A Poll for the Future of Alfa Romeo - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
View Poll Results: If Alfa is to be a slightly-tweaked version of something else what should it be?
1) A rebadged Fiat (An Italian econobox with too much horsepower for the chassis.) 12 21.82%
2) A rebadged Chrysler (An American lead sled with undersized brakes.) 2 3.64%
3) A rebadged Audi (A nose-heavy isolation chamber for the heavily-indebted upwardly mobile.) 4 7.27%
4) A rebadged VW (German luxury built to an Eastern European price point.) 2 3.64%
5) A rebadged Mazda (‘Zoom-Zoom’ and ‘SkyActiv’ for the Millennial generation) 15 27.27%
6) A rebadged nothing (“Close her down. The dream died a generation ago.”) 20 36.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 06:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
That is not true. The VW Golf has an east west engine. No Audi has that.

Pete
Volkswagen Group MQB platform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Antti: --ex Alfas:155 2.0 8V '92,155 2.0 16V '96,156 V6 '98,156 V6 '02
http://carpix.1g.fi/kuvat/carpix/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALDI View Post
This Fiat list seems to be incomplete and outdated.
Probably because the energy of the common Alfisti or Fiat fan is spent bickering on web forums instead of getting things done. There is no secret cabal writing the stuff on Wikipedia. It's done by you and me.

Me and some guy from Finland wrote the majority of the 8C Competizione and Montreal articles on the English wikipedia. You made a poll here hanging Alfa Romeo out to dry, as well as entertain suggestions on how VAG shares their platforms among marques.

If I wanted to sell an Alfa to a good home, would the home be yours?
post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorW View Post
If I wanted to sell an Alfa to a good home, would the home be yours?
My oldest and least valuable car stays in the garage. The others stay outside in all weather. Can you guess which one stays inside?

When Alfa was 'sold' to Fiat, did it go to a good home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 05:05 PM

Hey Malicious...I don't think the Alfas will be in the same building as the Chryslers..as far as sales go...Service will be a different situation (I think) and that's where my concern lies..First of all, there must be a 5 year, 50,000 mile complete routine maintenance package including brakes and rotors...This is the first necessary step to compete with the big boys...I love Alfas but we're talking about capturing market share here and why would the average consumer buy a brand that has had a bad rep for reliability (warranted or not), had to leave this country because it didn't succeed, and throw his or her hard earned money at it, when for the same coin they can pick up a "Beemer" (God that makes me sick when I hear that) or better yet a cool Volvo and get 5 years of service and maintenance for free (with free loaner cars, etc)...That's my point, if Alfa is to succeed it must make itself a viable alternative and that can only happen by taking the perceived anxiety out of the ownership equation....Dino

1964 Giulia Sprint GT 1991 164 S President New York Alfa Romeo Owners Club
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Co-Chairman Alfamiglia Nordest 2015 www.alfa2015.com
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 PM

In answer to your question Maldi, re when Alfa was sold to Fiat did it go to a good home, for me the answer is: Yes. Better than the few other options that were around at the time.

I am possibly a little slow, but I am not exactly sure I understand your concerns Dino. From my observations from little ol Hobart, where I live, we actually don't have a fully fledged Alfa dealership. Rather only a representative mechanical workshop, who service and can purchase in new Alfas for a owner if they are willing to stump up the $$. The same is true also for Fiats, well apart from Vans which they do have in stock.

As to Chryslers, well we only get the mafia staff car model, plus some jeeps. This dealer already sells Mazdas as well, and from my observations the dealership is well respected here. Actually given the price of the big Chrysler it actually is seen as a luxury import, so if Alfas were to be sold alongside them, it wouldn't be a problem as far as I can see. However, as I qualified, I am only talking about this little place in which I live, realising that the world is somewhat bigger and more complex.

"Sporting blood has run through the veins of every Alfa Romeo produced over the last **100** !!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
years"
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 05:18 AM

A re-badged Maserati would be my choice at a price point Sergio won't allow to happen as long as a trident is on the grill.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L Auto (Argento/Nero) - Sold Oct 2014
2012 Fiat Sport Prima Edizione #474 (Grigio/Nero)
2005 Maserati Coupe GT (Grigio Palladio, Couio)
post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloce49 View Post
A re-badged Maserati would be my choice at a price point Sergio won't allow to happen as long as a trident is on the grill.
Well, if it were rebadged there wouldn't be a trident on the grill there would be a cross and serpent.

But I understand what you are saying. A Ferrari/Maserati/Alfa tie up would be nice but if the cheapest current Maserati is US$123,000 I'd expect the cheapest Alfa couldn't be less than US$100,000. (Because it would be built on a Maserati platform with Maserati engines (perhaps modified as with the 8C) on a Maserati assembly line.) *sigh*

But Maserati should have been one of the poll selections.
post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 05:38 AM

I meant he will allow no Maseratis with a $50k price tag but he could use the Alfa brand to fill that niche in the US if there was some Maserati DNA in it.

1991 Alfa Romeo 164L Auto (Argento/Nero) - Sold Oct 2014
2012 Fiat Sport Prima Edizione #474 (Grigio/Nero)
2005 Maserati Coupe GT (Grigio Palladio, Couio)
post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

OK, I understand now and I agree, this could be done without diluting the Maserati brand.
post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 06:53 PM

Service and the US customer

Super 1600...Trying to figure out Sergio is like trying to figure out women when you (or I) were/was dating !!....In the US (my little corner), the customers (especially NY metro area) are somewhat spoiled and self-absorbed..The world revolves around them...Many dealerships come to the customer's house with a loaner car and pick up the customer's car for service...they then do the reverse when service is complete (as well as wash the customer's car---which I hate because they either take it to a car wash or have some pimply faced kid who has no idea that he's rubbing the grime into the clearcoat to create spider whirls because he's improperly trained). So this is the reality of customer service here and frequently what dictates a buying decision for the consumer because they are not just looking at the car, but the dealer's reputation for service...and add to that no one wants to pay for it anymore...including brakes (see Volvo and BMW).

post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Exclamation For Sergio it's about the $$$ not the history

Fiat says new Brazil factory benefits from public financing | Reuters

Italian automaker Fiat is spending 2.3 billion euros on a new factory in Brazil and will receive public financing and tax breaks, something not allowed in Europe, Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne said in a statement on Friday.

He is pushing Fiat as a global brand not an Italian one. How long until they have zero factories in Italy?
post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 08:18 PM

Maldi...For Sergio there is no doubt it's about the $$$$....Why pick up Chrysler? The last time Alfa and Chrysler got hitched it was a massive abortion.
However, instantly and on the cheap, he got controlling interest in a company that gave him brick and mortar in the US with established dealerships and factories...the only way to beat the Euro globally?? Build it outside of Europe...If only Greece could figure that out...Oh, I fear my parents homeland is doomed....Dino

post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 08:17 AM

Since when did "no news is good news" turn into "any news are bad news"? Time to unsubscribe from this thread, methinks. It's starting to smell like a slightly comical crankfest, like the global warming thread in the Off Topic section.

YMMV.
post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Arrow The People Have Spoken!

A plurality (36%) says that the Alfa name should be retired. I sympathize that new Alfas will never be like the Alfas of yore but "you can never go home again". Alfa has had many ups and downs in 100 years. I hope the world doesn't give up on it and it lives to write a new chapter.

The next group (27%) would favor a tie up with Mazda. Mazda has slipped into Alfa's former market in some ways by making fun-to-drive, light-weight sedans and roadsters. It also has a nice RWD platform that the (recently-discontinued) RX-8 and MX-5 share. The rotary engine is a good display of commitment to interesting technology which is an Alfa trait. (Not saying that Alfa should adopt rotary engines though!) However, Mazda is too small to stand alone. Now that they have lost their relationship with Ford they are looking for a new "dance partner" which could be Fiat in the form of Alfa. The bad news is that, in the US at least, Mazda suffers from sub-par reliability and spotty dealer service, two things that Alfa needs to avoid assiduously.

The next group (22%) favors continuing sharing platforms and components with Fiat. I am not sure of the reasoning here unless it is that Fiat is Italian and so should Alfa be. But in the world of global branding and sharing I am not sure what being from one country means anymore. Also, it is unclear Fiat has a RWD platform for Alfa to use.

Chrysler does have such platforms but the philosophy of Chryslers as large luxury American cars seems anathema to the Alfa ethos of lightweight sports sedans. Although it seems Alfa's will be getting the Chrysler Pentastar V6 engines (as will Jeeps) which is said to be better than the (modified) GM/Holden V6 that Alfas use now. There are still rumors of a bespoke Alfa V6 being under development, perhaps the engineers can summon the spirit of Giuseppe Busso for guidance.

As for Audi/VW they don't have much to offer Alfa EXCEPT wads of cash to develop new platforms and engines for Alfa. If they bought Alfa would they do this? Lambos use Audi V10s, so maybe not.

I should have added Maserati to the list. Using Maserati/Ferrari parts would make for nice cars (see the 8C Competizione) but would price Alfa out of the mid-range market. If Alfas are to be sold at joint Fiat dealerships here in the US then this is a no go. Five years ago there was an idea of selling Alfas at Maserati/Ferrari dealerships but that idea seems to have been abandoned.

As always, money will decide the fate of Alfa. (Insert a silent thanks to Nicola Romeo here.) A tie up with Mazda may just bring sufficient economies of scale to keep our beloved marque alive.
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 08:03 AM

Garage
Mazda maybe good for Fiat but not much fun for Alfa except the MX5 platform. Alfa has not used GM/Holden V6 for two years. Best option seems to be the current way they are doing, but they should use more Maserati synergy.

-Antti: --ex Alfas:155 2.0 8V '92,155 2.0 16V '96,156 V6 '98,156 V6 '02
http://carpix.1g.fi/kuvat/carpix/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode