Steering wheel removal w/pix - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By divotandtralee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Steering wheel removal w/pix

There was a thread with steering wheel removal and photos that have disappeared. Today I removed the thin wood wheel from my Berlina to replace with the fatter spider wood wheel. When i removed the wheel, Ifound it was actually a simulation plastic, no wonder I never liked it. Attached are phots with the puller installed and the puller and bolts seperately.
When removing the wheel:
1) Remove the hub cover, has three plastic tynes that snap out, carfull, you don't want to snap them
2) pull the rubber plug out of the stater tube, the horn wire runs through the plug (disconnect the battery first) then disconnect the wire from through tube from the wire from the wheel.
3) Remove the securing nut (27mm) and remove the washer underneath
4) reinstall the nut, don't tighten, just to level with the end of the tube, there now will be a small gap between the nut and the wheel.
5) I've made a threaded rod with nuts, and one end shaped to fit in the tube, resting on the securing nut, if you don't have the nut there, you split/bend the tube, very bad.
6) The bolts that go into the steering wheel are metric and need to be run deeply into the wheel, heavy washers on the puller head.
7) You'l feel everything "move" when the wheel brakes free, then stop, remove the puller and jiggle the wheel off.
Attached Images

current:
84 Spider Veloce
ex:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

solve problems, learn something new!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 11:53 AM

Great write up, well done Rogerspeed!
Here is a pic of one that I had to contend with, that I hope will reinforce your comment...
Quote:
"if you don't have the nut there, you split/bend the tube, very bad."

Enough said!
Note the fact that the PO had mushroomed the shaft, PLUS stripped the threads out of the puller holes!
I had spend about 3 hours levering/hammering the splayed end straight to make it so it WOULD come off first, then I had to mod a 3 leg gear puller to reach into the 3 holes!
It eventually came off, but it was a horrible job!
Then I will have to helicoil the wheel now, if indeed I can! I may just oversize the holes and rethread a larger bolt.
Trust me " ounce of prevention is worth a pound or cure!"

Red 1974 Spider (Restoring!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blue 1974 Spider (Sold 12/2016)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 08:41 AM

Thanks for reposting

That picture was worth a thousand words. I went over to Harbor Freight and
picked up a "bear paw" puller for 10.99. Then I went to Ace Hardware and got two allen head 6mm bolts. Rethreaded the shaft nut loosely, and after a few anxious moments the steering wheel came loose. But my locking washer is missing. I'll see if they are still available from Alfa or make one.

Thanks,
Wes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 08:51 AM

I've had my puller (from Pep Boys) on for a few days now. The first time I somewhat sheared the threads on one of the 6mm bolts when trying to tighten the puller. Fortunately there was no serious damage to the threads in the wheel; a 6mm tap got me going again with another bolt. Here's the current setup. It's been on for 3 days now, with WD-40 and a hammer every morning. I'm hoping it'll move sometime in the next few days.

The blue tape is just so I could see how far the 6mm bolts go into the wheel. They go in about a quarter of an inch on mine, which is all the way through the threads so I think it's ok. If I go too far I hit the horn button assembly which I assume is a bad thing.
Attached Images

Last edited by haus; 05-11-2006 at 09:27 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 11:46 AM

It's time to stop tightening...

When the front part of the assembly begins to pull away from the spoke housing, I assume. All this and it still won't budge. Waited until the neighbors left and banged the crap out of it until my ears hurt. I'll leave it for a week and then I'm giving up before I destroy something expensive! I loosened the center nut about 3-4 turns, just enough so that the big washers press against the center nut and not the tube. I guess I'm not that desperate to get the wheel off after all!
Attached Images

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 01:52 PM

Rogerspeed,
I still cannot figure out how to remove the steering wheel cover to access the wheel for removal. Can you detail 'tynes'.

Tony
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by graygrogan View Post
I still cannot figure out how to remove the steering wheel cover to access the wheel for removal. Can you detail 'tynes'.
The center cover has three "fingers" (what Rogerspeed called "tynes") that extend into holes in the steering wheel. You can see two of these rectangular-shaped holes at approx. 11:30 and 7:30 in Roberspeed's photo below.

The plastic the cover & fingers is made from becomes brittle after 40 years - they are easy to snap off. I have pried up the cover a bit, and sprayed in lubricant (silicone, WD-40) to ease the fingers slipping out from behind these holes. Then, just carefully lever up the cover, and with luck, it will pop off with its three fingers intact.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 11-14-2014 at 02:21 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 01:27 PM

Thanks Jay,
I`ll take your suggestion and spray silicone lube before trying to pry off the cover.
Tony
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

when prying, use a glassman's tool (plastic, slightly bigger and shaped like an emery board, has wedge ends) and push in between the cap and the wheel so you put a little pressure on the tang inward to unlock, then twist

current:
84 Spider Veloce
ex:

solve problems, learn something new!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 05:41 AM

Thanks for the tip rogerspeed. I have a small plastic putty knife which should work.
Regards,
Tony
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:50 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I needed to pull the steering wheel on my Montreal and this thread was very helpful. FWIW, here is my version of the tool. The 3" metal flange (at any Ace Hardware) has holes that line up perfectly for the M6 bolts.

Thanks!
Attached Images

John (JP) Perry

1972 Montreal - done!
1982 GTV6 - making it a track car!
1991 164B - sold 8/2013
1989 Milano Verde - sold 11/2012
1986 Spider Quad - sold 1/2012
1991 164L - sold 11/2011 and regret selling it
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 11:36 AM

I notice that you have nuts to use to tighten the threaded rod where it mates to the steering wheel threads. It's pretty importnat to do ths although I notice that none of the obve photos show this being done. The problem is that stuck steering wheels often put too much stress on the hub threads causing them pull out under pressure. It's always better to run a couple of nuts down the threaded rod and then tighten where the meet the hub. This adds strength and sharply reduces the chance of pulling the threads out of the hub. Ask me how I know . . .

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 12:55 PM

Garage
A tip that worked for me in removing the steering wheel from my 77 Giulia Nuova Super is as follows. Bought a $16 dollarish puller from O’Rielly, basically a thick bar with threaded center with provisions for the bolts that thread into the steering wheel, although they supply several bolts in the kit, they are too big. Sourced proper bolts (2) and 4 washers from hardware store. Set up the puller and started cranking on it, and as you know not much happens as those suckers are on there. The tip is that I used a keyboard aerosol cleaner, like Dustoff, turned the can upside down, when doing so a super cold liquid is emitted, as opposed to cold air when used the product as intended. So I super cooled the steering shaft, by spraying the liquid on the shaft and after another quarter turn on the center threaded rod the steering wheel easily popped off. Easy as pie. 🥧

Cars ruined my life! 😱
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 04:07 PM

Another good one is ti tghen the puller bolt down real tight and give the head of the puller screw a whack with a ball peen hammer. Same principle used to pop tie rod ends off by striking the tie rod to pop it off. The vibration harmonics breaks it free.
ossodiseppia likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode