Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Alfa Romeo Cycling Jersey

39K views 187 replies 44 participants last post by  BobG 
#1 ·
There have been sporadic threads about making Alfa Romeo themed cycling jerseys. I just got back into cycling and I want to make this happen.

My daughter is a graphic artist and there are lots of online vendors that can do this. We will most likely need at least 10 jerseys ordered to make the costs reasonable.

I have some neat ideas for this project.

Please PM me if you are interested.

LET'S DO THIS!

Dan

#2 ·
I am still interested.

A short version of the project tasks:
  • Obtain/create vector artwork. (Photos do not qualify.)
  • Research vendors, including their options and setup costs.
  • Design jersey, taking note of those extra costs
  • Get rough count of jerseys to order.
  • Pick a vendor.
The other Alfa-Cycling-Jerseys thread included info on artwork and vendors. Personally, I'd like a design that includes both the round logo and the Alfa Romeo script.

I can assist, but am not the person to do the design, though I too have a daughter with good visual design sense and skills.

FYI While in Italy last month I looked for Alfa jerseys in bike shops and found none. I asked people in the shops and they said they had never seen any. (You can find Ferrari merchandise everywhere, though didn't see any Ferrari bike jerseys.)

#3 ·
I have both Alfa cycle nicks and jersey in red, with the Alfa Emblem and script. I can take a photo of what I have and post, if anyone is interested.

They were made some years ago, here in Aus, as there are some guys on the AROCA Forum who are keen cyclisti, and as one myself, I just had to order a set. I still use them.

#6 ·
Okay everyone,

I have the artist working on the artwork. Am looking at two vendors, Podiumwear and Castelli.

Podiumwear has a selection of 3 jerseys, differentiated mostly on how they fit. Their Bronze is a "club fit", the Silver is "american race fit", and the Gold is "euro race fit". The only way to check the fit is by their size chart. They are made in Minnesota. They have no charges for artwork. They also have a team storefront which allows you to order directly from them ( that would protect you and I from "money issues". They would however ship them all to me so I would have to add in the price of shipping the individual orders to you to the total price. Pricing would probably be in the $75-80 range for the Bronze, $15 more for Silver, $30 more for Gold. They can mix mens and womens in the same order.

Castelli is a premium italian brand and they have a race fit. My local bike shop just made their own jersey through them and the fit is tight through the armpits UNTIL you get into a riding position, then it is really nice. I don't think they have a storefront. But being one of the largest brands you could find a local dealer and try on jerseys there to check your fit. Pricing would probably be in the $90 range. They cannot mix womens and mens so any women would have to find a corresponding mens size.

I will only work on a short sleeve jersey. We have to figure out what "cut" we want: relaxed club fit or one of the tighter race fits. And we have to decide if we want a 3/4 zipper or a full zipper. Lots of people prefer a full zipper for ease of putting it on and taking off. But the 3/4 zipper is "hidden" and would affect the design less.

Hopefully I will have a design example soon.

Post to this thread your thoughts!

Dan

#8 ·
Okay everyone,

[...]

I will only work on a short sleeve jersey. We have to figure out what "cut" we want: relaxed club fit or one of the tighter race fits. And we have to decide if we want a 3/4 zipper or a full zipper. Lots of people prefer a full zipper for ease of putting it on and taking off. But the 3/4 zipper is "hidden" and would affect the design less.

Hopefully I will have a design example soon.

Post to this thread your thoughts!

Dan
Short sleeve is perfect. Relaxed fit works better for me. Never had anything but a full zipper, but am open to 3/4 so long as I can get it over my head and shoulders.

Thanks for making this happen.

#7 ·
Clarification:

Castelli DOES offer a storefront for teams ( i guess we are a team now!). They function the same way: I am the manager of the "team", I send each member a link for all ordering. They send the order to me and I distribute. Castelli offers a team fit (tight race) and a training fit (slightly more relaxed). If we choose them I believe the training fit is what we would go for.

As far as the prices are concerned, quality cycling jerseys are not inexpensive. Most generic are in the $50-80 range, custom more. The good thing is that they should last a long time with care.

Dan

#10 ·
Let me restate

Podium wear has 3/4 or full zipper AND can mix womens jerseys in with men. Looser fit available for a little less

Castelli is full zip only and tighter fit (although not a full tight race fit). We would need 10 womens ordered to get womens sizes.

Sooooooo, it looks like we will probably want to go with podium wear so we can get some ladies jerseys. Next two decisions are the zipper and the fit.

Chime in everyone !

Dan

#11 ·
I'm in for 2 of them! Let me know!

Good work so far!

I have the warehouse for Canari just a few miles away from my house. I may be able to see how easy it would be there too. But it's nowhere near Italian or the quality of Castelli. Just a thought.

#12 ·
Cycling caps !

New idea,

Is anyone interested in a matching cycling cap ? can be classic cotton or moisture wicking fabric. This is a third vendor that specializes in caps, and does jerseys too. They even have a jersey/cap combo. they have a small artwork charge but waive it for the caps if ordered as a combo.

It may not be worth it to do just a few since the caps would probably cost close to $30, but if everyone wants a cap the combo deal would cut the cap cost in half I think. Still have to talk to them to see if the numbers add up.

Lemme know !!

#51 ·
Re Jerseys (Joisees in NY)

New idea,

Is anyone interested in a matching cycling cap ? can be classic cotton or moisture wicking fabric. This is a third vendor that specializes in caps, and does jerseys too. They even have a jersey/cap combo. they have a small artwork charge but waive it for the caps if ordered as a combo.

It may not be worth it to do just a few since the caps would probably cost close to $30, but if everyone wants a cap the combo deal would cut the cap cost in half I think. Still have to talk to them to see if the numbers add up.

Lemme know !!
Got back into road bikes a few years back only to find that my 25 year old emerald green shorts no longet fit. Go figure,
Looking for new stuff and wow, expensive.
Found a decent seller from California. Look up kbcyclewerks.com
My jerseys, un branded (except their logo) averaged $20 and shorts about the same price. ll fine as I DO NOT like to wear fake cycling event jerseys... except for one NY event I picked up at a used cycle clothing shop in our hippie area. (Toronto)
Granted, the really nice Italian jerseys are cool looking but costs will get out of hand once artwork is factored in if not carefully done.
These jerseys are made in Pakistan.
No, I do not work for them.

Thanks.

Peter
Beeton, Ontario

#13 ·
I'm in if I like the finished product.

I prefer:
NO DARK COLORS - I prefer to be seen.
3/4 zip,
Three pockets,
Tighter fit (flapping fabrics just slow you down),
Short, raglan sleeves,
Summer fabric (it's hot down here).

Design wise I'd prefer the older logo with "Milano" at the bottom.

Also, maybe you could get a few vendors to act a team sponsors and have their names on the jerseys. A small contribution from the vendors would help with the individual cost.

BTW, here's my ride for the last 10 years, just upgraded to 11 speed Campy Athena.
Land vehicle Bicycle Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle part

#16 ·
re: Cycling Caps

Cap is a maybe for me. A picture of the cap would be helpful. For sporting endeavors I prefer moisture wicking fabric.

(Reaffirming that I am in for at least one jersey. Once you select a vendor and style I will determine size based on vendor's sizing chart.)

#17 ·
Update.
Met with graphic artist today. Should have a rendering in a week or so. It will NOT be bright red with the full alfa logo. Think 155 DTM.

No interest in caps so dropping that suggestion.

Things will need to be decided. Club cut is the loosest fit and the least expensive option. I am trying to hold the line at around $75 to cover the shipping from me to you and to pay the artist for her time. Team fit will be about $15 more.

The other thing to figure out will be the zipper length. The full zip is popular on the tighter jerseys for the ease on getting on and off. but the 3/4 zip is a hidden style which has minimal effect on the graphics.

I have no strong opinion on the cut, but i do like that the 3/4 zip will avoid a big white or black stripe down the front.

Do we need to do an official poll?

Dan

#18 ·
Never had a 3/4 zip before, but am willing to give it a try based on aesthetics.

Am more concerned about sizing. Slim stuff never fits me.

#19 ·
3/4 zip is fine with me. One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is not having any elastic on the sleeves or at least minimal. I hate short sleeves that try to ride up the arms. Of course I'm really tall so I am at a disadvantage to begin with!

#21 ·
More news

Spoke with vendor this afternoon.

We will be going for the "Bronze" jersey, 3/4 hidden zipper. We are only ordering jerseys: no shorts, jackets, arm warmers.

The reason for this is that it will have the widest possible fit possibility for all who ae interested. There is no elastic in the sleeve cuff. The fit is close but NOT tight. He said it doesn't flap in the breeze. The guy said it is most akin to a "club" or "charity ride" fit.

The 3/4 zipper is very close to a full zip as far as ventilation, but being hidden style it will not impact the graphic. Again, having the expertise of the vendor at our disposal is helpful.

As far as size: there is a size chart which I will publish. Additionally they will be sending me a selection of sample jerseys to test out the sizes. Myself, one of my riding buddies, and my daughters will try them on and let you know our measurements and how they fit. I think that should be sufficient to give everyone an idea of how the sizes run.

We talked about the storefront for ordering. They have an option which I think is awesome. Instead of me having to figure out ordering and shipping and logistics, there will be a simple $9 charge on top of the cost of the jersey and it will be drop-shipped straight to your door. No money hassles, no mixups. Just order, pay, receive ! I believe the only additional charge might be sales tax if you are in Minnesota.

I will post the artists rendering as soon as possible.

Can we get a possible count of those interested again ?

Thanks,

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.