AutoWeek: Uncork the Chianti! - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

AutoWeek: Uncork the Chianti!

AutoWeek (July 17, 2006) pages 4 - 6. In this 3 page article (with plenty of good photos) author Greg Kable confirms Alfa Romeo's return to the U.S., provides a discussioin on U.S. prospects and includes a FIRST DRIVE experience.

THE UNITED STATES OF ALFA
UNCORK THE CHIANTI!
ITALIAN AUTOMAKE ALFA ROMEO RETURNING TO THE U.S. IN 2009

Quote:
Alfa Romeo has confirmed it is preparing a high-stakes return to the North American market after more than a decade’s absence. A trio of contemporary new models will lead the charge.

Although not officially due to go on sale here until the end of 2009 (coinciding with the company’s 100th anniversary in 2010), the new Alfa Romeo lineup is well on the way to fruition, having already been launched in Europe in the past 12 months. Engineering work is now under way at home and in the U.S. to make the cars fit for North American sale, a task Alfa Romeo officials say is a mere formality given that all three models were developed with U.S. safety and emission regulations in mind.

Among the new models the Italian carmaker has earmarked for North America are facelifted versions of the one-year-old 159 sedan, as well the recently launched Brera coupe and Spider convertible. Alfa especially likes the Spider’s chances, given its link with the Duetto, which rose to prominence starring alongside Anne Bancroft and Dustin Hoffman in the popular 1967 movie The Graduate.

Each model coming stateside is based on Alfa Romeo’s new Premium platform (a modular structure developed with General Motors’ Saab division). The chassis supports front- and four-wheel drive, and is engineered to conform to North American crash regulations.

“We knew when we first drew up plans for the 159, Brera and Spider that they would likely head to North America, so we undertook the necessary engineering to ensure they would meet any existing and future standards from the outset,” says Alfa Romeo spokesman Richard Gadeselli.

Gadeselli confirms fine-tuning is taking place before the cars gain U.S. certification, which is why Alfa Romeo’s return to North America is being timed to coincide with the appearance of facelifted versions of the 159, Brera and Spider in 2009 rather than now. The delay also gives Alfa Romeo time to launch the promised performance-oriented GTA versions of each model, providing it with a potentially larger lineup.

Alfa Romeo isn’t divulging detailed specifications, although Gadeselli hints that both the 2.2-liter four-cylinder front-wheel-drive and 3.2-liter V6 four-wheel-drive versions of each model will be sold here. Depending on how diesel sales progress in coming years, there may also be a 2.4-liter five-cylinder turbodiesel in the 159.

By concentrating its efforts on just three models sharing the same basic platform and driveline architecture, Alfa Romeo is clearly seeking to contain costs. Success in North America could help fund crucial new models, such as a production version of its well-received Kamal concept car wheeled out at the 2003 Geneva motor show as well as a crossover to replace the discontinued 166. A new entry-level model, codenamed Racer and positioned beneath the European market 147, was also recently under consideration but may be abandoned, according to AutoWeek sources.

The decision to return Alfa Romeo to the North American market stems from a strategic plan laid out by parent company Fiat, which aims for a close alignment with Maserati. The plan calls for Alfa Romeo and Maserati to develop new models using common components to lower costs, speed development and improve profitability.

Under an earlier plan, Maserati was aligned with Ferrari, but that was abandoned last year when it became apparent that developing Maserati models to the same standards used at Ferrari proved too expensive for Maserati’s volume ambitions. By grouping Alfa Romeo and Maserati together, Fiat hopes to have finally found a complementary pairing.

To cost-effectively reestablish Alfa Romeo’s sales and service presence, officials have already struck a deal with the Maserati dealer network in North America that will see the 159, Brera and Spider sold alongside the Quattroporte as well as next year’s replacement for the Maserati Coupe and Spyder and a new entry-level Maserati sedan to take on the BMW M5.

The deal calls for an initial 50-strong network concentrated around large cities, although Gadeselli indicates this is likely to grow in both numbers and coverage as awareness of the Alfa Romeo brand increases.

“We’re under no illusion. The North American market is the toughest car market in the world. But it is also the largest in terms of volume. Alfa Romeo can no longer afford not to be represented there,” Gadeselli says. “We’re convinced there is potential for Alfa Romeo and we are determined to succeed.”

ALFA ROMEO'S U.S. PROSPECTS
Quote:
Alfa Romeo's reentry into the U.S. market will start with three-car push: 159, Brera and Spider. The lineup will remain unchanged until early in the next decade when, according to sources at parent company Fiat, Alfa Romeo may diversty with three more models that already exist as styling proposals at Alfa Romeo's design headquarters in Turin: Kamal, Racer and 169.

HERE IS WHAT'S IN STORE
159-Facelifted version of current model arrives in U.S. in late 2009. All new: 2012
Brera-Facelifted version of current model arrives in the United States in late 2009. All new: 2013
Spider-Facelifted version of all-new model (see the article's sidebar) arrives in the United States in late 2009. All new: 2013
Kamal-Compact SUV inpsired by the Kamal concept goes up againt the BMW X3 in 2011.
Sprint-Future uncertain for entry-level coupe seen as a spiritual successor to the Alfa Sud Sprint, developed under the internal codename Racer. Earliest arrival: 2011
169-Crossover replacement for recently discontinued 166 due in 2012
147-Entry-level model currently not planned for sale in North America

FOR FUTURE U.S. SALE
FIRST DRIVE > SPIDER LEADS ALFA ROMEO'S CHARGE INTO THE U.S. MARKET
Quote:
It’s safe to say that when Alfa Romeo returns to the North American market in 2009, much of the attention will be focused on one car—the all-new Spider. No other model in the Italian carmaker’s 94-year history has made such an impact stateside as Alfa Romeo’s classic open top, affectionately known as the Duetto owing to its traditional two-seat layout.

The latest Spider, unveiled at the Geneva motor show in February and heading into European showrooms now, forms part of an impressive three-model revival strategy Alfa Romeo is banking on to re-establish its operations in North America.

On the strength of its svelte appearance alone, the new two-door is sure to win over buyers seeking something out of the ordinary. The look is thoroughly modern but unmistakably Alfa Romeo. Sharing its wedgy front-end with the Giugiaro-designed Brera, including a distinctive heart-shaped grille and a sextet of small round headlamps peering out from beneath the leading edge of the hood, it is one seriously sexy car, with a design lineage harking back to the Giulietta Spider of the ’50s. As with that car, the new Spider’s rear end, with its kicked up haunches and gently sloping trunk line, was penned by Pininfarina, which also developed its stylish cloth roof. Pininfarina even assembles Alfa Romeo’s latest model on the same line as the Brera coupe at its plant in northern Italy. Spider and Brera share the same mechanical package and are built on a shortened version of the 159 chassis.

Quality is one hurdle Alfa Romeo shouldn’t have to worry about with the new Spider. The car offers an impressive level of fit and finish, the paint has a rich luster, the panel gaps are even, the doors shut with a satisfying sound, the interior imparts a solid feel and the multi-layer roof motors into place at the push of a button with all the precision of considerably pricier open-top offerings.

It’s not perfect, though. With the roof up, rearward visibility is poor, although large side mirrors sprouting from the top of the doors help compensate for this shortcoming. Trunk capacity is limited, but two lockable bins located behind the seats help make up for the dearth of luggage capacity.

In modifying the Brera to create the Spider, Alfa Romeo added a series of steel reinforcements that add about 130 pounds to the car, most of it concentrated in the rear bulkhead and door sills.

It’s not a huge burden for the range-topping 3.2-liter V6, which delivers a solid 260 hp and 237 lb-ft of torque, but the 2.2-liter, 185-hp, 170-lb-ft four-cylinder is always working hard to carry the extra load. Alfa Romeo claims 0-62 mph in 8.8 seconds and a 135-mph top speed for the four-cylinder—not exactly the sort of performance that’s going to worry the competition.

In typical Alfa Romeo fashion, however, the four-cylinder is a true entertainer, combining crisp response, linear delivery and a lovely exhaust note when worked hard. Still, the lack of torque means constant gear changes are necessary to keep running with any real enthusiasm.

While it lacks for outright pace, the base Spider handles with typical Alfa Romeo aplomb. The suspension (double wishbone front and multi-link rear) is agile and the steering is highly responsive. The ride is reasonable by open-top standards, but even with a 25 percent improvement in rigidity over its predecessor, the new Spider is prone to flexing on anything but smooth roads.

The V6 punches the Spider out of corners with greater gusto and helps it achieve 0-62 mph in 7.0 seconds and a top speed of 146 mph. It also sounds terrific, with a deep baritone exhaust note under full throttle. But handling is clearly affected by the heavier engine sitting up front. The steering remains direct but comes with an off-center numbness not evident in the entry-level model.

The flagship V6 Spider feels more at home as a cruiser—a car that’s far better loping along at a brisk rate on the highway than being whipped into a frenzy over challenging back roads. That may be what many U.S. buyers will be seeking when the Italian drop-top goes on sale here in little more than three years.
A few images: 147, 159, 166 and the Kamal Concept
Attached Images

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"][B]I may not have ended up where I intended to go,
but I know I've ended up where I'm intended to be.
...[I]Douglas Adams[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Last edited by RedSpider; 07-17-2006 at 10:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Can't forget the Brera and Spider...
Attached Images

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 05:37 PM

I finally got around to reading my mail, and just about fell over when my Autoweek had the story of Alfa's return to the USA.

If the facelifted models are anywhere close to what the current models are, they will be great. I'm no big fan of front wheel drive, but if it's all they bring over, along with all wheel drive, that will be all right.

As far as pricing, we will have to wait and see. I think Alfa will be proud of these cars and price them accordingly, if you catch my drift.

This news will be a shot in the arm for AROC-USA, it will surely bring in new members. And younger ones at that.

Keep your fingers crossed that these events will come to pass.

Jim W.
1991 Spider (Owned Since Columbus Day, 1992)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

In Autoweek, July 31, 2006 issue on page 8 they update their previous article shown in threads above:

Quote:
ALFA ALERT
This just in, following our recent report on Alfa Romeo's plans to return to the United States ("The United States of Alfa," July 17): Alfa's lead entry in the market may be the limited-edition $200,000 8C Competizione coupe. According to our sister paper Automotive News, the flagship based on a shorttened Maserati Coupe and running the Maserati's same 4.2-liter, 400-hp V8 could arrive in late 2008, followed by a ragtop version in 2009. In 2009 or 2010 ALfa plans to begin offering a range of lower-priced models, including the 159, Brera and Spider.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 09:53 AM

Who (or what) do I have to sacrifice to make Alfa's return a certainty?

[SIZE="1"]Italian cars once owned:

1983 Fiat X1/9
1992 Alfa Spyder Veloce
1976 Lancia Beta
1985 Alfa GTV-6
1976 Lancia Scorpion
1976 Alfa GTV 2.0
1976 Fiat 128
1992 Alfa 164L

Others:
1989 Mazda RX-7 GTU
1992 Nissan 300ZX
1976 TVR 2500M
1972 MGB
1985 Toyota MR-2[/SIZE]
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 01:42 PM

Another article, didn't want to start a new thread, couldn't find a better fit. Anyways news about the new possible Sud / Sprint. Supposedly it will be called the Junior.
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/21/a...-in-the-works/

Quote:
Alfa Romeo hot hatchback in the works
Posted Aug 21st 2006 3:58PM by Stuart Waterman
Filed under: Hatchbacks

First Audi, now Alfa Romeo - it seems everyone wants a hot hatchback to compete with BMW's popular MINI Cooper S. This one doesn't sound like blue-sky speculation though, with Automotive News Europe reporting that an Alfa Romeo "Junior" three-door hatchback has been green-lighted by parent company Fiat for a 2008 launch. The news marks a revival of the Alfa Junior nameplate, last used in the late '60s and early '70s.

The Junior will become Alfa's entry-level model, as the automaker tries to expand beyond its niche-market status. The Junior will be based on Fiat's successful Grande Punto platform, and will be built on a Fiat assembly line. At the top of the range, the Junior will be gifted with a 230 hp turbocharged direct-injection gasoline powerplant, married to Alfa's part-time four-wheel drive system. Milder models will feature both gas and diesel powerplants in a FWD configuration.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 04:35 PM

So the top of Brera V6 will push 260 hp and the top of the line Junior will push 230 hp and will be considerably less in terms of weight (I'm assuming) and price? Sounds like Junior will be fantastic bargain. I just hope it doesn't resemble a Fiat too much. I found this sketch a while ago of what claims to be an early interpertation of the new entry-level Alfa.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 07:28 AM

I bet the Brera will get a power hike by the time this Jr comes to market. Besides we haven't seen the GTA yet.

Also today italiaspeed is reporting about the 599 tour. Apparently when the two cars get to San Diego their Fiat support cars will be replaced by Alfa 159 wagons for the US leg.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnei
Also today italiaspeed is reporting about the 599 tour. Apparently when the two cars get to San Diego their Fiat support cars will be replaced by Alfa 159 wagons for the US leg.
Interesting development - did someone say brand awareness?

btw guys, you're really missing out. Went to the local showroom last weekend and the 159 and Brera are stunningly good looking cars in the flesh. If i had $50K AUD i would have handed it over in a suitcase and taken it home there and then. Heard one of the Brera V6s start up too, be assured that they may have GM bottom ends, but they still sound marvellous. Didnt get a drive though, I think they worked out I wasnt a serious customer..
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 07:57 AM

Garage
8c

"ALFA ALERT
This just in, following our recent report on Alfa Romeo's plans to return to the United States ("The United States of Alfa," July 17): Alfa's lead entry in the market may be the limited-edition $200,000 8C Competizione coupe. "

We were just in Seattle for the Real Madrid game and the very friendly Ferrari / Maser salesman said the same thing - the 8C will be sent to cause a sensation and get people in the door to see the other models. I know I'LL go see it!

1967 1600 Spider
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 07:46 PM

Sorry to say it, but that Spider looks, well, Japanese. It is missing something. It just doesn't work for me. I really dislike the wheels. Perhaps the whole car would look better with different wheels?

It is a fierce, piercing shade of yellow, aglow with passion and defiance,
vibrating with the energy of a thousand suns, of thunder at dawn.

Pete
Have - 93 Spider Veloce (2006)
Had - 86 GTV-6 (1987-2006)
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Agreed - it needs the phone-dial wheels.

Patrick Hung
'59 Sprint Veloce * '63 Giulia Spider * '67 GT 1300 Junior

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithanF
Sorry to say it, but that Spider looks, well, Japanese. It is missing something. It just doesn't work for me. I really dislike the wheels. Perhaps the whole car would look better with different wheels?
I beg to differ a little. To me this design is very unique and unlike most things that follow a Japanese trend. I remember about a decade ago when the Japanese started putting those clear lense headlights on all of their cars and then the whole world followed their example. I don't see anything like that here. The Spider appears to be "fat" in the pictures but I always associated that trend more with German cars like the Audi TT than anything from Japan. The Miata and Honda S2000 do not have that kind of posture. The headlights are opened, unique, and muscular. The only thing to me that I could see someone saying is reminiscent of something Japanese would be the rear end of the car. If someone said there was something "Lexus-ish" going on back there (with the taillights especially) I would be able to see what they are talking about.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 11:35 PM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
The new spider looks heavy in the belt line and fat in the back. I would like a more rakish look with wider fenders to sport wider tires. This picture makes it look like a Miata and that is what my wifes first words out were "Honey, it looks like a Miata...sort of" and she said after that, "I love my spider and how it looks." I want a spider that looks like no one elses and has the guts to kick butt. Ok, so who is going to have the first programmable MAP computer for this?
Two more years...

Christopher

www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 12:00 AM

miata? tell her she's off her tree

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode