classic and Antique...My friends here in Texas, most of them register as "Antique"....inspection every 5 years...I did on my 60 Alfa Giulietta, as it had no wipers ...couldnt register as classic....otherwise I always do :"classic" on my Spider, as I did on my Triumphs, my Studebaker, my Firebird....every year inspection, but its $14.50......with antique you get a rear plate only, can be Year Of Maunufacture YOM plate or Texas Historic/Antique plate...w Classic you need both front and rear, I only use rear (keep front plate in Trunk ..."as I had it on , bot "forgot" to re install after towing once)...nobody has stopped me for it...but w classic you can drive as much as you want, with "antique" , youre only SUPPOSED to drive to and from mechanic, to/from shows/meets and parades.....but many say youre on your way to a parade or meet all the time....so....
I think Im "more" legal with classic and forgetting front plate...lol

as for insurance I have Grundy, bought thru my regular insurance agent...IIRC its $230/year, full coverage....valued at $15k agreed value...I park in my locked garage, told them I drive 4,000 mi/year...not supposed to drive to work or grocery store...but sometimes I go on my "off day" to the office = not in "daily traffic"...and have stopped at grocery store (if youre on a cruise or such, you will often need to stop at a grocery store!)

1974 Spider (Dellorto carburated)
recent previously: 58 Giulietta, 69 Firebird 400 convertible, 71 TR6, 68 GT6

Last edited by Bjorn S; 08-24-2018 at 07:24 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode