Collector Car Insurance - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Collector Car Insurance

Thought I'd pass on a GOOD car insurance experience. I've had MetLife collector car coverage on my GTV for about 20 years, through Condon & Skelly, a big east coast agent for MetLife. They keep east coast hours, do not use e-mail, and have no telephone voice mail. In other words, they don't make it easy to communicate. Still, the price was right.

We were gone for a month and during that time my coverage lapsed. I called and asked to pay by phone. They can't do it. I asked if I was still covered if I put a check in the mail immediately and couldn't get a straight answer.

Frustrated, I decided to check out Hagerty Collector Car Insurance. It took about five minutes to get a telephone quote, pay with a credit card, and get a temporary insurance binder. Now that's what I call service!

Goodbye MetLife, hello Hagerty.

There's no point sharing the premium I paid, your cost will depend on the value you place on your car and the insurance limits you choose.

Just know that collector car coverage is generally a fraction of the cost of regular auto insurance. Another key benefit of collector car insurance is the ability to select a value that's appropriate for your car. With regular insurance, value is determined by the insurance company, not you. They generally do not take into account what you've done to the car, so you stand to lose big time if the car is in an accident.

I also like knowing that Hagerty doesn't strictly limit annual mileage, as some collector car insurance companies do. They don't cover daily drivers and work vehicles, but none of the collector car companies do.

Gary Williams
Washington State
'67 GTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 10:37 AM

Garage
Thanks for the tip! I'm currently with Infinity, but they have a 5,000 mile limit.

[B]'91 Spider Veloce[/B]

[I]"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do."[/I] - Mark Twain
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 11:41 AM

Yup, Hagerty called me when mine lapsed and wanted to know if I still wanted coverage. I had been trying to pay online, but there was a problem with my online ID, and I hadn't been able to call in yet. I paid over the phone and everything was good.

I still don't know what they'll be like after an incident with the car, but at least they're ok so far.

Current:
74 GTV
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:
88 Milano Verde
78 Alfetta Sedan
87 Milano Verde
70 GT Jr. 1300

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 11:54 AM

I've had good luck (but then again have submitted no claims ) with American Collectors Insurance in NJ. Been with them for 15 yrs or so. No mileage limit and cars cannot be used as daily drivers.

Loud pipes save lives.

1973 GTV - bought 3/06, intend to keep forever
1969 GTV, #AR1530021 - sold 10/72, guess didn't intend to keep forever
Current project: '69 Corvette bought in '73, DD '73 - '80, in storage 1989-2002, now apart
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 04:56 PM

I'm happy with Hagerty's service, but haven't made any claims.

Bill / 1977 Alfa Romeo 4C2000 / 2012 BMW S1000RR / 1975 BMW R90/6
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 06:00 PM

Not so impressed with Haggarty

I used to have Haggarty for collector's insurance for about three years. Then I had a claim on one of my cars due to a defective suspension component. (This defective part was well-documented through the parts vendors very soon thereafter) The claim was less than $1k, with no injuries. Haggarty approved me doing the repairs, as there were undisclosed issues between Haggarty and my preferred mechanic. After the claim, I submitted photos of the repairs to Haggarty.

One year later, I was notified that Haggarty would not be renewing the policy. When pressed, they said it was for non-submission of documents relating to my claim. It turned out that they had not INTERNALLY forwarded the photos and documents between divisions. By the time they got their act together and found the missing documents, their underwriting division was still unwilling to renew the policy. This despite that I had had no tickets and only one claim for vandalism on a daily driver with another insurance carrier, in over 15 years. I was so disgusted with their behavior, I switched companies.

Your mileage may vary.

I sell homes for car enthusiasts!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 02:40 PM

Garage
PWC,

Who did you end up with?

It is that time of year again and I am shopping around. Currently with Parish-Heacock underwritten by Infinity (parent company of Great American Ins)

No complaints - but no claims made.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 02:47 PM

We have all our cars insured with Hagerty. I added another car with them over the weekend and it was just as easy as always.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 03:04 PM

Hagerty has me happy so far.
Agreed value and a very resonable price... under a third what AAA had me paying before!

Red 1974 Spider (Restoring!)

Blue 1974 Spider (Sold 12/2016)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 06:22 PM

I've had J.C. Taylor for years with no problems. A friend had a claim with them and they took care of it promptly. Also, althou they have a 2500 mile a year limit (which I could never reach!!!) , they have never asked for the odometer reading on any of my cars.

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Gold Subscriber

I've been with American Collectors for 20 years...had one claim a long time ago and they took good care of me.

Pat Padden
'74 GTV - owned since '92
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 04:36 AM

Garage
I've used Condon and Skelly for about 16-17 years now, had 2 claims within 3 years with 2 different cars and had no problems at all with them. Premiums stayed the same and all. They do have a 2500 mile limit but I have 3-4 cars at most times so mileage is not a problem. Peter.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 06:40 AM

After several calls, Safeco was the leaset. No milage limit, declared value, not a daily driver.

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Larry the Cable Guy
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 07:32 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I have the same insurance on my '76 autocross car. I wanted stated value and they had no problem with this. I went to Parish Heacock after reading the fine print on another specialty car insurance company; they had a requirement that you certified the car would not be used in any form of speed or timed events (Racing, Autocross or Time Trials). I couldn't provide pictures of a car with a roll bar, wide tires, fender flares and 5 point harness and then certify it wouldn't be used for some of the "forbidden" events. Parish Heacock had no problem with this, but naturally do not cover the car during an event. As with Balocco211, no complaints but no claims made...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balocco211 View Post
.... Currently with Parish-Heacock underwritten by Infinity (parent company of Great American Ins)

No complaints - but no claims made.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balocco211 View Post
PWC,
Who did you end up with?
I haven't gone back to carrying a collector's policy. I was able to negotiate a package with my regular insurance carrier to cover all my cars for the past couple of years since the incident. Perhaps not the cheapest route, but it has given me the most comprehensive customer service on other insurance issues by keeping everything under one corporate roof.

Come this spring, I'll be starting a new business, so my entire insurance profile will change, and I'll re-investigate the possibilities.

I sell homes for car enthusiasts!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode