Bertone Cancer Car In Doubt - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Bertone Cancer Car In Doubt...YOU CAN HELP!

by Gary Kaberle, former owner of the B.A.T. 9, and co-innovator and promoter of the B.A.T. 11.

18 February 2008

As we all wait for the famous Italian car styling company Bertone to decide whether or not the B.A.T. 11 concept car will debut at the Geneva Auto Show March 4-16th, I want to release a message of support. The new era B.A.T. 11 is painted and nearly ready for travel to Geneva now.

The B.A.T. 11 was a concept that I came up with to honor two of the most important parts of my life: my wife, Debbie, and the B.A.T. heritage, which when I bought the B.A.T. 9 when I was a 17 year old kid in 1963, was endangered as it is again today. As many automotive aficionados know, I spent the next 28 years restoring and showing the B.A.T. 9. During that time, I became an expert about this extraordinary line of vehicles, and a friend to many of those responsible for creating the original three B.A.T.’s.

As special as the B.A.T.’s were -- and the B.A.T. 9 was to me -- the B.A.T. 11 is far more important. In 1990, Deb, my wife of 12 years by then and the mother our children, was diagnosed with breast cancer. She was told the cancer already had metastasized. Like so many women who face this disease, she was devastated by the diagnosis, but determined to fight. As she faced a certain death sentence, we learned of important new but experimental treatments being offered through the National Institute of Health. They were Deb’s only hope -- but they also cost a small fortune. There was only one way we could pay for them -- for Deb’s very survival.

I sold the B.A.T. 9.

Deb lived another two precious years we never will forget. As I struggled through my mourning -- which continues -- I pondered a way to help women avoid Deb’s fate. And that’s when the idea of the B.A.T. 11 came about.

What if the B.A.T. line was revived -- combining the revered heritage of these vehicles with an exciting new line of B.A.T. cars, equal in aerodynamic beauty but with 21st century technology? And if such a car could be built, and shown around the world, what if I could use that to bring awareness about breast cancer? I call it ‘Dreams and Design for a Cure.’

I began to think about designing and building such a car. But, while my passion and knowledge about B.A.T.’s was formidable, this was my quest, and I wouldn’t give up. Deb wouldn’t have wanted me to. I needed help. I knew the only people to talk to where those at Bertone. I went to Italy, we talked, and the B.A.T. 11 car began in earnest and faster than I ever expected. Alfa Romeo was set to provide a marquee and possibly a chassis as well.

I know certain forces have put into question a final decision on the display of the B.A.T. 11 in Geneva. I do not take sides and I do not judge. But I hope that ultimately the force of faith, hope and survival prevail -- that breast cancer can be prevented and one day healed -- prevails in this controversy. I hope this message of support for all of those who have worked to make this car a reality helps bring the B.A.T. 11 to Geneva and to the rest of the world.
--Gary Kaberle
----------------------------------------
Members of the AR1900 Register and other friends sympathetic to the cause may support Gary’s quest by emailing [email protected] to say they would like to see B.A.T. 11 appear at the Geneva Show.
Attached Images

Last edited by technobob; 02-20-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 07:20 AM
Gold Subscriber

Impressive and moving story.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by technobob View Post
by Gary Kaberle, former owner of the B.A.T. 9, and co-innovator and promoter of the B.A.T. 11.

18 February 2008

-snip-

I know certain forces have put into question a final decision on the display of the B.A.T. 11 in Geneva. I do not take sides and I do not judge. But I hope that ultimately the force of faith, hope and survival prevail -- that breast cancer can be prevented and one day healed -- prevails in this controversy. I hope this message of support for all of those who have worked to make this car a reality helps bring the B.A.T. 11 to Geneva and to the rest of the world. --Gary Kaberle,

May God Bless all of your efforts.

Respectfully,

Robert

1981 Alfa Romeo Spider 2000 USA
1968 Ford Fairlane
2014 Ford Flex

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Platinum Subscriber

It will be great if this car makes it to Geneva, and if Bertone can work out its troubles so it they can keep pushing the design envelope. And if it can raise awareness of the need for more work for a cure, so much the better!

At first I didn't understand why art and cancer-cure advocacy go together, but eventually I got it--It's about imagination: We need to be able to imagine a world without cancer so that we can make it happen.

Good luck, Gary!

'58 Giulietta spider
'71 GTjr (under construction)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Cancer Car...You Can Help!

Members of the Alfa BB, AR1900 Register and other friends sympathetic to the cause may support Gary’s quest by emailing [email protected] to say they would like to see B.A.T. 11 appear at the Geneva Show.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 08:20 AM

Thanks for this thread, Bob. I sent an e-mail, as well. I hope that Gary's wish and fabulous design receive the support they deserve.

Best regards,

Enrique
[SIZE="1"]Spider 74, 84 & 87
Milano 88 Verde
164 91S, 93L & 95Q[/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][I][COLOR="Green"]Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE]
[B][FONT="Verdana"][RIGHT]DARKSIDE MEMBER[/RIGHT][/FONT][/B]
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your support, folks, it'll mean a lot to Gary. He's worked hard on this project for several years and to see it possibly come crashing down around him at the very last minute is heartbreaking.

Hopefully many more Alfisti will click on the link at the bottom of Post #1 and send messages to the show organizers to give BAT 11 a chance!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via Yahoo to araknd Send a message via Skype™ to araknd
You go, Gary! I have responded myself and forwarded the link to this forum to my Alfisti friends also. I will also be posting to the arocsd.org website.

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Lance
[I]Alfa Romeo Sempre il Primo[/I]
[COLOR="Red"]1982 GTV6 Balocco (Margherita)
2015 Fiat 500 Abarth (Vitaley)
[/COLOR]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Black"]1982 GTV6 (gave his life for Margherita)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="black"]1977 Alfetta Sedan(sold and driven into the ground)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]1982 Spider Veloce (sold)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="red"]1986 Spider Quadrifolio (sold)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Green"]1991 164L (transferred to a good home)[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Bertone to show BAT-11 concept in Geneva!

This snippet just in from the newsletter Automotive News Europe -- In-depth coverage of the European automotive industry with special features for subscribers:

"Bertone plans to unveil a concept car in Geneva Tuesday (March 4), but not at the auto show in the Palexpo. “We will unveil the B.A.T. 11 in a nice location in the city of Geneva,” said Stile Bertone Vice Chairman Marie-Jeanne Bertone." (That's all I could get without a paid subscription.)

A HUGE "thank-you" to all who may have emailed the show organizers on Gary's behalf and perhaps played apart in making this happen!

7:24 EDT, my son forwarded this photo of one slick concept:
Attached Images

Last edited by technobob; 03-03-2008 at 04:24 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 07:20 PM

So was the car shown? Any other pictures? Any follow-up would be appreciated.

Will
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via Yahoo to araknd Send a message via Skype™ to araknd
Bertone Cancer B.A.T

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged1 View Post
So was the car shown? Any other pictures? Any follow-up would be appreciated.

Will
Yes. See this article further down in this forum.
Geneva 2008: Bertone B.A.T. 11's clandestine debut

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Lance
[I]Alfa Romeo Sempre il Primo[/I]
[COLOR="Red"]1982 GTV6 Balocco (Margherita)
2015 Fiat 500 Abarth (Vitaley)
[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Black"]1982 GTV6 (gave his life for Margherita)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="black"]1977 Alfetta Sedan(sold and driven into the ground)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]1982 Spider Veloce (sold)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="red"]1986 Spider Quadrifolio (sold)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Green"]1991 164L (transferred to a good home)[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 05:31 AM
Gold Subscriber

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALDI View Post
Wow, that's a great link, Maldi...thanks for the followup! Your posting prompted me to look for more links and I found these as well:

Car Design News - Bertone BAT 11

Technorati: Discussion about “Geneva 2008: Bertone B.A.T. 11's clandestine debut”

Stile Bertone unveils the B.A.T. 11
Attached Images

Last edited by technobob; 03-09-2008 at 12:50 PM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 04:27 AM
Admin
Administrator

So does anyone have news on the car making it to Geneva?

Most of the reported news is pretty vague.

Simon Mestas
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 04:58 AM
Gold Subscriber

From the link I posted above:

The car looked absolutely fantastic last night, possibly the coolest car in Geneva, partly because it wasn’t actually at the show.

You see it was displayed at the Le SIP bar in downtown Geneva, a kind of dirty converted warehouse that looked like the venue for an illegal rave rather than the launch venue of the most important car in Bertone’s history...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode